Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 386

Thread: [STORY] Oh when the Saints...

  1. #76

    Join Date
    05-03-12
    Location
    Ribble Valley
    Posts
    5,734
    Rest them. No dilema. Play grey players if you have to.
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

  2. #77

    Join Date
    07-03-12
    Posts
    1,651
    Great comeback against Palace, good to see some of the backup players taking their chance.

    Two more points guarantees you'll be top of your CL group, and to be honest you'll probably finish top even if you lose both matches! I'm very firmly in the 'rest everyone' camp, although I'd take the opportunity to give fringe players a couple of games (particularly anyone who's 'Lacking match practice' or unhappy about not playing) rather than selecting grey players.

  3. #78

    Join Date
    27-10-14
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    8,159
    Quote Originally Posted by kuy View Post
    Great comeback against Palace, good to see some of the backup players taking their chance.
    Two more points guarantees you'll be top of your CL group, and to be honest you'll probably finish top even if you lose both matches! I'm very firmly in the 'rest everyone' camp, although I'd take the opportunity to give fringe players a couple of games (particularly anyone who's 'Lacking match practice' or unhappy about not playing) rather than selecting grey players.
    That's correct. But I let all my top players who are 100% fit play at least for an hour. We are doing well in the Premier League and in the Champions League and we don't want the winning run to end.

  4. #79

    Join Date
    03-03-12
    Posts
    27,016
    Still flying in all comps

    That Palace result

  5. #80

    Join Date
    05-03-12
    Location
    Ribble Valley
    Posts
    5,734
    Quote Originally Posted by samsami View Post
    That's correct. But I let all my top players who are 100% fit play at least for an hour. We are doing well in the Premier League and in the Champions League and we don't want the winning run to end.
    And risk them picking up an injury or suspension in a meaningless game. As kuy says, it is a great chance to give fringe players a run out. (or maybe put out some guys on a booking so that they pick up another and are suspended for a game that doesn't matter). Other than that, wrap up your key players in cotton wool.
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

  6. #81

    Join Date
    27-10-14
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    8,159
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
    And risk them picking up an injury or suspension in a meaningless game. As kuy says, it is a great chance to give fringe players a run out. (or maybe put out some guys on a booking so that they pick up another and are suspended for a game that doesn't matter). Other than that, wrap up your key players in cotton wool.
    You have a point there. As to your cotton wool strategy, I have the players avoid hard tackling at least. But let's see what happens.

  7. #82

    Join Date
    27-10-14
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    8,159


    Uninspired Saints lose to Lyon

    On Tuesday 27th October we lost our fifth Champions League group match at home to Lyon in front of a crowd of 41,606.



    Sánchez could use some rest so we had Lallana start as left winger for this match which no longer mattered all that much but frankly, we have seldom seen our lads give such an uninspired performance as they did today!

    The game would have ended in a boring 0-0 draw and in fact, that would have been a fair enough result, only in moment of inspiration Kamano decided to try a long shot and to his own surprise - and that of the crowd - he found the net!

    The crowd were not pleased - they made that very clear - and we shall have to talk seriously with the lads about this!



    It would seem as if everybody had decided to take a day off, including most of the Lyon players, with the exception of François Kamano.
    Spoiler!


    Benzema injured as Saints defeat Middlesbrough

    Four days later, on Sunday 1st November we defeated Middlesbrough at the Riverside Stadium with our strongest possible formation, but Benzema had to go off injured after just seventeen minutes...



    The lads knew they would have to do a whole lot better than against Lyon and the early goal by Benzema after Bender had floated the ball into the far post, certainly gave us the best possible start to the match. However, with just seventeen minutes on the clock Benzema suffered a torn groin muscle and we had to bring on Sturridge to replace him. This was a bit of a blow, but fortunately Bergwijn doubled the score soon enough and even though Fox also scored for Middlesbrough we had little difficulty winning the game.

    A more than decent team effort with Bergwijn being named Man-of-the-Match.
    Spoiler!

    As it turns out Benzema will be out of action for the whole month of November!




    Saints knocked out of League Cup by Arsenal

    After a week's rest, on Sunday 8th November we received another minor blow when we were eliminated from the League Cup by Arsenal.



    Sánchez was back as left winger and Sturridge replaced the injured Karim Benzema while Bertrand replaced Abdennour who is on international duty. The match was more or less in balance, but deep into the second half Larsson scored for Arsenal and soon after that goal Sturridge's involvement in the game ended as he had to go off injured.

    Götze actually scored a late equaliser after a magnificent individual effort, but in extra time Arsenal scored twice to secure a place in the League Cup Fourth Round.

    An unfortunate game for us, but perhaps it's better in the long run as we have a very demanding schedule even without having to play all those extra League Cup matches.
    Spoiler!

    After the match we were informed that Sturridge will be out of action until early March! This means we shall have to play our next four or five matches without Benzema and without Sturridge!





    Now we have to play Benfica next. A game that is crucial to them, because they need at least a draw in order to qualify for the next phase. For us the game is far less important and hardly what we need right now!
    Last edited by samsami; 01-08-18 at 08:04 PM.

  8. #83

    Join Date
    05-03-12
    Location
    Ribble Valley
    Posts
    5,734
    You could have done without Goetze's late equaliser v Arsenal. Forced you to extra time and you lost anyway. Could be selection problems for the next game, but it doesn't matter what happens against Benfica, so I guess that all of the players from that game will be rested. Atleast you won the important league game and you have a break before the next league game.

    Losing your 2 main strikers at the same time is a sore one. Who do you put up top now ? Sanchez ?
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

  9. #84

    Join Date
    03-03-12
    Posts
    27,016
    Lyon match matters little

    But the injuries to strikers is a big blow! Dip into transfer market? Who is 3rd choice striker?

    Good say v Boro?

    Have you topped CL group already? To top the group always a good thing and even more important for the phase after this

  10. #85

    Join Date
    27-10-14
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    8,159
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
    You could have done without Goetze's late equaliser v Arsenal. Forced you to extra time and you lost anyway. Could be selection problems for the next game, but it doesn't matter what happens against Benfica, so I guess that all of the players from that game will be rested. Atleast you won the important league game and you have a break before the next league game.

    Losing your 2 main strikers at the same time is a sore one. Who do you put up top now ? Sanchez ?
    Sánchez will be the obvious choice with Rodríguez or Lallana replacing him as left winger.
    Last edited by samsami; 15-06-16 at 08:54 AM.

  11. #86

    Join Date
    27-10-14
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    8,159
    Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    Lyon match matters little
    But the injuries to strikers is a big blow! Dip into transfer market? Who is 3rd choice striker?
    Good say v Boro?
    Have you topped CL group already? To top the group always a good thing and even more important for the phase after this
    Benfica will win the Group if they beat us.
    Last edited by samsami; 15-06-16 at 08:54 AM.

  12. #87

    Join Date
    16-12-11
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    11,080
    Sturridge injured for 4 months....

  13. #88

    Join Date
    27-10-14
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    8,159
    Quote Originally Posted by Fods View Post
    Sturridge injured for 4 months....
    Yes, who would have thought
    Last edited by samsami; 15-06-16 at 09:38 AM.

  14. #89

    Join Date
    05-03-12
    Location
    Ribble Valley
    Posts
    5,734
    Interesting that Sturridge was fine until Benzema got injured, then realised that he might actualy have to play. Maybe he tore that groin muscle on purpose.
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

  15. #90

    Join Date
    27-10-14
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    8,159
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
    Interesting that Sturridge was fine until Benzema got injured, then realised that he might actualy have to play. Maybe he tore that groin muscle on purpose.
    At least we have Sánchez so hopefully he will stay fit for a month, until Benzema is back from his injury.

  16. #91

    Join Date
    31-10-11
    Posts
    27,984
    Oof, all that talk about protecting your players for the CL game and then your two strikers get injured in the following two games

    Shame to lose in the League Cup, would have been nice to try and perhaps check that one off the list.

  17. #92

    Join Date
    27-10-14
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    8,159
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Oof, all that talk about protecting your players for the CL game and then your two strikers get injured in the following two games

    Shame to lose in the League Cup, would have been nice to try and perhaps check that one off the list.
    Yes, but Benzema got injured in a League game that was important. He had to play then and at least he scored a goal first!
    Sturridge had to play against Arsenal but at least Sánchez is not injured.
    I think we need to be more careful now.

  18. #93

    Join Date
    07-03-12
    Posts
    1,651
    Shame to lose Benzema and Sturridge, especially since both were in reasonable form. A cup run would be nice, but it must be way down your list of priorities right now. Hope your players aren't too tired for the next match

  19. #94

    Join Date
    27-10-14
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    8,159
    Quote Originally Posted by kuy View Post
    Shame to lose Benzema and Sturridge, especially since both were in reasonable form. A cup run would be nice, but it must be way down your list of priorities right now. Hope your players aren't too tired for the next match
    Fortunately we have enough time to rest during games right now. In December that will change. We have lots of games then!

  20. #95

    Join Date
    27-10-14
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    8,159


    Benfica too strong for Saints

    On Wednesday 11th November we played Benfica at the Estádio da Luz in Lisbon.



    Benzema and Sturridge are still injured as is Bertrand, while Bender was suspended for this one European match; Soares replaced Bender, Alexis Sánchez obviously started as striker and Lallana as left winger.

    Benfica needed at least a draw and they started out by pushing forward in numbers. However, in one of our first counters Alexis Sánchez tried his luck with a long shot and he actually scored!

    The home crowd was not to be silenced though. Benfica kept attacking ferociously and it did not take long before Renato Sanches cancelled out Alexis Sánchez' opener. And just before the break Dzeko also found the net when he rifled a dipping shot at goal!

    Now we did not want to waste any energy nor take any unnecessary risks, so in the second half we brought on Van Dijk and Ward-Prowse for Kongolo and Goretzka. And because Benfica knew that all they had to do was defend, the game slowly petered out.



    We played carefully so at least we avoided any further injuries. The last thing we want now is for Alexis Sánchez to be injured as well. Or Götze for that matter. Or Goretzka, who by the way did not play all that brilliantly today.
    Spoiler!

    A rather predictable result, but it does mean that Benfica end top of Group H.

    But what really matters is that half of the teams have been eliminated - including FC Barcelona - while we are still in the race!















    Last edited by samsami; 01-08-18 at 08:05 PM.

  21. #96

    Join Date
    16-12-11
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    11,080
    Why did Benfica need to win?

  22. #97

    Join Date
    05-03-12
    Location
    Ribble Valley
    Posts
    5,734
    No easy teams at the top of the groups, although I suspect that you would quite like to give Ajax a hammering. ADO or St. Etienne the pick of the second placed sides ? Who ever you draw, the first group show the importance of a good start.
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

  23. #98

    Join Date
    27-10-14
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    8,159
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
    No easy teams at the top of the groups, although I suspect that you would quite like to give Ajax a hammering. ADO or St. Etienne the pick of the second placed sides ? Who ever you draw, the first group show the importance of a good start.
    Draw will be announced in a couple of hours.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Fods View Post
    Why did Benfica need to win?
    Could Lyon not have overtaken them if they had lost?

  24. #99

    Join Date
    27-10-14
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    8,159
    Quote Originally Posted by Fods View Post
    Why did Benfica need to win?
    True. A draw would have been enough for them as well.

  25. #100

    Join Date
    16-12-11
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    11,080
    Yeh they could on GD but they didn't need to win, like you say a draw sees them through.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •