Thread: BME managers

vCash

BME managers

Obviously, there is something to John Barnes' comments but is he that ignorant to the pig's ear he made at Tranmere, where a reluctant manager had more success? He also walked out on Jamaica when he was doing ok. Chris Ramsey was a victim of this I would argue, especially given that he's a really good coach.

Why is it that those who are most vociferous about this problem are the ones who get chances and blow them like Ince and Barnes?

vCash
    What are we talking about, the reverse racism argument that seems to be popping up all the time these days? It's bullshit.......

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by faz44 View Post
    Why is it that those who are most vociferous about this problem are the ones who get chances and blow them like Ince and Barnes?
    The man who invented the song "super caley go ballistic, celtic are atrocious?

Tournaments Won: 11

vCash
    While statistically there should be more managers given the amount of players, Barnes is simply a very bad manager. He could be as yellow as Homer Simpson, look like Mr. Miyagi or in fact be white and he still wouldn't get a job based on the one reason he hasn't got a managerial job, he's dreadful.

While there is a case some managers get jobs over and over even though they appear to be proven failures, there are 1000's of managers with similar records to Barnes that are like him, unemployed and wouldn't get a Sunday League job (they might get it as some sort of circus act). And none of them had such a cushy number as managing a club with essentially one team to beat.

Tournaments Won: 9

vCash
    Chris Hughton is indeed a rare manager in that he has been able to nail down a job well in the past. Chris Powell is another that has got a job pretty quickly this season but indeed there's not many more out there.

People like John Barnes or Sol Campbell who does like a moan, only come across as bitter to me. It's true that looking at those stats, Barnes did well at Jamaica and didn't lose a game. So why did he quit? He certainly didn't do well at Tranmere and at Celtic has a 'meh' record with 8 defeats.

I'm getting a bit fed up of reading about the Rooney Rule. I wish they'd get on with it and implement it and then maybe we can see whether there's just simply a lack of quality out there or more will start to take a chance.

vCash
    It's not as though it's the late 90s where famous players are walking into long term jobs. Maybe the last one was Gareth Southgate. If Sol Campbell said "I can't get an under 11s job, let alone actually manage" then I'd understand and sympathise. However, he and Ince have no interest in working their way up the ranks and are about as loyal as an alley cat, that comes from their playing careers too. Ince never left on good terms, even once.

Now Hughton and Powell? Hughton coached for years, loyal to Spurs, built a reputation and was held back not by race but by the perception of being too nice. Powell is also known as one of the nicest guys in football from a career which took him from the non league to three England caps. So you have guys like "Judas cunt with HIV" and "Judas" crying racism whilst "everybody liked Chris" and "a true gent" get jobs. Maybe it's left backs named Chris...

Tournaments Won: 4

vCash
    Barnes in my top 3 favourite ever players and always "talks" a good game but agree that he aint done much as a manager

What I would like to see some stats on is how many jobs he has applied for and how many BME candidates have applied for positions as well.

I haven't seen anything on this so not sure if

1 - BME not applying for jobs which brings the % number down when a manager decision is made
    2 - Can't be arsed to go into management/do relevant badges etc but might have a moan about it which may make you think a bigger % are not getting jobs

There will obviously be some clubs that still like in the old world and discriminate but I would be interested to see all the clubs Barnes and others have applied for

vCash
    The coaching badges thing was what got me about Ince. He cries racism whilst ignoring that he got the Blackburn job whilst being underqualified to coach the half term Football in the Community courses. He said "I didn't have time to do the badges", when he hadn't played an international since 2000.