Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: CM0102 in the Media / YouTube / Twitter etc.

CM0102 in the Media / YouTube / Twitter etc.

Like the title says, would people be interested in a CM series? I done one or two a while back, but never posted them here.

I feel it'd be a good way to get popurlarity back on my channel, and on for this (very old) game.

Tom.
    Last edited by bluestillidie00; 15-12-14 at 09:09 PM.

I'm still wondering if anyone would be interested in a youtube series?

Probably if it's good

I figure it would be easier to make it entertaining by writing it rather than doing videos, since I would imagine commentary would be a pain (plus I think writing would give you a lot more freedom to develop characters etc if you wanted to expand from just the matches themselves). I'd give it a watch like and see if it is entertaining.

Yeah, I might give it a look as well. Depends what kinda series it ends up being, really.

Talking Cherno Samba Article on BBC Sport

Hi guys,

I've been a long-time member but I usually just lurk these forums.

I thought you'd appreciate this article on Cherno Samba posted on BBC Sport a couple of hours ago:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33657802

The story about ordering a phone reminded me of a book I read a while back with loads of Champ Man anecdotes:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Football-Man.../dp/0956497179

It was a fun read but I'm not sure it's worth £10.

Anyway, I just thought you guys might enjoy the Cherno article!

Nice one - maybe explains 10 sales on ebay for us on past few hours!

I read that book as well - worth reading

I was just about to post a thread about this! Yeah, it's a shame he's had to retire so early, and that his career was less illustrious than CM01/02 had predicted. Whenever I see articles about footballers who were more well-known for their Champ Man exploits than their real-life exploits, I can't tell whether it's amusing or sad. There were so many: Samba, Mark Kerr, Tonton Zola Moukoko, Justin Georcelin... how many of them truly held such promise and how many of them were just poor judgement? I doubt we'll ever know.

Dermotron is offline Sir Mergements
    Director
    Manager
    VIP
    Captain

Some were poor judgement. More recent being 'The New Thuram' Tony Huston and his stellar career of Le Mans II, Verona (0 apps), La Louviere Centre (7 apps), free agent for over a year

Just saw this posted on our CM Facebook page.

Freddy Adu is another perfect example. Shame his career didn't work out although wasn't he decent at Plymouth?

Hes still only 19 isnt he?

26 now, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    26 now, I think.
    Thanks

man was a legend. i remember him at Plymouth Argyle. seemed like everyone knew who he was even before e got here, scored for us away at coventry, place went nuts.
    he tried his best and played to the crowd, but he was never really going anywhere, shame really.

Quote Originally Posted by silent alarm View Post
    Hi guys,

I've been a long-time member but I usually just lurk these forums.

I thought you'd appreciate this article on Cherno Samba posted on BBC Sport a couple of hours ago:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33657802

The story about ordering a phone reminded me of a book I read a while back with loads of Champ Man anecdotes:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Football-Man.../dp/0956497179

It was a fun read but I'm not sure it's worth £10.

Anyway, I just thought you guys might enjoy the Cherno article!
    Oh wow! Straight to my wishlist!

On the same topic, I recenly asked Wael Reyad (my fav CM/FM player all time) on Twitter if he knew about his virtual fame (although I'm sure he does).
    No answer
    I'm sure most of them see it in a negative way more than anything. People know them for virtual gaming, while they are actual player, and they wish they were known for whom they really are, not in a game
    Last edited by Romano338; 22-11-15 at 07:46 AM.

Fanzine Article

Hi all don't know if this is the correct forum to post this but this is an article I did for the Wigan Athletic fanzine "The Mudhutter" which came out last week.

Championship Manager
    (On a budget)

We all love football management games don’t we? If you can’t stand them just take a minute before you rip this page out and persevere with me. Now you might not like them but maybe your kids do or even your grandkids so stick around and let me save you some money and get one up on’t t’other granddad.

The current Football Manager 2016 game retails for around £40 on Amazon. So let’s say you decide to have Spam butties for a week so you can afford to buy this for the kids. In a couple of days the said game plops onto your Welcome mat and you and the kids fire up the old computer so you can blaze a trail across the football world. Except you can’t... unless you upgrade to a new computer that can support the specifications this game so hungrily needs. I won’t bore you with the details (Has if you’re not bored already) but the good ol’ USA landed a man on the moon in 1969 with a ZX Sinclair Speccy with 16kb of ram (No need to Google just trust me)

So your dream of winning the Champions League with Wigan Athletic is over, or is it...
    Fear not skint dad/granddad I have the answer to your Championship Conundrum and it won’t cost you a penny! (Unless you want to buy me a pint of cider such is your gratitude ahem) First of all head over to the excellent website http://champman0102.co.uk

Once there you can download the official Eidos Championship Manager 2001/2002 game free. Eidos have made this freely available as long as you get it from their site which the download link will take you to. Also download Virtual Clone Drive from https://www.elby.ch/en/products/vcd.html with this you can “mount” (Stop sniggering at the back) the game. This means you can install the game without copying it to a disk.

Next up download SI Games Official Patch v3.9.68 from the Championship Manager site this fixes a lot of bugs in the original game. Unzip the patch and it will automatically install into the game. That’s it you can play Championship Manager 01/02. What’s that? You wanted an up to date version? With all the latest transfers? Okay, okay it’s time for a brew and surely you don’t need me to tell you how to do that? No sugar and light on the milk please. Oh and throw in a couple or six chocolate digestives too...

Right let’s get cracking again. On the Championship Manager 01/02 website go to the “downloads” section and under the “Patches” section find and download “Tapani 2.21.1” and run it. This patch will allow you to apply updates to data, graphics, tactics etc.
    Now go to the download section again and under “Data Updates” find and download “October 2015 update” Follow the tutorial on the site to install this to your game and viola you have all the players from the 2015/16 season!

Now for the fun bit with no torpid technical details because the Championship Manager 01/02 website has all the tutorials you’ll need to make it a supercharged visual delight.
    Take a look at the Forum section on the site and you’ll see different sections such as Data Updates, Graphics, Networking, Patches, and Tactics etc. From these groups you can modify Champ Manager to your own tastes. For instance you can play the game with a Legends Database that will include at least 6 legendary players from each Premiership Club. You can also play seasons like 87/88 or 95/96 etc

The site has just posted an April 2016 preview and with this you can look at the Wigan Athletic data and inform the programmers of any changes you think should be made and they will update the data so that when the April update is finalised it will be completely up to date. The work the team of volunteers do on this game is amazing and you can donate as little as £1 towards the cost of running the site. This will give you a VIP subscription but you don’t have to if you would rather not.
    I actually spend more time tinkering with the game than I do playing it. I’ve changed the fonts to my tastes. Imported tactics (I’m currently using the Paris Saint - Germain formation) Picked up training tips, refined my set piece routines, played tika taka, long ball (Ooo which ones best latics fans?) You can set your team to tackle like Charles Hawtrey or Charles Bronson. Say a player on the opposing team gets a yellow card you can make one of your team to keep running at him so that he’d be loathe to tackle for fear of getting a red card or he will actually get sent off. Some players will dislike other players in the same side and have to be kept apart!

I have also imported all the current team logos to the game plus stadiums, legends pictures etc. You can even set up your own database which I’ve not got round to yet but a league comprising all the players and teams from the 1970/71 Northern Premier League is on my ever lengthening to do list.
    So what are you waiting for Dad/Grandad/Mum/Grandmother? Follow the tutorials on the Championship Manager 01/02 website and you will soon get the hang of it.
    If you prefer a simpler Football Manager game I recommend you get Dosbox you can Google it or visit www.dosbox.com its a free emulator that allows you to play old games or D-Fend Reloaded from http://dfendreloaded.sourceforge.net/

Then go to www.homeoftheunderdogs.net and download Ultimate Soccer Manager games, the Premier Manager series etc. Many other websites have old games for free but only use trusted sites. You can find guides and tutorials on these sites and YouTube etc. It may seem complicated at first but it’s worth persevering and hey if I can do it (and I’ve only just learned to tie my shoelaces) then anybody can.

Happy gaming!

Tony Topping

Please forgive any inaccuracies

A good read apart from one glaring error.

You failed to mention me, the funniest man on the forum (2015) and winner of Post of the Year (2015).

The more people on here the better mate, nicely done!

Nice one mate - good article - cheers for getting us out there in the Wigan fanzine!

Good luck for rest of the season!

Phew! Thanks lads glad it was okay :-)

Thanks Terry, I had been meaning to share the article this week but been a bit bogged down with work at work (fancy that!).

A great read and I trust it went down well in the fanzine?

Thanks Mark, yes it went down well and hopefully some of those who read it made their way to this excellent site.

And we sold out :-)

Thank you

What happened to the heroes of Championship Manager 2001/2002

Afternoon lads,

I answered a few questions for a chap who emailed me directly. He's since published the questions as part of a blog about the game which is an interesting read.

Here it is: https://smfyfe.wordpress.com/2016/05...-manager-0102/

Enjoy!

Dermotron is offline Sir Mergements
    Director
    Manager
    VIP
    Captain

Interesting read Hearing from real life players is great

It was a good read. Some of the players mentioned weren't ones I am familiar with. Would be good to try and do a feature on the other ODB players too.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast