Maybe some decent youth can come through the academy

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    Not much to haggle with player wise

Ok size ground

Maybe some decent youth can come through the academy
    Well.... academy is a big word!

We are talking the lowest of the lowest here. TOP Oss only had a very short spell in professional football from 1955 until 1957 in what was then the Second Division (which doesn't exist anymore) before rejoining the amateur ranks. In 1991 the club became professional again.

vCash

A bleak start

Instead of pre-season friendlies we had to play three group games to try and qualify for the next stage of the KNVB Cup and after finishing last season so well I firmly believed in our 4-4-1-1 formation and sure enough, we managed to narrowly defeat Eindhoven!

That's when you start to think you are somebody! Half a dozen games in a row undefeated with Dorjee sitting beside you and then winning the first game of the new season alone at the helm - and an away game at that - makes you feel invincible!

Only to come back down to earth when you lose at home to the Roermond amateurs..

Nobody had expected this and it left the fans wondering, but with a bit of luck - and a penalty! - we beat the amateurs of EHC/Norad and so we actually did qualify from group 9 but it left all of us feeling rather insecure.

The thing is, without cash you cannot sign any new players so all we could do was loan a couple of players so that we had at least some more squad depth. A rather bleak start to the season.....
    Spoiler!
    Last edited by samsami; 17-04-18 at 06:21 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

Tournaments Won: 4

vCash
    Qualifciation

Is that MARK Van Bommel?!

GK looks awful but I guess he'll hjave to do as back up

Defender looks decent enough

Question - why are you deleting the year from the date of birth?!

vCash
    Qualifciation
    Is that MARK Van Bommel?!
    GK looks awful but I guess he'll have to do as back up
    Defender looks decent enough
    Question - why are you deleting the year from the date of birth?!
    Mark van Bommel was 18 at the time and playing for Fortuna Sittard. So we will meet him yet!

Dates of birth were off.

vCash
    I forget this is ODB (or earlier?)

vCash
    I forget this is ODB (or earlier?)
    Earlier. It's 1994-95 and it's August 1995 now. Just after Ajax won the CL.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

vCash
    DB you made yourself? Or just edited ODB? Or someone made this DB?

vCash

13. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

well qualified for the cup but 2 dodgy results vs amateurs wasn't anything to shout about.
    2 loan signings you really are scraping the barrel for talent
    good luck for the season ahead

vCash

Success does not come easy

After six League games we were in 17th position. Success does not come easy for a new manager!

The thing is, whereas Bengtson may have been as stubborn as Sir Douglas Haig by firmly believing in his endless conditional training sessions (without achieving anything!) I made the mistake of firmly believing in my 4-4-1-1 formation. But it was soon clear that a simple change in tactic would also not lead to instant success.

However, this not the story of TOP Oss and there's no point in relating the full story of how we slowly started winning games. In fact, I have forgotten most of the details myself. Suffice to say that we slowly became better as a team and my first three years as a manager were not a total failure. In fact, the third year was considered at least moderately successful by the TOP Oss Board.

1995-1996

1996-1997

1997-1998

Meanwhile, Feyenoord ended in a somewhat disappointing fourth place in that 1997-1998 season. I was still keeping an eye on them, of course!
    Last edited by samsami; 15-08-18 at 02:25 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I'm confused here...........

Are you carrying on with this story and are currently 17th after 6 games? (and the tables below are just what happened IRL?)

Or no longer carrying on with it?!

vCash
    I'm confused here...........

Are you carrying on with this story and are currently 17th after 6 games? (and the tables below are just what happened IRL?)

Or no longer carrying on with it?!
    This was a fast forward. The three years with TOP Oss were uninteresting for this biography.

vCash
    Story over then?!

Shame as I was enjoying you struggle

vCash
    Story over then?!

Shame as I was enjoying you struggle
    Not properly finished yet. Currently updating all my other stories so that the PostImage links work again. Finished a few of them already . Two to go. Painful

vCash
    Still confused - is the above story of you managing "Top" over?

vCash
    Top Oss was a mere footnote in the story. I could describe each season in detail, but that would hardly be interesting. Suffice to say that my first three years as a manager could best be described as 'plodding'.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

vCash

Leo Beenhakker

Those three years with Top Oss were formative years for me as a young manager, but something far more important was happening. As I said, Feyenoord had ended the 1997-1998 season in a somewhat disappointing fourth place but during that season, in November, they had signed a new manager, none other than Leo Beenhakker who had already managed a very impressive number of clubs, including Real Madrid!

1965–1967 SV Epe
    1967–1968 Go Ahead Eagles (assistant)
    1968–1972 BV Veendam
    1972–1975 Cambuur
    1975–1976 Go Ahead Eagles
    1976–1979 Feyenoord (youth)
    1979–1981 Ajax
    1981–1984 Real Zaragoza
    1984–1985 Volendam
    1985–1986 Netherlands
    1986–1989 Real Madrid
    1989–1991 Ajax
    1990 Netherlands
    1992 Real Madrid
    1992–1993 Grasshopper
    1993–1994 Saudi Arabia
    1994–1995 América
    1995 İstanbulspor
    1996 Guadalajara
    1996–1997 Vitesse

And Feyenoord needed Beenhaker or the season would have ended in disaster again! They had ended in 7th position the year before and things did not look good again so Beenhakker had to perform his magic and although the first two games against relatively weak teams both ended in a disappointing goalless draw Beenhakker eventually managed to end in fourth place with Feyenoord. Still under par, but they were getting there!

The next season would change my life!

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

vCash

Back to Rotterdam

That summer Beenhakker called me and said that I would learn far, far more about being a good football manager if I came back to Rotterdam to train the Feyenoord youth than if I stayed with TOP Oss.

He said he had done the same himself, back in 1976 after he had already been the manager of Veendam, Cambuur and Go Ahead Eagles and he told me that when you manage the youth of a club like Feyenoord with their excellent youth academy you learn so much more than when you are the manager of a club from the lower League, like TOP Oss.

Of course, I did not hesitate and the next season was unforgettable!

First of all of course, because Mr. Beenhakker showed the football world what he can do. Feyenoord won the title again!

Now some people thought that it was mainly because we had not one but two (budding) star players: Julio Ricardo Cruz and Jon Dahl Tomasson. And they had a point.

Other people claimed that our hardworking defenders and midfielders were the main reason that Feyenoord won the title with a fifteen point gap between us and runners-up Willem II !

But the truth is that we won the trophy because Mr. Beenhakker got along well with Cruz, Tomasson and the others and he managed to mould them into a team.

Of course I only observed all of this from a distance as I worked with the youth players, but those things seemed important to me at the time. To have one or two star players may be essential but above all, the team has to be harmonious and be a hard-working unit and it's the manager's role to mould them into a team. And that is far more important than endless training sessions or clever tactics.

Obviously, Feyenoord's success did not last. It never does with Feyenoord. Beenhakker left as did Cruz and Tomasson and decline set in again and in 2011 Feyenoord ended in a miserable 10th position. Ronald Koeman came and he gave the club new hope again.

The rest, as they say, is history.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011