Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Women's Football

vCash
    WCL quarter-finals start tomorrow! Montpellier-Chelsea, and Man City-Linkoping.

vCash
    Well, Chelsea won 2:0 away and City won 2:0 at home, neither of these particularly surprising results. Looking forward to Lyon-Barca tomorrow.

And some happy news from Africa for a change:

http://jwsports1.com/fifa-summit-fif...ague-proposed/ The title is a bit misleading - it's not actually talking about the overall proposal for the FIFA Women's Club World Cup, but it mentions the proposal for how clubs qualify, which then leads into a summary survey of a number of very encouraging developments in African women's football, including the establishment of national-level premier league in Kenya, and creating lower-division national competitions in other countries.

http://jwsports1.com/nigeria-la-liga-partners-nwfl/ This is also pretty cool - La Liga made a partnership deal to sponsor/support the Nigerian Women's League.

It's really good to see that the strides being made in women's football in Europe are being paralleled in Africa, too!

vCash
    And one more - All matches in the 2017/18 Tanzania Women's Premier League season to be televised live !!! Awesome! Now if only Europe would follow suit...

vCash
    Saw last night that Man Utd are finally getting round to setting up a Women's team.

vCash
    Dammit, there goes paradise, it was so nice not having to see them... all we need now is bloody Real Madrid getting into it...

More seriously, about time. Good. Means more money and more exposure for the women's game!

vCash
    Well, not unexpectedly, Wolfsburg beat Slavia 5:0... didn't watch it so nothing really to say except unsurprising.

I did watch Lyon-Barcelona, though... have to say, Lyon were pretty clearly the better side, but they got lucky to win. They went up 1:0 just before the half, Barca equalised on 72', then ten minutes later they went up 2:1 on a rather rubbish goal... Hegerberg was facing away from the goal, she blindly heeled the ball, ball bounces towards the post, but Panos the keeper was too late to get there and the ball bounced in off the post... lucky goal for Lyon. Van de Sanden got booked for a tackle from behind at full steam... should've been a red. So Barca head home down a goal... but with the one away goal. Hopefully they can manage a 1:0 win at home on the 28th...

vCash
    Heading to France next week for the knockout rounds of World Cup 2019

Tournaments Won: 10

vCash

ebfatz is offline Social Media Bod
    Former Holy Trinity Member
    Stories Mod
    Tournaments Won: 1

vCash
    I've enjoyed what I've seen of the competition so far.

vCash
    There's been some good games but also some one sided attack v defence ones which aren't the best spectacle. It should only get better in the knockouts when the best teams start facing each other though.

Looks like there are 4 or 5 teams who could realistically win it (including England) but USA are the best i've seen so far.

vCash
    England v USA tonight!

Not been many people commenting about the World Cup? I've missed a few games but slowly got into it. Not sure if the Lionesses have much chance against USA, who I believe are power houses at international level? Still, I've enjoyed watching them. Bronze in particular has been superb and White has grown on me too as the tournament progressed.

vCash
    I don't think there's much between USA and England anymore so it should be a close game.

England have looked good going forward but need to cut out the defensive lapses.

Tournaments Won: 4

vCash
    Lucy Bronze shocker for 1st goal

I think England GK could have done better for 2nd goal as well

2 lovely cross from US though and England's goal taken well

All out for England 2nd half now!

vCash
    Classic England, so near yet so far with the ruled out goal and missed penalty. USA deserved winners, just had a bit more composure and nous.

I thought Neville got it wrong changing the team/formation. Bardsley was a miss too, one of England's most consistent performers although i'm not blaming the GK for the goals.

Just something about England (male and female) in the big games where they don't quite do themselves justice.

vCash
    I thought both full-backs were generally poor last night. Stokes couldn't cope with Heath on the right wing who I was impressed with to be fair. But considering the plaudits that Bronze had been getting, she really let herself down by completely switching off and failing to even jump for that cross for the first goal. In fact, I thought Bronze seemed a bit sluggish all night.

Feel so sorry for Ellen White, she's had a superb tournament and was so unlucky with the offside call for her second goal. I like/d VAR but the more it's used, the more I start to turn against it.

Having said that, it went our way for the penalty and to miss three out of four in the whole tournament is just poor finishing. I really don't understand why Ellen White doesn't take the penalties even though it's her job to strike that ball into the net!

vCash
    It's a shame because it felt like this group of players were in their prime and ready to win a tournament. They maybe still have a chance at the next euros but will probably have to replace several key players by the next world cup.

vCash
    Yeah, can see White is now 30 so possibly won't be involved at the next one

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234