Gerald's Game - 5/10.
    Lucy - 5/10.
    The Book of Life - 6/10.
    Final Flight of the Osiris - 6/10.
    The Second Renaissance Part I - 5/10.
    The Second Renaissance Part II - 5/10.
    The Animatrix - 6/10.
    Two Weeks Notice - 6/10.
    Pirates of the Caribbean: Tales of the Code: Wedlocked - 5/10.
    S. Darko - 1/10.
    Corpse Bride - 6/10.
    Hotel for Dogs - 4/10.
    Someone Great - 5/10.
    Shazam! - 5/10.
    Fractured - 7/10.
    Aquaman - 5/10.
    Imagine That - 6/10.
    Source Code - 6/10.
    Last Action Hero - 7/10.
    Aladdin (2019) - 8/10.
    The Mystery of Michelle - 5/10.
    Baby Driver - 7/10.
    Toy Story 4 - 6/10.
    Mr. & Mrs. Smith - 8/10.

We're on 891 films now since I started rating them

Quite enjoyed the new Aladdin film. Not so much the new Toy Story, it kind of felt too similar to the one with Lotto to me? Think it's been done to death now.

I found a new feature on the IMDB site too (Connections) where if a film is linked to others, it'll list them. Thought it was handy to help watch things in the right order, it's how I realised there were short films out there for the Matrix and Pirates of the Caribbean so I gave them a whirl.

vCash
    Some in there that I've enjoyed, too - It's Kind of a Funny Story, Mr. Right, Limitless.

Wow, that's a lot! I've got 612 rated on IMDb, but that's taken over seven years.

vCash
    Looks like the first film I rated was back in August 2016, so my collection is over 3 years now. Guess we are movie nerds! Nothing I like better than coming home from football on Sunday then crashing out for the day on the sofa watching films to be honest!

vCash
    Haha, I was certainly very prolific when I was living on my own when I started rating films, helped by how accessible most were for free on torrents etc. back then.

Don't really seek films out any more, just gobble up the shit that Netflix/Amazon/Sky serve me. But probably still get through more than a non-nerd

vCash
    Long may it continue lads as I work in the industry

vCash
    Some pretty decent films lately. Loved the Irishmen. Midway also ok.

vCash
    Get free cinema tickets with my work healthcare so been taking the kids to some flicks recently

Frozen 2 - very good - fair play

Stardog and Turbocat - awful - walked out 2/3rd way through as kids were bored

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Two months since my last list was posted:

Stranger Than Fiction - 7/10.
    The Taking of Pelham 123 -6/10.
    Anaconda - 5/10.
    The Cabin in the Woods - 6/10.
    It's Kind of a Funny Story - 7/10.
    Due Date - 6/10.
    The Captive - 5/10.
    Surrounded - 1/10.
    Mystic Pizza - 5/10.
    Tall Girl - 5/10.
    #SquadGoals - 4/10.
    2012 - 6/10.
    Ravenous - 5/10.
    Van Helsing - 5/10.
    Mr. Right - 7/10.
    The Snowman - 6/10.
    Tomb Raider (2018) - 7/10.
    Dark Shadows - 6/10.
    Friends with Money - 4/10.
    Bright - 6/10.
    Super Dark Times - 4/10.
    The Lego Batman Movie - 6/10.
    Dumplin' - 5/10.
    Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls - 7/10.
    American Pie - 8/10.
    The Vow - 7/10.
    The Goonies - 8/10.
    The Ritual - 6/10.
    Prisoners - 7/10.
    A Fistful of Dollars - 6/10.
    Limitless - 7/10.
    A Stranger Outside - 4/10.
    Gerald's Game - 5/10.
    Lucy - 5/10.
    The Book of Life - 6/10.
    Final Flight of the Osiris - 6/10.
    The Second Renaissance Part I - 5/10.
    The Second Renaissance Part II - 5/10.
    The Animatrix - 6/10.
    Two Weeks Notice - 6/10.
    Pirates of the Caribbean: Tales of the Code: Wedlocked - 5/10.
    S. Darko - 1/10.
    Corpse Bride - 6/10.
    Hotel for Dogs - 4/10.
    Someone Great - 5/10.
    Shazam! - 5/10.
    Fractured - 7/10.
    Aquaman - 5/10.
    Imagine That - 6/10.
    Source Code - 6/10.
    Last Action Hero - 7/10.
    Aladdin (2019) - 8/10.
    The Mystery of Michelle - 5/10.
    Baby Driver - 7/10.
    Toy Story 4 - 6/10.
    Mr. & Mrs. Smith - 8/10.

We're on 891 films now since I started rating them

Quite enjoyed the new Aladdin film. Not so much the new Toy Story, it kind of felt too similar to the one with Lotto to me? Think it's been done to death now.

I found a new feature on the IMDB site too (Connections) where if a film is linked to others, it'll list them. Thought it was handy to help watch things in the right order, it's how I realised there were short films out there for the Matrix and Pirates of the Caribbean so I gave them a whirl.
    The ones in bold are certainly surprising, especially as I see Shazam and Aquaman as a better edition to the DCEU with Shazam around more of a 7/10 personally - Levi is such a underrated actor! Also agreed with Toy Story 4, was rather underwhelming after all the hype.

Stranger then Fiction is a great, underated film for me which showed Will Ferrel at one of the best performances he's ever had. Not too much OTT, but enough to get enough from him to get an emotional reaction to the story. Though. I do love a little Meta now and then.

Cabin in the Wood is actually one of my favoured film of the horror/comedy genre and normally get about 8/10 for me, despite the rather random ending to it all.

vCash
    I think I expected a lot more of Acquaman if I'm honest. Shazam! was OK and I saw it got a high rating on IMDB (7.1), but not sure it was worthy of that. 6 at best.

Here's another updated list of movies since 5th November:

Kick-Ass 2 - 7/10
    Bad Boys - 7/10
    Thelma & Louise - 7/10
    RoboCop 2 - 4/10
    The Expendables - 7/10
    Earthquake Bird - 5/10
    The Longest Yard - 6/10
    Home Again - 7/10
    National Security - 5/10
    A Star Is Born - 8/10
    The Expendables 2 - 7/10
    Heathers - 5/10
    The Grinch - 6/10
    National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation - 6/10
    The Parent Trap - 5/10
    The Polar Express - 5/10
    Love Actually - 8/10
    The Christmas Chronicles - 6/10
    Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle - 7/10

Got a brand new Firestick so back on the Kodi bandwagon! Mixture of trending movies off there and Netflix. We're now on 920 rated films

vCash
    Aquaman was at least 7.5/10 for me.. Storyline was meh, but special effects were brilliant at times.

Shazam more 5.5/10.. Storyline was awful, acting wasn't much better.. A few funny moments saved it for me.

11. Christmas Vacation is an undisputed 10/10.

You're dead to me

vCash

13. Of course it is.... and I may be biased as it's one of the Christmas movies I've watched every year since I was a small child..... but I love it none the less

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    Frozen 2 - very good - fair play
    This.

Very enjoyable

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Dermotron For This Useful Post:

vCash
    El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie – 6/10. Not bad… I liked Breaking Bad but not as much as the people who proper loved it. Like I say, it was alright, but I don’t think it needed to be made. Surprised it’s been so well-received (7.4 on IMDb), I guess some people were desperate to find out what Jesse did next.

Ingrid Goes West – 6/10. I’ll watch anything with Elizabeth Olsen in.

The Big Sick – 6/10. It was alright, maybe expected more with the hype at the time. Probably a bit too long.

Table 19 – 6/10. Another that was ok… didn’t hate it, I guess. The ‘comedy’ element was a bit lacking.

CHIPS – 7/10. Cool cast, silly film but a steady stream of laughs. Apparently based on the cop show of the same name, but can’t say I’m aware of it!

Dumbo – 6/10. Got stuck babysitting over Christmas… to my surprise, this film wasn’t terrible.

All the Money in the World – 7/10. Don’t even know why I watched this, as I expected it to be boring (it’s the one where they reshot Kevin Spacey’s scenes with Christopher Plummer). Anyway, it was actually pretty good.

The Death of Stalin – 8/10. Really funny, my kind of pointless humour (written and directed by Armando Ianucci, so think of the style of The Thick of It). Tailed off a little at the end but it was definitely better than any 7s I’ve watched lately.

Long Shot – 6/10. Standard romcom fare in that it’s not particularly funny, but cast and soundtrack saved it. Hats off to Charlize Theron for being a babe for about 20 years.

Infinity Baby – 6/10. Only watched it cos it was late and it was the shortest film on my list that was on Prime. It was pretty weird, and black and white for some reason. Turns out I’ve seen another of the director’s films, and that was weird too… this wasn’t awful though – actually had a couple of big laughs amongst the weirdness!

vCash
    Yay, movie talk! Here's a few I saw recently.

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - 6,5(5)/10
    A lot of fun moments, exciting action and beautiful visuals, but the pacing is a disaster. Everything happens way too fast, so the big moments don't get the gravitas they deserve. As a standalone movie it's okay, but considering Rise in the grand scheme of Star Wars, it doesn't get a pass, because it breaks the lore too many times, and bringing back Palpy negates the narrative of the first 6 movies big time. So as a standalone I'd say 6,5 but in the Star Wars universe it'll probably get stuck at a 5.

Le Mans '66 / Ford v. Ferrari - 9/10
    A character drama hidden in a race action flick? Yes, please! Even if you're not into racing at all, there's a lot to like in this one. Christian Bale is brilliant and should have been nominated for an oscar, but the rest of the cast is also excellent. The pacing is great, the racing stuff is beautifully filmed but it never really takes center stage, as character development is more important and the movie allows its characters to really carry the weight of it all. Loved it!

Knives Out - 8,5/10
    A classic whodunnit where every little detail gets its payoff. Excellent cast, nice twists and turns, both laughs and exciting intrigue. Definitely recommend this one.

Jumanji: The Next Level - 6,5/10
    I liked the reboot quite a bit. It was fun and light-hearted, did enough with the characters to make us care and enough with the modernized premisse to keep us interested. This one is a solid continuation, where they mix up the cast a bit by putting different characters in different avatars, which the cast make quite a bit of fun with. The story is servicable at best, but there's enough to like to make this worth your time. Do watch "Welcome to the Jungle" first though, or you won't get many of the jokes.

The Good Liar - 6/10
    Brilliant cast doesn't get the script it deserves. I can't say much about why this movie doesn't work as well as I'd hoped, because I'll spoil major plot points. It gets a pass for me, because I love McKellen and Mirren so much, but this movie could have been a lot better if certain characters were better developed, and certain plot points were foreshadowed better. Or at all.

Zombieland: Double Tap - 6,5/10
    If you've seen the first Zombieland and liked it a lot, you'll like this one. It's not as good, but it's still fun. Again, watch the first movie befiore this one, or you won't get many of the jokes or character stuff.

The Irishman - 7/10
    I wanted to love this movie, and had very high expectations for it. It delivers, mostly. Great cast, especially Pesci was awesome. He hadn't done any acting in years, but he's still such a powerful actor. Great stuff. But.... my God this movie is slow. I'm very much okay with movies taking their time, but this is just too much. I actually got bored, even with such talent on screen. I still recommend it though. There's too much good about it to give it a low grade.
    Last edited by Asthereal; 15-01-20 at 01:31 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Asthereal For This Useful Post:

vCash
    1917 - Superb

Saw it in that 4DX thing which was decent

vCash
    Equalizer 2 (Denzil Washington) - SUPERB!

Doolittle (kids film at the cinema now) - decent enough for a watch with the little ones. Lovely WELSH accent on Robert Downey JR

vCash
    Seen a couple more in the meantime.

JoJo Rabbit - 8,5/10
    Taika Waititi said he was incapable of making a drama. At his press conference after receiving the oscar for best adapted screenplay for this movie.
    So he was lying, because this is secretly a character drama. It's just disguised as a comedy. And the character drama carries the movie.
    It's very powerful and the cast is great. Highly recommended.

Dark Waters - 7,0/10
    The true story part is what makes the movie work, as it makes you really feel it. But it also hampers the movie.
    Pacing is weak at times, and it can get a tad boring when your story is in large part about a man digging in files.
    But the strong cast carries the movie to very enjoyable levels. Solid effort overall.

Charlie's Angels (2019) - 6,0
    Oh dear Elizabeth Banks, don't go blaming men for your movie failing when almost all male characters in your movie are either stupid or just plain evil.
    But knowing all this, I went to see it anyway. Sort of as a dare from miss Banks. And it's not bad at all. It's quite fun actually. Thing is though: did we really need another Charlie's Angels?

Weathering With You - 7,5/10
    Japanese animation might put you off, but give this movie maker a chance. Weathering isn't as good as Your Name (from the same maker), but definitely worth your time.
    Beautiful animation, strong characters and a decent story. No idea how good the voice acting is though, as I don't speak a word of Japanese.

Parasite - 8,5/10
    Yeah, it's a deserved win. Ignore the haters. Very strong story and acting. Even if you completely ignore the thematic part of the movie.
    Not my favourite of the year, but it's definitely a great film. And let's face it: personal taste is a thing.

Little Women - 9,0/10
    Didn't expect to love this as much as I did. Very relatable story even though it's women in American Civil War times. Just feels very real.
    Also good thing I don't have a girlfriend as I am now in love with Saoirse Ronan. And why the f!@#% was Greta Gerwig not nominated for best director?
    Brilliant movie. Loved every second of it.

1917 - 8,5/10
    I didn't even finish my drink while watching this. That's how much this movie grabs you. See on the big screen while you can.
    Not much useful to say about it that you don't already know.
    One take filming works. Great achievement with so many actors, effects and whatnot. But it's the human element that really hits you, and this movie delivers on that as well.

I saw the last three in succession today. What a day!
    Wanted to see Bad Boys for Life and the Harley Quinn thing as well, but my head was full.
    Maybe next time, but they would have let me down anyway. Can't compete with these.
    Last edited by Asthereal; 17-02-20 at 02:43 PM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Asthereal For This Useful Post:

vCash
    With the nearing Armageddon I made a list of zombie movies you can enjoy in your last moments, they are all watchable movies imo, the worst thing that could happen is you dying of boredom:

28 Days Later
    28 Weeks Later
    Dawn of the Dead
    I am Legend
    Resident Evil
    Shaun of the Dead (comedy/horror)
    Slither
    War of the Worlds
    World War Z
    Zombieland (comedy/horror)

The Walking Dead series (seasons 1-2-3-4 for sure)

vCash
    Watched the film "Us" - bit weird but ok

Military Wives (missus choice) was actually better than I thought

vCash
    Just Before I Go – 5/10. Not great, didn’t really hold my attention. Some funny bits shoehorned in courtesy of a wAcKy ChArAcTeR.

The Irishman – 7/10. I can see why people might consider it a bit of a slog, but I’ve got no problem with a film that meanders. Enjoyable for the most part, some dodgy editing notwithstanding. Took me about six hours to watch it as I cooked dinner in the middle of it and then the internet was playing up.

Uncut Gems – 6/10. Was good to see Adam Sandler doing a proper film, but there’s only so much of his yelling I can take. This was alright, but dragged a bit in the middle.

Toy Story 4 – 5/10. I fear my Toy Story days might be behind me.

November Criminals – 6/10. It was ok, I guess. Quite short and easy enough to watch.

The Lion King – 7/10. The new one, obv. I thought it was pretty decent, having only heard bad things about it beforehand.

Blockers – 6/10. I suspect I’m not the target audience for prom films. This was meant to be like a female Superbad (same creators), didn’t quite hit the mark but the adult cast were good.

Uncle Drew – 5/10. Not the best basketball movie, but I was impressed with Kyrie Irving’s acting! Aaron Gordon not so much.

The Program – 7/10. I thought it was pretty good – haven’t really thought much about Lance Armstrong since he went down in disgrace, so this was a nice recap. Could’ve been so much longer, I feel like a few bits were just brushed over.

Coach Carter – 6/10. Probably no coincidence that I’ve watched a lot of sports films lately… this was alright. Better than Uncle Drew, not as good as The Program, so 6 it is!

vCash
    Diego Maradona film

Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 374344454647