Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Women's Football

vCash
    in all seriousness the U.S. is not without weakness...just want to hear a prediction or two

All I know is that Megan Rapinoe is the most underrated player on the planet (man or woman) ...hopefully her 2 goals tonight will help change that soon

vCash
    ^^^Thats a better post ^^^

I know Ausssies were beat by the US but Id still like to see them progress and get through the groups.

vCash
    Are any of these games on the English channels? I saw one on bbc the other day but they don't seem to be showing them all.

vCash
    BBC3 are showing a few select games

ebfatz is offline Social Media Bod
    Former Holy Trinity Member
    Stories Mod

vCash
    And every match is online or red button

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust_In_Klinsmann View Post
    in all seriousness the U.S. is not without weakness...just want to hear a prediction or two

All I know is that Megan Rapinoe is the most underrated player on the planet (man or woman) ...hopefully her 2 goals tonight will help change that soon
    Pinoe is fantastic and I think finally she'll be recognised for it, but honestly I think the US is only maybe my #3 choice, behind Germany and France. And there's still Brazil and Nadeshiko who'll want to have a say in things, and maybe go on a bit of a limb and say Norway might go places. And of course Canada.

But the US is not winning here.

Stories Mod

vCash
    Holy Moly!!

French left back Laure Boulleau.

Hotness!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapinoe View Post
    Spain - Costa Rica 2:1 (but hoping for a Ticas upset)
    Brazil - S Korea 4:0
    Colombia - Mexico 0:2
    France - England ...jeeeez. 2:2
    Well, I only got one right result-wise today. I didn't get to see any of them today because work was too long, but I'll watch the highlights in a bit.

Group E
    Spain - Costa Rica 1:1 - glad Las Ticas could pull a point out, CONCACAF represent!!
    Brazil - S Korea 2:0

BRA 1 1 0 0 2 0 3
    ESP 1 0 1 0 1 1 1
    CRC 1 0 1 0 1 1 1
    ROK 1 0 0 1 0 0 0

Group F
    France - England 1:0 - so torn, being partial to both when they're not playing each other...
    Colombia - Mexico 1:1 - surprised at the result, no idea what happened until I read a report, did Colombia get lucky or improve this much?

FRA 1 1 0 0 1 0 3
    COL 1 0 1 0 1 1 1
    MEX 1 0 1 0 1 1 1
    ENG 1 0 0 1 0 1 0

Next matches are Thursday, and should be some interesting games... China-Holland (tipping China 2:1, but crossing fingers for Holland), Canada-NZ (Canada 3:1), Germany-Norway (Germany 3:1), Ivory Coast-Thailand (hmmm... any tip I make is just a guess, honestly, so... Thailand 2:1)

vCash
    OKay, watching highlights now... yeah, FRA-ENG, yeesh, England should totally have got a penalty kick there. Nice strike on the French goal though. Costa Rica? Jeeez, both keepers made some nice saves! And seems, yeah, Colombia got really lucky, tying it up on 82' and then a Mexican goal later being ruled offside (I guess? I didn't see any foul there by a Mexican, and it sure didn't look offside to me).

So... something I had a feeling from the start, we're certain to see a lot more questionable reffing than we ever do at men's tournaments. Playing skill has improved in the women's game much faster than reffing skill.

vCash
    Today's results...

Group A

Canada - NZ 0:0 ... Oh. My. Fuck.

Holy crap was that an amazing match! Jeez, that was so exciting my heart is still thrashing away. Canada - NZ 0:0, and it could easily have been 2:1 NZ, or 2:2 or even 3:2 NZ or 3:3... wow. Both Erins, McLeod and Nayler making huge saves, several crossbars at both ends, several near-misses at both ends, if Amber Hearn converts the penalty and makes it 1:0 NZ could've been totally different result but just... damn. Seriously one of the most exciting matches, women or men, that I've seen in a long time. Obviously disappointed Canada didn't win, but glad NZ didn't lose, they totally deserve that point. Also have to compliment the referee, she did a very good job, I thought.

And, I'll admit, by the time we got to stoppage time in the second half I was actively rooting for a draw. NZ's on one point now, but after this performance they've given me all sorts of confidence that they can beat the PRC, which would mean, Canada beating Holland, CAN - NZ - NED 1-2-3 and the PRC go home, this would be lovely.

China - Holland 1:0
    This one also encourages me, in that China needed until 90+1 to beat the Dutch. I am thinking the PRC have fallen even further from their high peak some years back.

Group A standings:

CAN 2 1 1 0 1:0 4
    CHN 2 1 0 1 1:1 3
    NED 2 1 0 1 1:1 3
    NZL 2 0 1 1 0:1 1

Group B results:

Germany - Norway 1:1
    Only saw the highlights of this but by the numbers Germany looks to have outplayed Norway, but Norway's tying goal off a free kick was superb.

Ivory Coast - Thailand 2:3
    Has to be crushing for the Ivorians as two of Thailand's 3 goals were scored from offside, one just barely but the other blatantly so.

Group B standings

GER 2 1 1 0 11:1 4
    NOR 2 1 1 0 5:1 4
    THA 2 1 0 1 3:6 3
    CIV 2 0 0 2 2:13 0

This will probably be how the final table is arranged, too, Thailand will lose to Germany and Ivory Coast will lose to Norway, but Thailand may be in a good spot to be one of the four 3rd place teams that will advance to the round of 16.

I was 50/50 with today's tips, got result and goal differentials right for the Chinese and Thai wins, but was way off with the Canada and Germany matches. But, tips anyways for tomorrow... Switzerland - Ecuador 3:0, Japan - Cameroon 2:1, Australia - Nigeria 2:1, USA - Sweden 2:0.

vCash
    Good win for the Matildas, Rapinoe?

Heard of the girls took a nasty elbow to the face?

vCash
    Fods - didn't see the match but yeah heard about the elbow that it was pretty brutal, Cecilia Nku got Samantha Kerr, I think. Both Aussie goals were fine efforts, first one was quite a nice strike.

Results, Group D:

Australia - Nigeria 2:0 - see above
    USA - Sweden - tense match. Only saw the last half hour because of work, but could (should?) have been 1:0 for Sweden.

USA 2 1 1 0 3:1 4
    AUS 2 1 0 1 3:3 3
    SWE 2 0 2 0 3:3 2
    NIG 2 0 1 1 3:5 1

So this group is proving as interesting as it looked to be, USA is through to the next round but position isn't set yet - if the Matildas beat Sweden (which I hope!) and Nigeria can steal a point from the US then Australia would finish 1st... and both of those results are within the realm of possibility.

Results Group C:

Switzerland - Ecuador 10:1 - jeez, Ecuador, 16 conceded in 2 matches now...
    Japan - Cameroon 2:1 - What a great match from Cameroon. Japan went up 2:0 on 17' but Cameroon never gave up, kept pushing, and had many good opportunities and just-wides especially in the second half. Out of everyone, they have impressed me most so far.

JPN 2 2 0 0 3:1 6
    SUI 2 1 0 1 10:2 3
    CMR 2 1 0 1 7:2 3
    ECU 2 0 0 0 1:16 0

So Ecuador are done, Japan has secured 1st place, and next Tuesday the Switzerland-Cameroon match is definitely not one to miss, should be a fantastic game.

Yesterday's tips - I got one bang on with Japan - Cameroon! And got the result right for SUI-ECU (would not have guessed the scoreline though!) and AUS-NGA, so best day yet.

So, tips for today... I'm too late because Friday night = partying till sunrise... I'm going to say France will win 2:1 (it's 1:0 Colombia on 31' right now), Brazil - Spain 3:1, S Korea - Costa Rica 0:1, England - Mexico 2:1.

vCash
    Playing skill has improved in the women's game much faster than reffing skill.
    agreed...i remember when women used to play at a much slower pace

the ref had me shaking my head during the Cameroon/Japan game...you can't really tell how blatant this was from this pic but the stiff arm I saw is usually reserved for NFL running backs haha

vCash
    Today's results - Group E

Brazil - Spain 1:0 - Spain kept it tight, and Ainhoa Tirapu made a few nice saves to keep the scoreline low (seems the Spanish have a Basque goalie even on the women's team). With the win, though, Brazil clinches first place in the group - and will be up for a tough round of 16 match against whomever finishes 2nd in Group D. (I got the result right, but not the score - Spain kept it tighter than I'd expected)

S Korea - Costa Rica 2:2 - Costa Rica took an early lead, Korea tied it on a penalty before taking a 2:1 lead. There was another foul in the Costa Rican box, just inside the line, that was awarded as a free kick, but by rights should have been a penalty. Not that I'm complaining, Costa Rica managed to tie it late to give Las Ticas 2 draws out of 2 matches. (got this wrong)

BRA 2 2 0 0 3:0 6
    CRC 2 0 2 0 3:3 2
    ESP 2 0 1 1 1:2 1
    ROK 2 0 1 1 2:4 1

So as it stands, Brazil is on to the elimination stage, and all three of the others still have a chance to finish second. I don't see Costa Rica beating Brazil, and I think Spain will beat South Korea, so gonna predict Spain second, Costa Rica third. Gonna tip BRA-CRC 2:0, ESP-ROK 1:0

Group F

France - Colombia 0:2 - What the fuck. What the hell. I watched this match and I *still* don't believe this was the result. Nothing came together for France, though they tried. This loss also blows the group pretty wide open.

England - Mexico 2:1 - Good win for England, had a 2:0 lead going, which proved to be enough - Karen Carney scored a nice header to make it 2:0.

COL 2 1 1 0 3:1 4
    ENG 2 1 0 1 2:2 3
    FRA 2 1 0 1 1:2 3
    MEX 2 0 1 1 2:3 1

So this is all still wide open. I'm pretty sure France will bounce back and defeat Mexico, but England will definitely have to bring their A game into their match against Colombia, since they've shown they're capable of beating the #3 ranked team in the world. So going to predict FRA-MEX 3:0 and ENG-COL 2:1... this would put England and France in the top two spots, with Colombia having a very solid third place that will probably be enough to get them one of the four 3rd place spots that qualify for the next round.

But what a brilliant day. It's super cliché but once again it is proven that anything can happen in football!

vCash
    Sat up and watched USA Vs Sweden as my daughter is teething so why not.

Rapinoe comfortably the most talented player on the pitch. Did think she was wasted out left when A. USA were struggling wide right (4 different players had a go) and B. The Swedish RB had gotten to grips with her. Sweden started playing the perfect system. Keep the ball, pressure high up the pitch, push USA back into their half. But once a couple of long balls into the corners got chased down be Leroux and Press they panicked and basically done absolutely nothing for the next 50 minutes bar one effort. They retreated far too deep but somehow got away with it. I thought the USA's decision to take Leroux off was terrible, the Swedish defence were terrified of her, they only decided to start playing again once she went off. Her and Wamback would have been an ideal threat. But the defence seemed more assured knowing where Wamback would be all the time where as Leroux was dragging them all over the place.

Johnston at the back looked World Class for the first hour but was shaky towards the end. Without Jakobsson Sweden would offer nothing in the final 3rd, great player. They nearly played with 10 players the whole game, Schelin was very very poor. Her goalscoring record is incredible but she was totally anonymous.

Finally saw a goal in the comp when England scored against Mexico but had managed to watch nearly 4.5 hours of this comp without seeing a goal, even if there has been a 10-0 and a 10-1!

Rapinoe alone be worth watching the USA again, thinks on a different level to the rest of those on the pitch. Brilliant crosser of the ball too

vCash
    Yes, Pinoe is amazing indeed!

My commentaries on today's matches later, am not at home, but for now will say I am absolutely livid at the reffing in the NZ match. No way that was a penalty unless tit-ball is a rule I didn't know about. That should've been a Ferns win. This is why instant replay needs to be a thing.

vCash
    Sorry for missing yesterday's post and tips for today, so here it is for yesterday and today.

Yesterday - Group A

Holland - Canada 1:1 - Dutch got a late equaliser. What can I say... Canada tops the group, but two draws and a 1:0 win with a penalty doesn't do much to instil confidence going forward, especially as the next opponent could possibly be Sweden.

PRC - NZ 2:2 - Such rubbish. Utter bollocks. I am *still* livid about this match, this should have been 2:1 NZ, and if ever a case were to be made for instant replay, this is certainly a shining (glaring?) example. The "handball" called against Ria Percival was nothing of the sort, it hit her square in the chest, and so the ChiComs equalised on the resulting penalty kick... should never have happened. The one good thing the ref did was eject the Chinese coach, I've never seen a coach loom over someone trying to take a throw-in like that creep did. So, so, so pissed off.

CAN 3 1 2 0 2:1 5
    CHN 3 1 1 1 3:3 4
    NED 3 1 1 1 2:2 4
    NZL 3 0 2 1 2:3 2

(My tip was 1. Canada 2. China 3. NZ 4. Holland. Yeah. Hardly even close.)

So. Canada and China advance for sure, Holland has a good chance as 4 of the 6 third-placed teams will advance to the round of 16. Canada will play one of Sweden, Switzerland or the 3rd place team in group E (either Spain or Costa Rica - probably Costa Rica, as I can't see Las Ticas beating Brazil). China, second in this group, will play Cameroon. I will be all-out rooting for the Africans.

Yesterday - Group B

Germany - Thailand 4:0
    Norway - Ivory Coast 3:1

No real commentary needed, two expectedly easy wins for the two clear favourites in the group. The Germans did prove their prowess in the air (Frauen-Luftwaffe? Luftfrauen?), though.

GER 3 2 1 0 15:1 7
    NOR 3 2 1 0 8:2 7
    THA 3 1 0 2 3:10 3
    CIV 3 0 0 3 3:16 0

(My tip: B - 1. Germany 2. Norway 3. Ivory Coast 4. Thailand - and honestly, I should've been right, as all three of Thailand's goals in their win v Ivory Coast were scored from offside...)

So Germany and Norway comfortably advance, Thailand is almost sure not to advance with a -7 goal differential. Germany's next opponent will be one of Holland, Switzerland or Sweden, and Norway will next play the 2nd place finisher of group F (likely France or England). In the very unlikely event Thailand advance, they'll play the US or Japan.

Today - Group C

Japan - Ecuador 1:0 - didn't see this, but surprisingly low-scoring result, given Ecuador's previous performances.
    Cameroon - Switzerland 2:1 - I didn't see this match, either, but I'm sure it was as good a match as I'd've expected based on how well both played in their first two matches.

JPN 3 3 0 0 4:1 9
    CMR 3 2 0 1 9:3 6
    SUI 3 1 0 2 11:4 3
    ECU 3 0 0 3 1:17 0

(My tip: C - 1. Japan 2. Switzerland 3. Ecuador 4. Cameroon - again, far off the mark. I way overestimated Ecuador.)

So. Then, Japan first, will advance to play Holland, Thailand or the 3rd placed team in group F (Colombia, I think). Cameroon will play the 2nd placed team in group F, so probably England or France (though still possibly Colombia). Switzerland has a decent chance to advance, and if they do, they'll play Canada.

Today - Group D

USA - Nigeria 1:0 - Wambach scored the only goal in the 45th minute, was hoping Nigeria could pull at least a draw out of this match. Alas.

Australia - Sweden 1:1 - This was a pretty good game in the first half, unfortunately had to go out for an hour and missed the 2nd half entirely. But all the goals came in the 1st half so I didn't miss any goals, but. Could've gone either way, based on what I'd seen, so this was a fair (even if suboptimal, from my biased pro-Commonwealth point of view) result.

USA 3 2 1 0 4:1 6
    AUS 3 1 1 1 4:4 4
    SWE 3 0 3 0 4:4 3
    NIG 3 0 1 2 3:6 1

(My tip - D - 1. USA 2. Australia 3. Sweden 4. Nigeria. Bang on!)

USA advances and will play one of Thailand, Spain or Costa Rica, or the 3rd placed team in group F (which really at this point could be any one of England, France or Colombia). Australia also advance, and have the misfortune of having to play Brazil next; here's rooting for the upset! And Sweden in third, if they advance, will play Canada.

Wow. Well. Lots of exciting stuff so far, and lots of frustrating stuff has happened. Tomorrow should be very interesting, too!

My tips? Brazil - Costa Rica 1:0, Spain - S Korea 2:1, France - Mexico 2:0, England - Colombia 2:1

vCash
    Naturally a crazy day at work *had* to be today, and I missed all the matches. But.

Group E

Costa Rica - Brazil 0:1 - no real surprise here, and it's exactly what I tipped!
    S Korea - Spain 2:1 -well, I got the scoreline right, but this caught me off guard - did not see Spain losing this match! But Colombia beat France, too, so...

BRA 3 3 0 0 4:0 9
    ROK 3 1 1 0 4:5 4
    CRC 3 0 2 1 3:4 2
    ESP 3 0 1 2 2:4 1

(My tip was E - 1. Brazil 2. Spain 3. Costa Rica 4. S Korea - I got first and third right, anyways!)

Group F

France - Mexico 5:0 - I was right that the French would rebound, and I'd predicted this win, but not by this goal-explosion. Hopefully this doesn't use up all their quota!

England - Colombia 2:1 - Very happy with this result (not just because I called it!)

FRA 3 2 0 1 6:2 6
    ENG 3 2 0 1 5:3 6
    COL 3 1 1 1 4:3 4
    MEX 3 0 1 2 2:8 1

(My tip - F - 1. France 2. England 3. Mexico 4. Colombia. Colombia surprised me (and probably everyone else!). And honestly the Mexicans performed less well than I had anticipated, but I still think they're a bit better than what they showed here.

So, the round of 16 is all set up!

Germany - Sweden (tip: 2:1)
    China - Cameroon (tip: 1:2)
    Brazil - Australia (tip: 0:1)
    France - S Korea (tip: 3:0)
    Canada - Switzerland (tip: 1:0)
    Norway - England (tip: 1:2)
    USA - Colombia (tip: 3:1)
    Japan - Holland (tip: 1:0)

Some fantastic pairings right off the bat. Germany - Sweden, Brazil - Australia and Norway - England should all be fantastic matches that could go either way. But I think the Matildas will push hard and surprise; NOR-ENG I think could go either way, maybe a bit of advantage to Norway, but still hoping for the Lionesses. China - Cameroon will also be an intriguing match and, based on the performances displayed so far by both, I think Cameroon will win. France should win fairly easily against South Korea. Japan will do its usual good job of containing an opponent and not doing anything more or less than what needs to be done for the win. The US shouldn't have much trouble with Colombia, either.

Canada... jeez. Honestly, IMO they've been pretty rubbish so far. Two draws and a barely-happened win does not encourage. Switzerland, on the other hand, have been impressive, and I think much like the Dutch they will make things difficult for Canada - much more difficult than it would need to be, unless the Canadians start playing like they can.

vCash
    Aussies stun Brazil 1-0 to advance to advance to quarter finals.. WOW. Did not see that happening!

China through after beating Cameroon and France currently winning 3-0 against S.Korea.

German womens team now have to be the favourites, They were efficient and ruthless against sweden. Very impressive.

vCash
    Aussie Aussie Aussie

I fancy the Aussie underdogs to go all the way!

Stories Mod

vCash
    Rapinoe called the Aussie win as well!

vCash
    God what a weekend! I did manage to see GER-SWE and the first 10 minutes of PRC-CMR, but missed yesterday's games because weekends are for parties . Unfortunately I'll likely miss the England-Norway today because of work, but hopefully I'll be home in time to catch at least part of USA-Colombia.

Germany are frighteningly good, but at the same time Sweden sucked, they've been very underwhelming. So I think France have a chance to win v Germany, but it won't be easy, that'll be a good match.

But I have to say it was a nice thing to see the Matildas beat Brazil! And honestly... their next match is the winner of Japan - Holland. Australia could reach the semis!

vCash
    Well as expected I missed the Norway-England match and the first half of USA-Colombia, but jeez, what a sweet surprise to get home to, to see England beat Norway 2:1! That makes four of the seven matches played in the round of 16 that I called the score bang on! That makes me happy...

USA predictably beat Colombia, though it took the help of the Colombian goalie being sent off, and a converted penalty... aside from the penalty Abby Wambach failed to convert.

So happy! The only way I'd be happier with how things are is if NZ hadn't been cheated out of a Ro16 spot... but even as it is, fair showing for the Commonwealth already, 3 of the 4 are in the Quarterfinals, and at least one will reach the semis! Too bad they're all on the same side of the table...

vCash
    I fucking hate penalties.

France totally dominated the first half, was noticeably better than Germany in the rest of the match... and yet they're out because of stupid penalties (and that oh-so-close miss in the 117th minute)... but. Argh. I've had some time to calm down so I'm okay. Disappointed France lost.

Happy the US beat the Chinese, Germany-USA should be a pretty interesting match, too.

Tips for tomorrow - Aus-Japan 1:0, England-Canada 2:1

Now off to party.

vCash
    Disappointed France lost.
    same here...they deserved to win...best match of the tournament so far

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast