View Poll Results: How should Brits vote in the referendum on 23rd June?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stay in the union

14 40.00%
  • Leave the union

16 45.71%
  • Don't know

2 5.71%
  • Don't care

3 8.57%
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast

Thread: UK Politics

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the villan View Post
    The lies from which side? Is it not undemocratic to implement the result of a referendum where a side broke electoral law? https://www.theguardian.com/politics...racy-is-shaken

The Lisbon Treaty referendums were a few years before I started following Politics. Only 16 months between them?

What is the appropriate time between referendums then? Surely it's if a situation has changed or public opinion has shifted.
    Most, if not all, of the people who I know who voted to leave paid no attention to any of the "vote leave" campaigns. In fact, I paid no attention to any of the "vote remain" either. If anyone in power thinks we pay a blind bit of attention to canvassers and their ilk then they are hugely mistaken.

We had a vote. leave won. End of. We leave. We didn't vote to leave a little bit, leave mostly, we voted to leave. So let's just do it and get on with the rest of our lives.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dermotron View Post
    It's completely undemocratic villan. The lies being told pre-refendum should have more people held accountable. Surely that level of deceit is undemocratic too.

We voted no on the Lisbon Treaty and after voting No, agreed like total spa's to vote again (since there was no outcry it had to be agreement) to get the "right" answer. The same answer which now allows our governance to enter our army into an EU Army without any say. People can bleat on a about neutrality but we've not been neutral since allowing the US Army to refuel without question (a bit too much of a tangent though)

Anyhow, Lisbon got through a second time because we were still in boom time/Celtic Tiger and its probably how this government will too for Brexit. If the arse fell out of the global economy again tomorrow, Brexit would be guaranteed without an inkling of revote - basically the UK would do an Iceland. Kind tells you all about who is running the country.
    A disgrace. You voted No and the government, yes people, much like a lot of remainers, said the people didn't understand the point of the vote so we need to do it all again. So you did. And the yes won.

The whole point of a democracy is to stick to what has been voted on and not change it or do it again because you didn't like the outcome.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dermotron View Post
    I think an issue like this is something GFRay eluded to, this should be the type of thing voted on in parliament or formulated by parliament then put to the people to decide. It just shows the total ineptitude of A) of the current government to make a decision for the people rather than private banking/business and B) how much of a shambles party politics has become.

In end it all comes down to Cameron never in a million years it would come to this. I that respect the whole lot is surely in some way a spoilt vote. Probably not
    The whole thing has been about trying to keep the conservative party happy and to hell with the rest of Britain.
    Cameron offered the referendum to keep the eurosceptics in his party quiet and didn't think he would lose. No contingency plan, just walked away from the responsibility.

All of them put party before country. 117 Tories didn't think May was fit to lead the party a month ago, yet when it comes to a vote of no confidence in her government they all back her. The hypocrisy is astounding.
    Last edited by the villan; 25-01-19 at 10:44 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by trunky View Post
    The whole point of a democracy is to stick to what has been voted on and not change it or do it again because you didn't like the outcome.
    Democracy is not a one time thing, it's constantly evolving. If it's the "will of the people" why is everyone so scared of another vote.
    Last edited by the villan; 25-01-19 at 10:29 AM.

vCash
    A disgrace. You voted No and the government, yes people, much like a lot of remainers, said the people didn't understand the point of the vote so we need to do it all again. So you did. And the yes won.

Indeed. But as I said, people were minted and thought any upheaval in the supply of their new found wealth (credit debt) was a bad thing, which is what the re-vote on Lisbon was sold as. The general public unfortunately are easily duped by tabloid sensationalism.

vCash

Why governments insist on letting ordinary people vote on such important objects is beyond me. Aren't we electing our governments to make such decisions for us?

I.m.o. there should have never been a referendum about such an important matter where more than half of the voters can't even begin to comprehend what the consequences are of their vote.
    Go check out my YouTube channel with lots of CM 01-02 related video's!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the villan View Post
    Democracy is not a one time thing, it's constantly evolving. If it's the "will of the people" why is everyone so scared of another vote.
    Because, and this is the whole point, we have already had one. just because the outcome is not what they wanted you can't go and do another one.

"You know that thing you voted for?"

"Yup."

"Well we think you are a little thick and didn't know what you were really doing so we'll have another. Hopefully you will vote properly this time."

"Erm...sure?"

vCash
    I personally don't think having more democracy can be undemocratic, but we're not going to agree so might as well leave it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GFRay View Post
    Just leave without a deal and figure it out on your own. Only time will tell whether it was the right decision or not.

P.S. Mark if for whatever reason you can't afford the site's maintenance costs after Brexit, let us know okay? We will vouch for you
    That was a joke, right? I'm fairly certain the UK economy won't crumble just because they leave the EU

vCash

vCash
    JOE are great at those, think my favourite is still either this or this though

General election 12th of December then. Hopefully the tories are booted out, they've been in power for the last 9 years now and have an absolute mess to show for it. Not holding my breath though.
    Last edited by the villan; 02-11-19 at 03:51 PM.

vCash
    Aye - because Corbyn will be great running the econony................

vCash
    The conservatives being good at managing the economy is one of the biggest myths going. The national debt has pretty much doubled on their watch, they're pursuing a Brexit that will hit the UK economy by around 70bn and have wasted taxpayers money on things like ferry contracts... with a company that had no ships

All while homelessness, poverty and food bank usage has increased as well as thousands of deaths linked to their austerity measures. Add on top of that the critically underfunded public services like the NHS, the 20,000 police officers fewer etc.

So yes I would rather take my chances with Corbyn

vCash
    You vote Tory...you are an c*** in my book.
    Last edited by Craig Forrest; 04-11-19 at 07:58 PM.

vCash
    Most, if not all, of the people who I know who voted to leave paid no attention to any of the "vote leave" campaigns. In fact, I paid no attention to any of the "vote remain" either. If anyone in power thinks we pay a blind bit of attention to canvassers and their ilk then they are hugely mistaken.

We had a vote. leave won. End of. We leave. We didn't vote to leave a little bit, leave mostly, we voted to leave. So let's just do it and get on with the rest of our lives.

Some countries in the "union" never voted to leave.
    Sooner we get independence the better

shackled to westminister for far too long.

vCash
    With all this Brexit commotion we are seeing bits and pieces of UK parliament discussions on Norwegian telly. Have to say, your politicians are rather ... what's the word, informal? People interrupting each other, shouting, throwing "funny" one liners (yesterday a speaker had a sore throat and someone got up and said "Speaker, I have Strepsils"... )

Quite amusing! Norwegian politics is nothing like this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JLa View Post
    With all this Brexit commotion we are seeing bits and pieces of UK parliament discussions on Norwegian telly. Have to say, your politicians are rather ... what's the word, informal? People interrupting each other, shouting, throwing "funny" one liners (yesterday a speaker had a sore throat and someone got up and said "Speaker, I have Strepsils"... )

Quite amusing! Norwegian politics is nothing like this.
    Ours are a pile of shite mate so if you want to swap...?

vCash
    hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

ebfatz is offline Social Media Bod
    Former Holy Trinity Member
    Stories Mod

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    one way of putting it

vCash
    Here in the Netherlands I am yet to hear the first person being positive about Boris, yet he wins the election by a massive margin. I am very, very surprised. And a bit saddened to be honest.

vCash
    I think it was a combination of the following

Brexit voters voting for Boris/Brexit party

Others just fed up with Brexit and got on board with the "just get on with it" message (ridiculous reason)

Corbyn didn't offer any strategy of what he thought of the whole Brexit thing and although his ideals are excellent, I don't think people trust him to run an economy

Bring on the complete mess.............

ebfatz is offline Social Media Bod
    Former Holy Trinity Member
    Stories Mod

vCash
    People have treated this election as Brexit: Part 2.
    They haven't taken into account things like policing, NHS, housing, unemployment.

All those things have been put on a back burner so that, as Redders says, the 52% can say "look let's get this done, we voted for it once, now we've beaten you again and you don't need a second ref."

And because it has taken so long, others have jumped on that bandwagon because they can't bear to hear the word Brexit anymore and just want it completed!

vCash
    People are garbage. Take that however you like, it's true.

End of discussion.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to faz44 For This Useful Post:

25. At least the Scots have a stronger hand to leave now, and the Irish have more reason to re-unite. Boris may get his Brexit wish, but it'll be funny if he also presides over the breakup of the Union

vCash
    I take it you believe Scotland have more of a reason to leave now due to the SNP getting more seats CF?

Members who have read this thread: 34