Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: [STORY] Oh when the Saints...

vCash
    Ricardo van Rhijn the RB of Feyenoord? That's another shocker after the Kenneth Vermeer-debacle. Where did Karsdorp go? (and why didn't you sign him? Probably best Feyenoord-player in this DB)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CMCZ For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Nice to see Benzema hit the ground running. Areola looking impressive too.
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Interesting to see you start Lallana over Bergwijn, I wonder who will make that shirt their own over the season...

vCash
    Will you be fussed if you win the league or not?

I guess top 4 is a must but does it matter to you if you don't win it whilst going after the CL Holy Grail?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CMCZ View Post
    Ricardo van Rhijn the RB of Feyenoord? That's another shocker after the Kenneth Vermeer-debacle. Where did Karsdorp go? (and why didn't you sign him? Probably best Feyenoord-player in this DB)
    Karsdorp went to Heerenveen on a free transfer. He's not all that good even.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ebfatz View Post
    Will you be fussed if you win the league or not?
    I guess top 4 is a must but does it matter to you if you don't win it whilst going after the CL Holy Grail?
    Well, if we don't win the League and don't win the "Holy Grail" either it would be a step back, wouldn't it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kuy View Post
    Interesting to see you start Lallana over Bergwijn, I wonder who will make that shirt their own over the season...
    That is probably the biggest question right now! Bergwijn was injured when we played Ajax though. And they both played 45 minutes against Feyenoord.

The thing is, Lallana was the weakest link of our midfield with 8 goals, 5 assists and only once Man-of-the-Match!

Last edited by samsami; 08-06-16 at 11:58 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

kuy

vCash
    3 very good signings there!

Shame on Messi

Lovely stuff on pre-season fixtures

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash

Saints win FA Community Shield

On Sunday 16th August 2020 Saints defeated 1st Division club Leeds United in the Community Shield.

Now this may be considered by some to be a minor trophy and Community Shield games may not be as hotly contested as other trophy finals, but last May our fans have finally tasted silverware and they are only hungry for more now! In fact, they want much more!

Kongolo and Clasie were banned so Van Dijk and Wanyama replaced them. Lallana started as right winger, which surprised many fans and pundits. A somewhat disappointed Bergwijn started on the bench.

Now it would have been an easy and comfortable victory if Forster had not brought down Parker in the area! On the other hand, the incident did confirm the importance of our recent signing of the talented PSG goalkeeper Alphonse Aréola!

And although Lennon succeeded in sending Aréolo the wrong way and scoring the penalty, our new goalkeeper played well enough in his debut match for Saints.

And Benzema's deciding goal was a beauty! He collected the ball from Schmeichel's goal kick and smashed in low on his right foot from well outside the box and found the back of the net! The look on Schmeichel's face was priceless!

Lallana obviously does not want to lose his place to Bergwijn and it must be said that he played remarkably well, but so did Bergwijn when he replaced Lallana in the second half. This is going to be one tough call!
    Spoiler!

Forster will be banned for three English matches, so Aréolo won't be too unhappy.

Now Leeds may have left the Wembley stadium empty-handed, but we had a good chat with their manager, Steve Clarke, and that led to some remarkable news a few days later!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Good win and another pot for the cleaners to polish

Sounds like a good deal for you and Mitrovic. Probably found his level with Leeds.
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Good win considering you had 10 for the majority of the game! Turns out buying Areola was a great call now that Forster is banned

Not a shock to see Mitrovic leave after signing Sturridge and Benzema ahead of him. Wonder if that money will be put back into a new signing?
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
    Good win and another pot for the cleaners to polish
    Sounds like a good deal for you and Mitrovic. Probably found his level with Leeds.
    I hope we will need to employ a few more cleaners at the end of this season

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Good win considering you had 10 for the majority of the game! Turns out buying Areola was a great call now that Forster is banned
    Not a shock to see Mitrovic leave after signing Sturridge and Benzema ahead of him. Wonder if that money will be put back into a new signing?
    Yes and Sánchez can play as striker if Sturridge and Benzema will both need a rest or are injured. Mitrovic was happy to leave! We'll see if we need more players.
    Last edited by samsami; 09-06-16 at 11:32 AM.

vCash
    With Sturridge's form last season, I'd say Sanchez up front and Bergwijn and Lallana on the wings should be your back-up if Benzema is out

21. The Following User Says Thank You to kuy For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kuy View Post
    With Sturridge's form last season, I'd say Sanchez up front and Bergwijn and Lallana on the wings should be your back-up if Benzema is out
    That is a good idea!

vCash
    I honestly didn't know you can use that many subs in an official game!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Vèrkûh For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vèrkûh View Post
    I honestly didn't know you can use that many subs in an official game!
    Like Leeds did? Yeah, neither did I. Not even after my 5 years as manager of Spurs and now into my 6th year with Saints.
    You live and learn!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I knew the Charity Shield let you have more than three subs, but I thought it was max five? Is this something in one of the new patches?

It was always helpful for resting players if you were winning comfortably and had a European Super Cup or Intercontinental Cup two days later

28. The Following User Says Thank You to kuy For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Essentially the Community Shield is a pre season friendly so you are allowed more subs than the norm.

I thought the level was 5 though not 6 but I may be wrong.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

vCash

Less than impressive start of the season for Saints

On 22nd August we defeated Watford in the opening match of the new season in front of a crowd of 39,524.

Aréola and Van Dijk replaced Forster and Kongolo, who were both banned for this match. Aréola showed his skills more than once and he was important in helping us keep a clean sheet. And this time Bergwijn started as right winger and he played well enough. Lallana came on after an hour or so to replace a tired Alexis Sánchez as left winger.

The only goal of the match was scored with a header by Goretzka with the assist coming from Abdennour.
    Spoiler!

Just four days later we demolished Huddersford at the John Smith's Stadium.

Huddersfield had to play with ten men for most of this match after McQuade had sent Benzema to the floor with a hard tackle.

Kongolo was back from his ban and Bergwijn played extremely well as right winger and he scored a great goal. And in fact, all four of our midfielders found the net in this match as did Benzema, who provided no less than three assists in addition to his goal! The other assists came from Abdennour and Goretzka. Aréola also played a solid game.
    Spoiler!

Then on Monday 31st August we played West Ham United in front of a crowd of 43,297 who had expected another win, but the match ended in a disappointing stalemate.

We played well enough as a team, although there were way too many yellow cards, but Bergwijn was more or less invisible so deep into the second half we brought on Lallana and also Rodríguez for Sánchez, but all to no avail. Benzema played very well as usual, but somehow we just failed to find the net.
    Spoiler!

And finally, after the long international break, on 13th September we played Everton in front of a crowd of 42,702. But again it turned out to be a disappointing match.

Forster was back from his ban for this match, but although Benzema played his best game so far, and Bergwijn also played quite well, we struggled to create scoring chances. Our only goal was eventually scored by Bergwijn with a fine header after a perfect pass by Benzema, but it is obvious that we still have some work to do before we are ready to conquer Europe!
    Spoiler!

A somewhat disappointing start of the season with 8 points from our first four matches. We had expected more, especially of our home games. Still, with Benzema and also Bergwijn playing so well already we have every reason to expect another very successful season.

So our assault on Europe will begin now as we shall have to play Lyon at the Stade de Gerland on 16th September! Lyon have had a poor start of the season (with 3 wins and 3 lost games) but we shall have to score at least once in order to win the match - and the goals still don't come easily.

Lyon's line up for 16th September looks like this:

Last edited by samsami; 11-06-16 at 09:27 PM.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Unbeaten and joint leaders, I'd say that was quite impressive. Individually you are doing well and the squad has more depth of quality than last season when you strugged without some individuals.

Manager cliche alert ! ...... Remember it's a marathon, not a sprint.

That should be a straight forward group to navigate your way out of.
    Last edited by Kingsley; 10-06-16 at 10:44 AM.
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
    That should be a straight forward group to navigate your way out of.
    I was thinking Benfica and Lyon may cause a few issues, especially away from home. Not enough to stop you going through but maybe not as easy as it looks.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

AJ is online now Official Challenge Team
    VIP
    Holy Trinity Member
    vCash
    Kinda slow start to the season. Good to see Benzema finding his feet so fast.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to AJ For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Hmm, not too bad a start to the season though. No defeats is the most important thing.

Great to see the crowd capacity increasing at last too!
    The Alphabet Game #3

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Hmm, not too bad a start to the season though. No defeats is the most important thing.

Great to see the crowd capacity increasing at last too!
    I hope that continues! We always have a somewhat larger crowd when we play West Ham or Arsenal.

vCash
    Lacazette, Darder, Umtiti & Cie still in Lyon ?

Lyon is a really strong Team at home. Be carfull.

Good start in the League. Second is all right as Long as you win the CL

43. The Following User Says Thank You to Alcoolix For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast