Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 202627282930

Thread: The County Championship

vCash
    You sounds depressed with the situation mate!

Some gens in those signings, Piazon, Otamedni, Wilson but for me the keeper looks a cracker

Much going on the loan market?

Some good deal out

vCash
    Some very good signings in that lot. Ottamendi might not be for the long term, but even if you only get a season, he will surely cruise through this league.
    I like the look of the Scottish keeper (well I would, wouldn't I) and there are certainly plenty of internationals.

It may not be of the high standards that you set at Southampton, but this is a different sort of challenge. Good Luck
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

vCash
    Redders - At the start of the month, when I looked at the interested players, I thought I was in trouble. (I may well still be!)
    More players appeared as the month went on and things looked a little more rosy. Still lots to do though. And shipping players out may still cause problems.

The keeper stood out for me. Looked like a great prospect. May well be a few more that I can pick up on loan.

Hoping that when 1st July comes round more players pop on to that expired contract list.

vCash
    Blimey, some of those new signings don't look great but perhaps an indication of the level you're at with Watford.

Piazon definitely the pick of the lot and hopefully Bech and Wilson will strike up a good partnership. You do like an experienced centre-back

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    You do like an experienced centre-back
    I'm hoping he brings out the best in the rag tag bunch around him!

vCash
    Love the way the first thing you checked was if Hopkins was available

Duffy and Hinteregger both improvements on the current defenders you have, but no harm seeing if cheaper and better available elsewhere. A chance to sign Hopkins then, not got the money though unfortunately, hurry up season ticket money and TV revenue!

Good deal with Fulham, the player you got in return may not be much but you got some decent money, Piazon looks a cracker though, and then Callum Wilson signs, they should definitely help your goals scored column. Then another decent striker in Bech signs, with Clough and Cammy Smith already at the club that's some strike force! Is that 500k more if McLaughlin gets just 1 cap? Great stuff if so! Otamendi should easily be able to boss your defence, along with the keeper you've signed, hopefully a few more defensive recruits in July will help tighten things up further.

vCash
    July 2022

Feeling a little bit better than this time last month, there is still a lot of work to do to get this squad in decent shape for the Championship season ahead. No games in the month but hopefully a lot of transfer action.

Matches and Roundup

Watching Manchester City spend 38.5m on Timo Werner and 40.5m on Memphis Depay was particularly galling at the start of the month. That could have been me yet here I am searching through bargain bins for players that will even slightly improve the players that I have.

Funny how football works. I kind of hoped that I wouldn't be here long but in reality I knew, I was in this one for the long haul. There would be no one season hop going on here like at Southampton.

I threw out some bids to players at the start of the month. Mostly free transfers and mostly in vague hope than expectation. Some were realistic, some were very much not.

There was a boost to the bank balance first up as Rolando Aarons left the club. Being a winger, he had no future under my tenure and so I was happy to take the funds.

He was followed by an incoming. A young man I had worked with before at Stoke City. I knew what he could do. I wasn't sure whether he would nail down a first team spot because he didn't before, but I was short of bodies in central midfield and he would help out with that.

Next in was another central midfielder. A seasoned pro. A man who had represented his country on 69 occasions. He had played previously for Nantes and played very well before joining Nice on a free and playing just one match over the next three years. He would get more than that with me. The transfer fee could, and I hoped would, turn out to be a bargain.

Next in the door was another centre half. And another with a wealth of experience behind him. 58 caps for Morocco, club experience at Udinese, Roma and 8 years as first choice at Bayern Munich. He was 35 and he was probably signing his last contract but it was seen as very much a statement signing.

At this stage, I was now happy that we would be too good to go down at least but it was now a matter of how far up the table we could get and whether anyone else was available to come in to help that.

The problem was that the squad now numbered 49 players and there seemed no hope of getting anyone else off the books. Nobody seemed to be attracting any interest and this was a problem. I could not continue to mould the squad how I wanted it if I couldn't sell some bodies.

I desperately needed to bring in a decent defensive midfielder. Only Rohan Ince was any good and even he wasn't great. The other two currently in the squad were both on the transfer list, one his own choice, one mine. But I needed someone in to challenge Ince. Otherwise, I'd be relying on a young 20 year old rookie from the reserves.

Another 5 players were transfer listed in the hope of bringing some interest. All I could do was wait. And hope. Someone must want them.

Then, amazingly, one of the bids that I put in, thinking Watford had no chance. The trouble was, I had filled the position whilst he was decding whether he wanted to come or not. A former World Player of the Year runner up, a 2 time Confederations Cup winner, Premier League Winner. Had stints at Valencia, Manchester City, Bayern Munich, Chelsea and Arsenal on his CV. 156 international caps. I couldn't turn him down even though he was now 36 years old. Watford was in danger of becoming an old peoples home but I just couldn't say no.
    Especially after he declared he was looking forward to working with me.

So that was it. The 50 man squad had been reached. No one else could come in until I sold. Unless I started releasing players. That would obviously cost me more instead of making a fee but if it came to it, I wouldn't rule it out. I was still scouring for that DMC, I could probably do with another right back as well to cover or replace Magri.

I did have a defensive midfielder waiting on the Home Office to grant a work permit but I wasn't sure he would get it. I also had a left back waiting for one as well which meant someone else could go on the transfer list if he were able to come in. It was a pivotal time.

As the World Cup finished, with Spain beating Germany in the Final, a raft of international managers lost their jobs. These included Craig Shakespeare as England manager so I threw may hat into the ring for that again more in hope than expectation. There was no other Engliah manager with a better world reputation than me either employed or unemployed but there was obviously no guarantee that they wouldn't go with a foreign manager.

Days passed. The phone was not ringing. Either from managers enquiring about players or from the Football Association. The only thing I got was confirmation that both work permit applications had been turned down. This was probably not a bad thing looking at the squad size but still disappointing anyway.

The League Cup 1st Round draw was made and saw us bag a home tie against lower division opposition in Walsall before we did have a departure, but only a temporary one as a German midfielder joined non league Hereford.
    This was followed by a spanner thrown into the works as Arsenal bid for my on loan keeper John Gray. I matched the bid, offered a contract and hoped he would stay with us. It took him less than a day to decide his future lay in London.
    He was gone after a month and two days and without ever setting foot on a pitch for the club.

Transfers

IN -

Ryan Freeman - season long loan

Birama Toure - 1.4m

Medhi Benatia - Free Transfer

David Silva - Free Transfer

OUT -

Rolando Aarons - 3.2m (plus 25% future fee)

Lucas Scholl - season long loan

Lots of activity but still I don't have the squad exactly how I want it. We have a local friendly set for the first of next month and that will give me a chance to see some of these guys in action. I desperately need to shift some bodies off the wage bill before the season starts not only to trin the squad but to slim down the wage bill a little.

No games of course but we will start making some attendance money next month.

Income of just 5.53m and outgoings of 5.13m. A small 400,000 profit in the month.

This leaves the bank balance at 18.71m and a transfer fund of 13m.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Trasfer listed players set at 0 to gather more interest?

The player on lowest wage or with least time left on contract - they are probably cheapt to releaseif needs be?

Silva and Benatia are great signings but Silva on the wane big style

Wage bill massive given you got over 3m in from sale of 1 player

vCash
    As readers says, get some players on an asking price of 0 and there will be interest. And there is usually some dross that can be released for less than 10k. Look at the contracts screen and sort by end date.

Bringing in some oldies, but hopefully they will also bring quality

vCash
    Large majority of the transfer listed are already on 0. Shows how bad they are that literally no one wants them even for free.

There is probably one on the way out but its one of my *patented* 'cheeky counter swap deals' so won't bring the squad numbers down if it goes through.

There's a few youngsters in the reserves but haven't checked contract lengths yet. Will leave it until I absolutely have to.

I believe wage bill is in the ballpark of 500,000 a week for the squad but will have a definate look next time the games on.

vCash
    Not a lot to shout about in those signings other than their pedigree Old boy's home indeed!

Surprised you let the lad out on loan if you were trying to cut down the numbers.

vCash
    They are paying his wages at least!!

vCash
    Silva, Toure and Benatia should do you a good turn, shame you can't move on some others from the squad and disappointing you loss that keeper before he'd even put on the gloves for you.

vCash
    August 2022

The league campaign and the League Cup will start this month. The real business. But will I be able to do more transfer business before it kicks off.

Matches and Roundup

I had decided not to arrange any pre season friendlies. I concentrated on seeing the players on the training field and I did not want to risk any injuries in match situations.
    Everyone was fit and it was just down to me to assess the players over the first 10 days of the month to see what my first starting line up would be.

Before that though, I completed a transfer. Burton Albion came in for one of my central midfielders. Naturally I went down the player swap option and they accepted. I had myself a new keeper. I even got 500,000 with the player as well.

The Football Association finally decided on a new man for the hotseat and without a phone call or a visit to London, suffice to say it wasn't me. They decided to go for someone who wasn't even in a managerial position but a coach.
    A man that had worked for England coaching youth level football previously, he was 1st team coach at Queens Park Rangers.
    The new England Manager was Chris Ramsey.

With the acquisition of a keeper, Leicester came in for one that I already had on the books and had been placed on the transfer list at his own request. Bid accepted, thanks for your time. At 34, you were no good to me now. Certainly not based on the stats I had seen from his performance the previous season.

West Brom came in with a bid for winger Graham Burke. They bid nothing as that was what he was listed for. I was happy for him to go on a free but with a stipulation. They would need to pay me 6m if he played another match for his country of Ireland. I felt this was reasonable. He was in the squad but he wasn't a guaranteed starter so it was a bit of a risk for both of us as it potentially could be a 4m player going for nothing. It would however be 35,000 a week off the bill if he did go.
    Rochdale, Blackburn and Vancouver then followed in with free transfer bids and I countered them in the same way. In fact I asked 8m after the international game from Blackburn as they were a little richer.
    Whilst they were all considering my demands, I completed one more landmark signing. It was a forward. A forward who had just been released after seven years playing for Real Madrid. A time where he had scored plenty of goals, he had won the Champions League once and been runner up four times. Even better was that he was English so would need no time to settle in.

A free transfer but he would cost me a chunk in wages but, if the fans were anything to go by, I had done the right thing in bringing him in.

I wasn't so fussed about trophies plural. I only needed the one. And I thought it was a little premature to be talking of trophies at this stage anyway. Yes, arguably, we are now in a better position than when I took over but with three players topping 45,000 in wages in the Championship is taking a huge financial risk. If it doesn't pay off, the club could be in serious financial trouble. I am kind of hoping that a continual stream of players out the door might help with it but I need to be getting them out the door for that theory to work.

All the clubs bar Rochdale came back in for Graham Burke and thankfully he chose Blackburn's offer. I just need to pray now that he gets a cap some time soon.

Burke left us on the morning of the opening day of the season. His departure made new signing Neil McLaughlin unhappy. But as a winger, he would have had to play out of position to stay in my side and it just wasn't worth the disruption. We had already travelled to Preston before Burke's departure was completed and I took a full squad. Mainly because I wanted all the players to see how the club would now conduct itself on a matchday now that I was in charge but also because I had not settled on my starting XI.
    There were some positions where players were nailed on but others I would look at today and continue to do so as the season went on. Centre half especially considering the age of some of the players, upfront I had good options now as well.

After much deliberation, I finally settle on my first starting XI as manager of Watford Football Club.

It was a decent side. I would be interested to see how Hinteregger did at left back. And it was touch and go who got to play up front alongside Sturridge between Wilson and Uffe Bech.
    I wished them the best of luck, to enjoy the game and show me what they could do.

Despite having much of the play, we fell behind before Callum Wilson scored on debut to equalise. But we fell behind again before halftime to trail at the break.
    Lots more pressure in the second half but it looked like we would fall to defeat until Lucas Piazon popped up in second half injury time to bundle an equaliser.

Spoiler!

It was a decent if a little lucky start to the season as we scraped a point in the dying embers of the game but now we would move on to my home debut in front of a Vicarage Road crowd.
    Burnley would be the visitors. They were a steady Championship level side so this would give us a good indication on what we were going to be in for as the season progressed.

It was plainly evident after around an hour of the first game that David Silva did not have the legs that he used to and was tired early. He would be limited to substitute appearances from here on in as he could no longer last a 90 minute match when needed.
    Interestingly, some of the players that had spent the summer saying that they would wait to see how I as the new manager would change things. Now after just one game, Sam Magri, Chris David and Zach Clough had now all lost confidence in my ability.
    After one game! These guys might cause me some trouble.
    Sergio Ramos was available on a free but I would give them time to see the error of their ways before pulling the plug on them. I also wasn't sure about having a 36 year old as my attacking full back, especially when he had played most of his career as a centre back.

Ryan Freeman was given David Silva's starting berth and I sent them out, once again to enjoy the occasion.
    We dominated the first half. Six shots, five on target but couldn't grab a goal. Burnley had one shot and saw it nestle in our net. I didn't change anything because we were firmly in charge. We just needed a break.

We got it. Once again it was Lucas Piazon from midfield who got the breakthrough in the 65th minute. That opened the floodgates. We scored four more goals in a devastating 14 minute period (with three in four minutes) to run away with the game. Uffe Bech, who came on for Wilson on the hour, grabbed himself a brace, with Freeman and Toure grabbing the others.

Spoiler!

We managed to sell off a reserve player for a decent 1m just after the game. Leo Chambers was never gonna get near the first team so best to let him have a career elsewhere.

Onto League Cup action and a home tie against Walsall. Nine changes made. Only Christy Pym in goal and Sam Magri at right back kept their places. Even with all the changes though it was a routine game and it looked like it would be a routine win when we raced into a 2-0 lead with goals from Jamal Stone and Zach Clough. But Walsall hit back twice to take it in level at the break.
    When we fell 3-2 down, I did make a change as Joona Toivio was pulled off after a poor 5 rated performance and a man in form Uffe Bech was brought on up front.
    It didn't help as Walsall increased their lead and saw us dumped out of the cup at the first attempt.

Spoiler!

Two more games to come in the month and the first of them would be an away tie at Rochdale, just released from the Premier League. They were proving early that they still had a team a cut above this division as they had a 100% record from their first two games of the season and already sat top of the table. That was where they hoped they would stay all season.
    I just hoped that we would be able to contain them long enough to keep ourselves in the game to have an opportunity to snatch it.

Branislav Ivanovic was their manager and he had done a good job there despite them coming down last season. Keeping a small club like Rochdale in the upper echelons of the league is no mean feat. They were arguably a bigger club than Watford at the moment. Considering since Watford had been relegated from the Premier League in 2018, they had had a stint in League One as well, that was probably right.

The players that stepped out for the cup came back in, but not before Jamal Stone, who scored in the cup game, left for Altrincham on loan for the season. McLaughlin kept his place at left back but the rest of the side changed to what it was for the previous league game and we went in strong. In fact, we dominated the whole game. Daniel Sturridge opened his account for the club and the Watford faithful got to see the famous goal celebration for the first time. We bombarded their goal with chance after chance after chance. Watford had 16 shots on goal with 10 on target. Rochdale had just 6 shots with 4 on target. The end result was defeat for us.

Spoiler!

The final match of the month saw us back at home and very much licking our wounds after that defeat. It was unfathomable how we had lost it after being so in control of the game. In the short time between that game and this, just 48 hours, I emphasized the need to be able to take our chances and put games to bed. All four of the main strikers have now scored this season in Sturridge, Clough, Wilson and Bech. Paul Duffy, last years top scorer with 16 in 33 games can't even get in the side but we need to be more ruthless. I understand we are still getting used to playing together but we need to sort that soon.
    Some players were not going to make this one though in terms of fitness and Benatia was replaced by Duffy at centre back, Hinteregger for McLaughlin at left back, Haris Vukcic, Shaun Haslam and Johannes Nieminen for Birama Toure, Lucas Piazon and Ryan Freeman across the midfield. And Duffy got his start ahead of Sturridge up front.
    The opponents would be Huddersfield and over the years the records between the two were identical. In 11 previous meetings, both sides had won 4 and drawn 3. Watford however were unbeaten in the last three meetings, winning two stretching back to 2019.

This would be a tough game though especially with the amount of changes that I had been forced into making. It was a side that had fringe players in it but they would be playing to stay in the side so they should be motivated to do well.

Duffy justified his start by scoring his 1st of the season. That was actually the equaliser as Huddersfield opened the scoring. They took the lead again but once again we showed good fight by pegging them back through Uffe Bech.
    Just like Rochdale, we had the most of the game, we were the better side but more bad luck was to befall us as on the final attack of the game, Huddersfield fashioned themselves a chance that they were not going to miss.

Spoiler!

After that final game of the month, I managed to conclude a few more bits of business. We sold on a youngster for 250,000, Zach Clough was sold on after saying he had lost faith in my ability and with Southampton transfer listing a few players in the squad, I think we all know who came in as Clough's replacement!

Transfers

IN -

Christy Pym - player swap

Daniel Sturridge - free transfer

Andy Hopkins - 5m

OUT -

Rasmus Falk Jensen - player swap

Ruud Boffin - 800,000

Graham Burke - Free Transfer (8m if he plays for his country again)

Leo Chambers - 1m

Martin Hopper - 250,000 (plus 25% future fee)

Zach Clough - 4m (plus 25% future fee)

The squad is improved. Of that there is no doubt. Sturridge should be a stand out in this division if he gets going. It'll be the squad I have to deal with now so the lack of a DMC or RB coming in could cause me problems as Ince and/or Magri may get complacent with no competition for their place.

First home games of my tenure brought attendances of 20384, 14254 and 21409. For Vicarage Road, capacity 29877, it's not bad but could be better. But I can't blame the fans for staying away after the poor performances.

Income for August of just 2.89m (the Clough money is being paid over 24 months) and outgoings of a huge 9.83m. 2.5m of that on wages alone.
    Which means a hefty deficit of 6.94m in the month.

This leaves the bank balance at 11.66m and a transfer fund of 6.5m.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

vCash
    A strong front line further strengthened with the signing of Sturridge, and that's (potentially) a very good deal for Burke too.

A blow to go out the League Cup so early, and Burnley result aside it's been tough going in the league too despite you dominating games, 10 goals scored from 4 games isn't too shabby but 8 conceded (12 conceded including the League Cup game) is pretty awful.

Clough moved on but you've enough quality up top and he was moaning so he won't be too much of a miss, although finances don't read too well for the month.

Proper random Ramsey getting the England job too

18. The Following User Says Thank You to AMC For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Ramsey the England manager even though he has 8 for coaching?!

Nice starting XI. If that was IRL, you'd storm the league title!

Lost confidence after ONE game?! Bizarre, you didn't even lose! I'd get the lot of them on the list!

Unusually shaky start for you but sure you'll steady the ship. No doubt Hopkins will lay down a marker for the rest to follow

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Brilliant write up this mate - mammoth one

Bizarre England appointment nice guy though so fits for the FA! (not saying you are not )
    Burke PLEASE PLAY FOR IRELAND!
    BOOM Studge!
    Pretty good XI you have there!
    David Silva puffed out he aint gonna be able to play every game!
    WTF how can players judge you after 1 game did you fine/warn them or transfer list them KENTS!
    Surely gotta get Ramos in?!
    Ugh rotation puts an end to one Cup! 
    Rochdale keeper with game of his life!
    Killer of last minute goal to lose v Hudders
    Sounds like playing well but not taking chances/clinical but also being thwarted other end (defence needs to tighten up as well)
    Value for money for fans though
    HOPKINS wahahahahahahah
    Big negative in fiannaces this month but a lot of business done
    Didnt someone say if Clough moves on then you wont get the 24 month payments any more?

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Serves me right for trying to read that update while in work, I didnt even realise youd signed Hopkins, which also explains the big expenditure for the month.

Sturridge and Hopkins will see you right, just need to sort the back door.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to AMC For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Some good preseason business to at least get the squad up to a competitive standard, even if it's still not the best you've worked with. Piazon and Sturridge look like the pick of the signings, and Hopkins of course.

Bad luck on being rejected by the Three Lions, I suppose the fact that you had just changed jobs at club level meant that you were out of the picture. Chris Ramsey instead, though! Never mind, I've got a better idea. Take over the Republic of Ireland if you get chance and give Burke a cap.

Tough start to the season and you're certainly not getting the results your performances deserve. With mass changes, it may take some time to hit top form, so take heart from the performances and be patient and I'm sure you'll climb the table in no time.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to CMAdventurer For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Sturridge ! I hope that your physios are happy to do overtime

Youve got some decent names in that side, especially for the Championship. I just hope that you can pull them together into a team

Results so far could have been better, but early doors.
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    September 2022

The League Cup campaign is over before it really began so all focus is on the league this month with 4 games ahead of us.

Matches and Roundup

So we go into the month on a run of three straight defeats. Two in the league and one in the cup. It isn't causing me too much concern as yet as it's still early and we've done a lot of business and the players are still gelling together. I still have to decide on what my best XI is really. Especially now up front. With Sturridge earning such a big wage (60,000 a week), I felt I had to play him to appease the pay masters who allowed me to sign him but who would play alongside him? Uffe Bech looked like he was a top striker and had scored over 100 goals in the past 6 seasons. He'd already scored 3 since joining. Callum Wilson similarly had scored just shy of 50 in the last two seasons and looked sharp when called upon so far. And then there was Andy Hopkins. Goals wherever he has gone. Even getting a good few last year when he was not a given as first choice.
    It was going to be a tough call to keep them all happy but it was a challenge I had created myself so I had to manage it.

After an international break, our first game of the month was against Bournemouth at home. It was a game I felt we should be able to get something from and I chose a team that had attacking intent throughout it.

One the morning of the game, I decided that Bech would get the nod to play up front but both Hopkins and Wilson would be on the bench, waiting in the wings if needed.

From the moment Daniel Sturridge slotted home and once again showed the Watford faithful his arm wiggle on 16 minutes, we were in control, Johannes Nieminen scored his first goal for the club on the half hour before grabbing his second three minutes into the second half. Not to be outdone, Sturridge grabbed his second before the end of the game to round off a very strong win.
    Bournemouth grabbed themselves a consolation goal in second half stoppage time but it was just that. A consolation.
    Spoiler!

A great way to start the month and just what I needed to see exactly what the team could do. But seasons are not built on one game and we needed to see if we could build on it.

We would find ourselves away from home at Bramall Lane, home of Sheffield United. They had made an even slower start to the season than us and they found themselves rock bottom of the division having player six and lost them all. I was hoping we would not become the first team to allow them to take points in the season but as always with any of my teams, I could never be sure what would happen with us playing away.

Everyone made it back to full fitness in the 4 days between games so the starting line up stayed the same.
    After 14 minutes, Bech went threw and was pulled down in the box. Now I had never had a conversation with the players about designated penalty takers but even I was surprised with who came out of a discussion with the ball.
    I needn't have worried as a text book penalty was tucked away by none other than Nicolas Otamendi.

United had a goal disallowed just before half time so we were lucky to get the break with the lead. They had another disallowed 8 minutes from time and they looked like they were going to leave the game not only angry but empty handed but we were unable to hold on and with less tahn 60 seconds left on the clock, we finally caved and they grabbed an equaliser.

Spoiler!

Although I was a little disappointed with the end result, I couldn't complain about the application. Everyone had played reasonably well but just couldn't complete the job. But there would be just three days until the next game and I figured that not everyone would make it bak to full fitness before the game so it gave me opportunity for some changes. I did complete a loan transfer before the next game as well. Returning once again to Southampton, I knew of a young guy I had signed who had skill and was improving at a vast rate. Some people even said that he reminded them of what John Terry looked like at the same age (Terry regen).
    He would offer some competition and maybe step in if the older legs of Otamendi or Benatia were struggling.
    Benatia wouldn't have that problem at the moment as we was being kept out of the side by Shane Duffy so there were definately options now.

Reading would be the visitors to Vicarage Road. They were a steady second tier side, knew what they doing in the division and could more than hold their own.
    It could be a potential banana skin for Watford but I was confident that with the home fans behind us that we should be able to win.

Lucas Piazon came back in for Haris Vukcic and Benatia for Duffy were the changes.
    The new loanee didn't even make the squad at this stage.

The veteran centre half took celebrated his recall with a goal after just 7 minutes and Birama Toure added a second on 28 minutes. Reading pulled one goal back almost instantly. Sturridge got himself a goal in the second half as did Nieminen to see us hit four for the second game in a row. It could have been even better if Otamendi had not missed a penalty.

Spoiler!

I was really happy with that result against Reading. It confirmed to me what I have noticed with previous clubs that I've been with along the way, my teams are always good at home. The attacking intent is seriously strong and with people coming apprehensive when they play away, we take advantage.
    The trouble is, I play exactly the same way away from home as well when maybe we should be more conservative. That means we leave gaps for teams to exploit us.

The final match of the month took us away and to Nottingham to take on Forest. It also saw us playing on Friday night in front of TV cameras and a worldwide audience.
    I was happy to see that we were now comfortably the divisions top scorers having scored 19 so far, 13 the nearest contender. I was not so happy to see our goals conceded column though. 12 goals conceded, only six cubs in the whole division had let in more.

We went in unchanged and I would not be changing my tactics either. I love my teams to attack and they would continue to do so.

It took us just 5 minutes to make our mark. Uffe Bech opening the scoring. Just before half time though, Chris Gunter equalised for Forest.
    It looked like it was going to peter out to a draw in the second half until 5 minutes from time we were awarded a penalty. After Otamendi's previous miss, he had been replaced as taker and the new man at the top of the list stuck it away confidently, that being Daniel Sturridge's 5th of the season.
    Forest heads dropped and we manage to nab another before the end. Bech grabbing his second for a great away win.

Spoiler!

That was it in terms of matches played in the month but there were still enough days left to sell of a Pananamanian forward who was not going to play under me.

Transfers

IN -

Eric Morris - season long loan

OUT -

Jorman Aguilar - 1m

An unbeaten month so I can't really complain but I am still concerned by the number of things, most notably the amount of goals conceded. We have yet to keep a clean sheet since I took over so I will need to tighten up at the back.

The two home games in the month brought attendances of 21608 and 20487. So we are still around 8000 short of capacity crowds but I knew it would take time to draw the fans back after the dismal years that had preceded.

Income for August of just 1.34m and outgoings of a huge 2.74m. A 1.4m loss for the month. We couldn't keep that up. We still have some money for Zach Clough that will trickle in and the Aguilar money will come over 2 years as well.
    I wasn't overly worried at this stage as we had a decent surplus in the account.

This leaves the bank balance at 10.36m and a transfer fund of 5.25m.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Morris looks amazing

Disappointed that Hopkins didn't play at all but can't argue with the partnership that Sturridge and Bech appear to be building!

vCash
    Fine month in league

You DESTROYED reading - about 25 shots or something!

Eric Morris

That cash is gonna dwindle awa soon!

vCash
    When I signed him for Southampton, he was very raw, looked like he might turn into something but wasn't sure.

Amazing what six months playing in the reserves somewhere with Top Facilities will do for a player. After seeing him I had to look up who he was (or who he used to be anyway!)

vCash
    An unbeaten month, a class defender signed on loan and money for a player who you weren't going to feature for you, there's been worse months for sure

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 202627282930