Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: Game of Thrones (WARNING: SPOILERS!)

Tournaments Won: 11

vCash
    Dany doing what Targaryens do

vCash
    What a fucking mess....

Dannys "heel turn"...was played out horribly....

she locked her 2 dragons up for killing ONE farmers girl....
    she took her whole army and peoples up north to fight a war to protect the "living" people....and then she burns a whole city (that had surrendered!)!!!....including all the kids!!!

excuse being she lost a dragon...jorah and mesandie over 2 episodes ...and then lost the plot!!! -
    I have no problem with this being the outcome....but danny's turn should have been a bit more gradual...
    a lot more "evil" danny added in....

slapping sansa across the face...in their meetings...etc...
    slipping into ...mad danny a few times in season 6/7 etc...
    ( i know in most seasons she burnt people...crucified slave masters etc...but they were always for "good" reasons!)....
    a few unreasonable moments would have helped her "turn"

she has basically turned into the most evil villian in the show overnight.....genocide FFS!

and cersies ending....what a kop out...very poor!

i guess thats what you get when you shoehorn into 6 episodes...

disappointed really !

(thats not to say the visuals were not great ...they were fantastic)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to London35 For This Useful Post:

Tournaments Won: 8

vCash
    I have mixed feelings over the episode too.

The shock factor was there in terms of Daenarys choosing to burn the city but the way that Tyrion banged on about it, I just knew that it was likely that Danaerys would ignore it.

She well and truly has lost the plot indeed! To kill innocents and wipe out the whole city, not sure what she plans to take from there.

Glad Arya and Jon seem to have gotten out of it alive. I think Arya will be set to try and kill Daenarys now, tbh.

I guess Cersei did die in the hands of her brother after all. I think we all would have expected a different death to that but seems poignant somehow to die together.

Euron

Varys Saw it coming after last week.

Clegane bowl... Guess Sandor was never meant to get out of that one alive.

Craig Forrest is offline Manager
    Programmer
    Forum Enforcer
    Holy Trinity Member
    Tournaments Won: 2

vCash
    Mixed feelings here too..... I was entertained, but I also feel cheated.... too much, too soon. Can't wait to read the books and see how it really plays out over the course of a couple more novels.

vCash
    Varys had the girl in "the kitchen"..."shes still not eating" she said..

Varys was trying to poison her....it was subtle....too subtle...and more should have been made of that for his execution...

im thinking...

a) danny wins..
    if thats the case....everyone dies...tyrion executed....jon dead...sanso and winterfell burnt to ground
    (I massively dont think that will happen)

b) danny loses....in which case she is killed...
    so who kills her...
    arya...tyrian or jon ...the only 3 to do it...
    arya has had her moment so dont think it will be her...
    jon or tyrion.....out of those 2...the better storyline is jon to kill her....but does he die to..what happens to the dragon..and what is tyrions future...im thinkin danny kills him which means jon steps up to do the deed....

who sits on iron throne at the end?...

the way all the castles are given away..and 7 kingdoms...
    sansa = the north/winterfell
    gendry = baratheons castle
    bronn = highgarden
    i reckon they rules themselves....

i reckon no one wins...at a push bran to sit on the throne as an overseerer but not king of the 7 kingdoms?...but not sure well see sansa or bran again...in this series...

i have no probem with the storyline...WW defeated brilliantly...and Danny going mad and becoming the villain.....its just the pace...the pace is making things less beleievable character wise...and doesnt feel like a fullfilling end to a long journey.

Programmer
    Forum Enforcer
    Holy Trinity Member

vCash
    Disagree with the WW angle you like. Thought that pumping the Night King up to be the main antagonist, only to have him and his army defeated so quickly was irritating.... also, so different from the books, where they only make mention of the "Night's King", a former commander of the Night's Watch seduced by a WW woman.... not a dude made into a WW by the Children of the Forest.

It' going to be Jon as king. I have zero faith that the writers can pull off some stunning twist.... they are lost without the source material to draw on and it really shows. There have been no surprise twists and turns since they got ahead of the books.... how perfect would it have been to have Arya pretending to be Jamie and killing Cersei, thus fulfilling the prophecy that she dies by her brother's hand..

Programmer
    Forum Enforcer
    Holy Trinity Member

vCash

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Craig Forrest For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Think London could be on to something with Arya having her moment already with the Night King. Though I thought it strange the scene focused on her so much when she rose from the ashes and found that horse before galloping away.

Maybe Daenarys will now kill Tyrion and for that, Jon turns on her?

God knows!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Think London could be on to something with Arya having her moment already with the Night King. Though I thought it strange the scene focused on her so much when she rose from the ashes and found that horse before galloping away.

Maybe Daenarys will now kill Tyrion and for that, Jon turns on her?

God knows!
    Daenarys executing tyrion at beginning of first episode....set the scene...
    THEN arya tries to kill her....and Daenarys either kills her or attempts to...THEN jon has to kill her to stop that happening...

jon would be more likely to kill danny for arya than tyrion...

jon HAS to do something this series....hes done as much as Davos...fought in both battles ...said a few things..

if he doesnt do the BIG THING in last episode then his character has been royally screwed over this series!

regarding prophecy of cerise killed by "little" brother....thats only in books as far as i know?....wasnt mentioned in Cersies retelling of her fortune told...
    i read the writers didnt want that in the series as it stopped them having options for cersies death...(and in the end they chose rocks to kill her!)

i cant see a way back to save this last series...it will be watchable ..a few twists...and will prob round the whole thing off...

but...what a shame they ended it like this!

vCash
    Its a shame the start of S8 was very wishy washy because that was an excellent ending. Yes it had a few holes from previous mistakes but considering what preceded it, I thought they actually done a good job.

Peter fucking Dinklage

Programmer
    Forum Enforcer
    Holy Trinity Member

vCash
    As an ending to wrap up the stories, I liked it. But I felt like they crammed so much in that the "this is how the characters arrived here" parts were so rushed and crammed in.... like we know you had to get from point A to point F at the end.... but you rushed it so much we only got a tiny bit of B and none of C or D or E..... character transitions were too fast, etc...

A good end, but a poor job of telling the story over the final 2 seasons

Can't wait for the books

vCash
    Yeah the books will be great. Hopefully he doesn't do a Robert Jordan on it . . .

Apparently watching the whole of season 8 back to back makes it far better. In so far as, it was one continuous story that was broken up really badly. Yes there a loads of issues with too much in such a short span and lots "really?" moments but as a whole worked far better as one rather than 6 segments.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Dermotron For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I'm still unsure on how I felt about the ending. It was tied up nicely but I don't think you'll ever get away from the fact the whole series (and the previous one) was rushed just to get to the end. It's a shame because there had been so much character development at the start and that's what has been missing in the last few series and a gradual build-up to getting to certain scenarios.

Ah well, they may re-make it in 20 years time when George Martin finally finishes the books

Programmer
    Forum Enforcer
    Holy Trinity Member

vCash
    So this article sums things up quite nicely, I think

https://www.wired.com/story/game-of-...s-vs-pantsers/

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Craig Forrest For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I would say money was the really crux. Lena Headley got $1m per episode in Season 8. She hardly said 60 words. Going off that, the budget for a 6 episode TV SERIES must have been hovering around $250m. There's no amount of advertising revenue paying for that.

The show eventually caved under it's own success imo.

I think their biggest mistakes were jet-packing, plot armour and the stupidity of the military at Winterfell. These created the biggest holes that they never really tried to fill in. It was the cost of making the series that caused jet-packing as I don't think they could afford a needed season 9 and longer season 8 - this was the main element people missed in the last 2 seasons, the 1 to 1 dialogue. Once they started that the holes in the stories appeared (where the fuck did all the Dothraki come from in the last episode? I know a few survived but not that many).

I'll take the last episode to make up for the shortcomings. It was decent. There's a few unresolved things (Azor Ahai the main one).

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314