Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: The Diamond Generation (or 'Only A Pawn In Their Game')

hinny.b is offline Hot Prospect for the Future

Journal Entry #38: Nuno Ricardo Felicio

Date: 17-12-16

Wow. The last four weeks felt like four years.

Tomorrow SC Braga will host the brilliant Porto at home. It has been some journey. We are still second in the Primeira Liga, three points behind the Champions, the mighty Benfica. Results have been going our way but only just - Maritimo: 2-0, Beira-Mar: 2-2, Setubal: 2-1 and Penafiel 2-1. Jorginho continues to score whenever he wants and tomorrow the team will give a long overdue debut to Wilson Eduardo! He would not join us in the summer from Sporting but went to Belenenses instead and then was persuaded to come here when the winter transfer window opened two days ago.

The press continue to harass me and I know that it is beginning to upset some here at the club. I have done nothing wrong. My conscience is clear. I am due before a disciplinary committee from the Portuguese FA very soon though. We shall see how things go.

The Day That the Futebol Clube do Porto Came to Town

It was a special day for some and a day to forget for others.

Five players lined up for their debuts from both sides but only one was needed to make the difference.

In the 4th minute - a moment of madness from Sergi Darder (recently acquired from Malaga for E5.75M) saw Ivan Cavaleiro pushed over and Porto were down to 10 men. It was only a matter of time then before the gates opened.

Gallantly they lasted until the 55th minute when a goal kick from Landu found Fernando Browne who headed the ball to Stelvio who then ran through the ranks unopposed before slotting the ball in the back of the net.

Jorginho added two more goals later on for good measure taking his Liga tally to 14 from 12 games.

These are Happy Days at SC Braga who will go into the festive break in second place behind the Mighty Benfica!

Journal Entry #1 : The General

Date : 03-01-17

That ####wit, Feliss - he really ####ing is!

He's been chasing that ####er Wilson Eduardo for a long time now and then he gets him, gives him a ####ing debut and then has him starting the next ####ing game and he scores twice so his team wins and then ####ing this!

Says he needs to focus on the national ####ing team!

He's a ####ing ####wit too ####ing right!

Went up before that #### of a ####ed-up ####ing committee too and ####ing talked absolute ####ing b###ocks!

Won't even ####ing tell me what he's ####ing done with my little ####ing bonus gifts!

####ing ##se!

A Bola 28-01-17

Nuno Ricardo Felicio is not an exciting manager.

His team selections are entirely predictable, if you’re fit and healthy and you played in the last game then you will no doubt play in this game too. If you had a bad performance last time then the chances are that you will have been substituted and in doing this NRF has warned you. It is the way he manages at club level and it is modelled on his international career.

And so when the Angolan national side lined up in Luanda earlier this afternoon to welcome South Africa in the second round of African Group Stage qualifying, it was no surprise to see the same starting eleven (and also the exact same bench) that took to the field in Conakry, Guinea a fortnight ago. That game was in the calendar as a friendly but Felicio famously described such games as no-easy-caps when he was answering questions at his recent Primeira Liga Disciplinary Committee appearance. As we all know by now, that did not turn out the way we had hoped (even though we sort of knew what to expect).

It was pointed out at that Committee Meeting that if one was to look at all of Angola’s footballing results since Felicio became the Head Coach just over two years ago then suspicions of match-fixing were obvious for all to see. 16 games and 16 wins. Mysterious black velvet bags being exchanged between the coach and a ‘benefactor’. Felicio’s legal representation (a man known as Ndo) pointed out that only 3 of these games were competitive and several teams have actually been played three times each so the achievement is not quite so impressive. This point would suggest why Angola are still only just inside the top 50 footballing nations in the latest world rankings.

It is sometimes hard to understand then how this team seem to have a resilience that pushes them towards their ultimate goal – World Cup Finals Qualification. They took another step towards that prize this afternoon when they played the African Cup of Nations ChampionsSouth Africa. They played them and they defeated them . . . 4-2 the final score. Angola took the lead and then doubled it before South Africa hit back twice to level things up. The real talking point were the substitutions or in particular one of the South African replacements. With the game delicately poised at 2-2, Gordon Igesund decided to substitute his ‘keeper in the 51st minute! Why he decided to do that will remain a mystery but if he was expecting some sort of reaction from his team then his gamble backfired in spectacular fashion.

Angola top the group with 6 points, the same as Ghana but having played a game less and Nuno Ricardo Felicio gets to plan the next two games against The Democratic Republic of Congo and Guinea-Bissau. We all wonder what the team and formation will be!

Lucas Joao's first goal (8th appearance),
    Cavanda's first goal (17th appearance).
    Jorginho's 12th and 13th goals (11 appearances).
    All 3 goal scorers got an assist too, along with the fabulous Mendonca.

Date: 01-02-17

The General: Hey, Feliss, that guy in A Bola said you were a boring #### - now that's what I call good ####ing journalism, hehe!
    NRF:

Date: 25-02-17

Today is the day the Democratic Republic of Congo are hosting Angola in the 3rd Round of fixtures of the Group Stage of Qualifying for the World Cup Finals.

The table so far looks like this:

Angola have made two changes from their previous squad - Helder Costa withdrew last week with a strained neck - the Boavista-bound player should also be unavailable for the match against Guinea-Bissau in a fortnight. Jean Black from De Treffers in the Netherlands has been drafted into the squad and could win his second cap in the match later. Mingo Bile also withdrew yesterday (bruised shin) and has been replaced by Pirolito from Braga B. That change is almost like for like. Rumour has it that the Angolan Head Coach, Nuno Ricardo Felicio, has set his team a target of going one better than Ghana in every match they play so we shall see if his players can respond to the challenge. Angola have recently moved up to 32 in the world rankings courtesy of some fine wins and DRC have dropped to 103 so this could perhaps be a mismatch. Time will tell.

BREAKING NEWS

Date : 25-02-17

AS IT STANDS

Same Old Faces

One of the last things I did at SC Braga before I resigned was sort out a pre-contract agreement with Lucas Joao. He will join the club in the summer and is very much looking forward to his big move.

Date : 25-02-17

Call Me Boring

Jean Black replaced the injured Helder Costa, the soon to be ex-Benfica Boy. He would not join me at SC Braga, said it would be difficult to leave and then agreed to join Boavista.

STATS DON'T LIE

My only real concern used to be Amaro, the captain and always influential. He never ever seems to be 100%. I tell the boys about the time I visited England as an exchange student and had the great pleasure to spend some time in the lovely city of Birmingham. It was there I found God - or Paul McGrath as he was affectionately called. Amaro reminds me of him and I have given up not playing him if he is not fully fit. Now it is a case of if he is not injured then he plays.

Never Look Back

I was charged by the Portuguese FA of bringing the game into disrepute and even though they had no real proof about my little bags they found me guilty anyway. They encouraged SC Braga to 'see the light'. It was the idea that crimes were being committed, they said. I was told I could not manage another club in the Primeira Liga for six months which effectively puts me out for the rest of this season. I try not to look back but the boys let me know how things are going. My replacement at SC Braga is Marco Silva. He's doing fine at the minute but there's still plenty of time. He was out of work for a year after Sporting sacked him but he was never too unpleasant about me during his time as a tv pundit although he favours a different style of football. Rio Ave and Maritimo seem to be having a major wobble at the minute which is a little surprising.

Date: 11-03-17

Another Three Points

Lucas Joao's 3rd goal in 3 games now - finally starting to live up to his promise on the international stage.

Lamine Ba with an own goal - deflected in a free-kick by the superb Mendonca.

Complete Shut-Out

In the 90th minute Sami crossed the ball into the Angolan box but Landu caught it cleanly.

Continuity is the name of the game

Same starting 11 as the previous game - two subs at half time because the boys said they were feeling it. Geraldo provided the cross for Jorginho to knock down so that Lucas Joao could bang in his 3rd international goal. It is a shame that Geraldo seems to be stuck in the 3rd Division in Brazil - more games would seem him improve more.

Three Points Clear At The Turn

The next qualifier is the bad boy. Should be a cracker. Have a warm up friendly against The Congo first (this will be the fourth time we have faced each other!). They are 3rd in their group behind Senegal and Gabon, and are 142nd in the FIFA Rankings. Guinea-Bissau were 141st. Angola remain in 32nd place.

Stop Looking Back

Carlos Brito's job at Rio Ave is under serious threat, as is Rui Jorge's at Maritimo. Joao Vasco's time at Sporting is now coming under scrutiny.

Date: 08-04-17

Familiarity Breeds Contempt

For the fourth time these two teams met with a now familiar scoreline.

This Is What Happens When You Change Things

The squad was the same but the fitness of two at the back was really not good enough - perfect time to rest them, ok? Fernando Browne replaced the captain, Amaro and Nsimba Correia replaced Luis Pedro Cavanda who had not recovered from playing for Fiorentina a few days earlier. Both are good subs usually and Browne played for me at SC Braga alongside Zuela in central defence. Shoe-in.

Get back quicker from the corner next time, please.

It was a case of head the ball and nearly score and then realise they might break, so just trip them up.

Lucas Joao never got his chance to score for a fourth consecutive game though.

I think the players got the referee's message loud and clear

One foul, one card. Sorted. Now let's play, ok?

Over my shoulder

Sporting have replaced Joao Vasco with Luis Amorim who strangely leaves his job at Secunda Liga's Arouca just like his predecessor to take up the post. Rio Ave have just sacked Carlos Brito and are currently looking for a new manager. Too soon for me, need to focus anyway. Plus, I haven't had a call from The General!

Date: 22-04-17

Here we go

Nothing too surprising about the starting eleven - just disappointing. The two stalwarts from defence still nowhere near fit - officially 'tired'. Always good to know who you can rely on when the big games come calling.

Date: 22-04-17

Ghana needed the victory more

And from the first minute they were all over Angola. It was tough. It was relentless. 11 shots, 8 on target, 6 corners. Smothered.

Sometimes though you need a little grit - you need your experienced guys to step up.

Or maybe a little luck.

Or maybe just hanging on, letting the other team know you won't be beaten.

I don't know. I stopped trying to work it out a long time ago. Now I just see what happens.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast