Thread: The County Championship

vCash
    You can sell that whole squad and still be well in the red

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dermotron View Post
    You can sell that whole squad and still be well in the red
    About 5 times over!!

vCash
    Probably worth getting even more in debt until the board fucks off and a sugar daddy comes in. Hard to find that point though

vCash
    Good end to the season, gives me hope that you can cut the wage bill dramatically and still be comfortably mid-table next year. What are your aims for the new season?

vCash
    My personal one? Avoid relegation.

In game, don't know yet as haven't got there.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

kuy

vCash
    May 2015

Time for me to sit back and take stock of what we managed to do in the final months of the season and to start to look ahead to what I can do to help us progress.

Transfers

Andre Francis turned down three other offers before deciding on a move to Afan Lido on a Bosman free. No other deals were concluded during the month but a couple of others were in progress.

Matches and Roundup

No matches obviously but a lot going on.

As soon as the last game ended, I decided to look at the stats for the season. Without having to look too far, I found what could be the key to improvements next season.
    I saw that we had scored 63 league goals in the season. This was the 5th lowest total in the division. By contrast, we had conceded 64 goals in the season. That amazingly gave us the 6th tightest defence in the division.
    It was clear that we had a decent defence and would need to keep that going next season. It was also clear what we lacked, and that was goals. Whatever business we did over the summer, we would need to reinforce the forward line and bring in at least one player who could give us a decent output of goals.

I made a decision to wait until I knew the outcome of those who's contracts were ending before completing any inbound transfers. Some players who's contracts were ending could come to be good players next season, if they signed on the dotted line. I was not holding out much hope that they would though.
    That didn't mean I wasn't looking though and I spent quite some time poring over players who might be able to improve the squad and noting down some of those names to see if they were a possible answer to improvement.

It was clear as soon as the season finished that it would be quite a task to cut costs at the club. The key figure that I picked out from the finances was the fact that the wage bill which is costing the club 18,750 a week. That is just WAY too high and very unsustainable.

The task was made a little easier on the first of the month as the board made the decision to inject some money into the club to help reduce the overall deficit.

Although it did not clear the full amount of debt, it lifted a weight from my shoulders on how I was going to get the club back into the black. That task was made a little easier with this additional money.
    Not includng the injection, the club made just 1,012 in the month. The lack of matches took it's toll on the final figure. Unfortunately, wages do not stop when the season does and so expenditure was still high, coming in at 120,849.
    This though after the injection leaves the balance at a much more respectable -213,612.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Some random foreign clubs you gave palmed players off to!

Great finish to season and every place gives a few more 's which is all the more important!

What does the board (in game) think about financial situation?

EDIT: just read the board put in s wedge - happy days! (Although still in the shit!)

vCash
    -213k is manageable. A decent run in the FA Cup with an away draw to a big team and you'd be back in black

vCash
    You'll get back to almost a million in debt in a few months if you're not able to trim that wage bill down. Hope there's still a few moving on and anyone who comes in are on far less wages than the former players!
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

vCash
    June 2015

Once again it will be a month where I hope to shape the future of the club. Whether that be players leaving, players coming in or both, remains to be seen.

Transfers

First up was a disappointment as the transfer of Dior Angus out of the club collapsed as his destination club, Forest Green, could not afford the transfer fee. A player who can play on either wing has no future with me so will look to move him on again.
    Junior English agreed to join Raith Rovers on a Bosman at the end of the month. Let's hope this one goes through.

Central midfielder Mitch McPike made no bones on his intentions and left the club promptly at the end of his contract.

Shaun Brooks came on board in the coaching team replacing Simon Redhead whose contract expired meaning we got a better coach on a lower wage.

Hungerford made a Bosman offer for forward Gary Birch before German outfit TSG Neustrelitz bid 30,000 for midfielder Alex Price. I was initially looking to keep Price but when I saw that he had lost faith in my ability, he instantly went on the transfer list. Not the kind of attitude I want in my changing room.
    As the end of the month approached the transfers went into overdrive.

Forward Richard Walker departed for Hungerford on a free, reserve left midfielder Josh Goodhand went to Basingstoke for 35,000 and Price agreed to move to Germany on 1st July. Rob Elvins then left for Littlehampton for 35,000 as well before Dennis Rofe, the coach I had brought in just 6 months before, retired. I had hoped he would have lasted a bit longer but his knowledge was invaluable for the short time he was here.

The next day Andre Francis completed his free transfer move to Afan Lido, Junior English moved on to Raith and Steve Jackson's contract expired and he left the club, closely followed by centre half Dominic Langdon. Darren Acton then completed his move to Bristol Rovers to become their player/coach and I decided to release Dior Angus instead of wait for a bid for him.
    The final outgoings of the month were another forward leaving as Gary Birch followed Walker to find his future at Hungerford and defender Stuart Pierpoint departing as well. He went off to Gloucester.

Matches and Roundup

James McPike was named Solihull player of the year but after accepting the reward his future was still up in the air.
    At the season update, I was reminded that McPike's contract expired a week from that date. He now did want to stay but wanted the same wage as he already had. The top end 675 a week. I was holding out for as long as I could to see if I could find a better, or if not cheaper alternative.
    The board also informed me that they were expecting a difficult season but expected us to stay clear of relegation.
    The club received 110,000 in TV rights for the season which helped the bank balance somewhat.
    Whilst thinking about the finances, I came up with an idea.
    Holding an friendly tournament at the home ground. Hopefully the calibre of team I could attract could bring some bums on seats in pre-season to generate some revenue. I also asked Birmingham if they would host a friendly at their place as per previous tradition. Birmingham declined my request and my initial three requested teams for the cup declined also. Maybe I set my sights a little too high by inviting three Red Bull branded clubs to The Autotech.

Finally I did have three teams willing to come and play in my tournament. and they were big names.
    Chelsea would be coming to town. OK, not them, only Chelsea (R).
    And a team from the red side of Manchester. OK, not them only FC United.
    But what's this? Chelsea again? OK, it's Camdonia Chelsea SC from St Vincent and the Grenadines but I didn't mind, my cup was now complete and I felt it very apt to call it the Make Money Cup. It may well turn out to be an ironic name now that the participants have been chosen.

Spoiler!

In terms of finances, I felt I had done a fair job of shifting out not so much deadwood but a lot of high earners. And the fact that I had got transfer fees for some of them was all the better. It may well be that some of the players should have stayed as they were potential first teamers but we will see.
    I made a conscious decision that I wanted to shift players out before I complete on any new signings in so now my focus will have to change to incomings and what players are out there. After having a brief look around, I'm not sure whether any players I bring in will be bettering the team or just building the numbers. I still have over a month before the first competitive match though so I had time for a proper search.

With the player sales, the income for the month totaled a hefty 213,399. That was almost double the expenditure for the month as that came in at 96,232. With the wage bill heavily slashed for the month (currently down to 10,000 a week from 18,750 a month ago), I need to make sure I don't go overboard when I add the new faces to the squad.
    Total bank balance is now only just in the red at -64,498.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Good work on finances

I personally like your ruthfullness on players like Price!

Waiting on bated breath for any incomings . . . . .

vCash
    Fingers crossed on a decent FA Cup run. Even against a big League One club away you could clear all the debt in one go

vCash
    Yeah, very ruthless indeed on the player who lost faith in you. Fair do's though, no need for those characters in the dressing room!

Plenty of players heading out, how many do you currently have in your squad now? Wage bill does look a lot better, just needs those bums on seats in the home games now to cover it!
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!

vCash
    Good job on cutting the wage bill there - in a way it's a shame that the board injected all that cash, would have been fun to see if you could clear it by yourself!

How big is the squad after shipping out all those players? How many players will you be looking to bring in? Are there any stand-out high earners that you're still hoping to move on?

vCash
    The squad at the end of June stands at just 22 plyers so will definately need to bring some in.

Two of those 22 are out of contract. Last season's top scorer James McPike is one of them.
    Am waiting for them to either leave of their own accord, accept the lower terms that I am offering or release them once I have replacements.

With regard to wage, 675 a week was the most I could offer. Most of the squad were on that when I took over and most of the outgoing players were on that but there are still 11 of the 22 earning that amount.
    If I can shift on a few more of them we'll be quids in!!

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Do you plan to do all the counties in the same save?

vCash
    Hoping so. Lord knows how long it'll take!

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

vCash
    22 players isn't too bad, it's manageable
    The Alphabet Game #3

vCash
    Hope you can start making some money from your home games now and get some quality in, if you can get through the first few rounds of the FA Trophy and get a few gems in you never know. Any scope for some money spinning friendlies?

vCash
    Have to see what the ones I've organised bring in first, then I'll know where I actually have to gauge the opposition to make a buck or two.

vCash
    July 2015

This could be the month that makes or breaks the next twelve. Whether we get some decent bodies in through the doors who will help the club kick on are vital. But whether I can find them is a different matter.
    In the 22 man squad as it stood, I had 2 goalkeepers, 6 defenders, 10 midfielders and 4 strikers.
    Knowing this fact it was clear that I had to reinforce the defence and maybe look at a new striker. I also only had one DMC so would look to get another on board.

Transfers

It was only three days into the month when the first signing was confirmed.

Ian Pulman - free transfer

He looked ok at best. My hope was that he would be able to have the same impact that McPike had had the previous season. He came in at a cheaper wage so here's hoping.
    Brian Quailey, the not often used 37 year old forward then unexpectedly retired. This was nothing but a good thing as it was another wage off the bill.

Jamie Grimes - free transfer

Grimes is one of a select few centre backs interested in joining at this point in the month. He looks reasonable for the level we are at. I'm hoping so anyway.

It was on the 8th of the month that we managed to secure some Gallic flair.

Jeremy Balmy - free transfer

Ok so maybe not flair but I like the look of this guy. Not sure why. He can jump, he can head it. If we need to go route 1 at any point, he's our man.

Wayne Berry - free transfer

Swiftly following Balmy was Berry. Maybe one for the future but he may get a bit of game time. He doesn't look too out of place alongside the other forwards in the squad.

Ian Barnes - free transfer

Barnes was next in as someone who could cover right back or centre back. He may not play much hopefully but will be cover.

Tim Gould then decided on the spot that he was going to retire. Again this was only a good thing as, although he may well of played, the 34 year old was taking a high wage and was one of 5 attacking midfielders so we had cover.

Roger Ashby, my assistant manager, then followed him out the door by retiring as well. He was out of contract and to be honest not very good but I kept him on just as another pair of eyes. I'm thinking I may not appoint another assistant at this point. It'll save a little money but on the flip side, I am still only 6 months into my managerial career, I need all the help I can get.

Then came possibly the biggest transfer of my window so far. I managed to convince a full international to come to the Northern Premier and sign for little Solihull. A man that had turned out for Watford, Blackpool and Qabala among others.

Al Bangura - free transfer

I was well happy with that signing. He would be key to us and I can see him being very influential in that defensive midfield position. Key to what we do and how we get on this season.

Late in the month my scout recommended a new forward and I decided to trust his hunch.

Andy Hopkins - free transfer

With Hopkins signing, it meant that I no longer had to keep fighting with James McPike over reduced terms on a contract and he was released. I felt a little sorry for James. He had done well last season, top scoring, but he obviously had an agent in his ear because he wasn't backing down on terms and unfortunately for him, he pays the price and finds himself out of work instead.

That completed the transfers for the month. I was happy with the business I had done. I had added players to positions that I needed. I wasn't going to go as far as saying I had strengthened before seeing the new players in match situations but I was happy enough.

Matches and Roundup

Again, there were no matches this month and the focus went to player acquisitions.
    I ended the month with 2 goalies, 8 defenders, 10 midfielders and 6 forwards. So we have a few more bodies in. There are still a couple of midfielders that ideally I would like to move and at least one forward but they are proving hard to get rid of despite being transfer listed since almost my first day at the club.
    I probably needed another keeper as well just in case of injury or suspension.

The current 26 man squad had a combined wage of 11,500 a week which I could cope with. There were still 8 players on that 675 wage so there was some wiggle room as well.
    Finances for the month showed an income of 38,817 with expenditure at 65,650. That meant if I was lucky when the season was up and running, I could make a break even amount each month. But it would certainly be tight.
    The balance was -123,279 so hopefully that won't get much bigger.

Next up we contest the Make Money Cup and I get to see some of the new signings for the first time in a Solihull shirt. I am more than interested to see how many turn up for the games. We have drawn Camdonia Chelsea, which is probably the better draw for us.
    As exciting as the signing of new players was, I'm just itching to see them in action now, to see if the players I have selected are decent players or whether I have signed duds.

One interesting piece of information from this month was that I turned down two job offers.
    The both came from Conference sides. One from Telford Utd and the other Oxford City. I've got to say I was tempted but I really couldn't move on. Maybe if the offer had come at the start of the month I would have taken the step up to the division above but I had signed a few and I am invested now. I want to see this out at least this season.
    Last edited by ebfatz; 06-09-15 at 10:41 PM.

27. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Bangura is a big name for this level and Hopkins looks good! Four new strikers in seems like a lot though?

29. The Following User Says Thank You to kuy For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Hopkins looks amazing!

Bangura superb and Grimes good as well - not sure on the others!

How you getting offered jobs this early?! Got that Saturn fix in place?

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    2 nice signings there ebz

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Dermotron For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Yep, Bangura and Hopkins are definitely standing out from the rest in your signings. Bangura will be a great DMC, I reckon!

What's your plan, btw? Is it to win something first before moving on to another county?
    The Alphabet Game #3

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast