Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 404647484950
Results 1,226 to 1,227 of 1227

Thread: Horse Racing

vCash
    12.000 at the Curragh today: a brutally disappointing figure - slightly impacted by the big GAA match - nonetheless, if you look back only to the last two Derby's before the demolition, the old Curragh had 25.000 and 18.000 in attendances in 14/15.

Disappointing even more so because as one who went I rather wouldn't have wanted any more people there today anyways: the place felt packed to the brim; massive queues for food, drink and toilets. I thought there might be 20.000 in attendance, because it felt as many as that, at least. Everything was so cramped... more than it ever did at the old Curragh, even with much more in attendance. Reading through my racing twitter feed this seems a common sentiment felt by racegoers today.

No Derby ceremony/presentation, bar a short parading, in front of the grand stand either. Instead it happened in the parade ring and as a consequence nearly everyone missed it. I loved it when they did that part in front of the big crowd in the grand stand.

Thankfully the weather was kind. Always helps. The racing was good. Some tight finishes. Siskin looks a superb prospect. The Derby, though, was a subdued experience. Felt like nobody backed the winner. And how would you? Even as one who attempts to look at it from all angles I found it difficult to make any sort of case for a horse that was merely a maiden winner. You can argue the jockeys on the other well fancied horses were sleeping and waking up too late. It's nothing new that the Curragh in these conditions can lend itself to providing front-runners an advantage, particularly if you give them 15 lengths entering the home straight! Will be interesting to see if Sovereign can back it up wherever he goes next.

Dermotron is offline Sir Mergements
    Director
    Manager
    Member of the Month
    VIP
    Captain
    Tournaments Won: 11

vCash
    Irish jumps season back tomorrow

Decent field in the Grade 2 at Gowran https://www.sportinglife.com/racing/...-chase-grade-2

Shattered Love will be tough to beat back at a trip that suits her

Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 404647484950