Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 54

Thread: The Mandela Effect

  1. #1
    316'sRegen Unattached

    The Mandela Effect

    Anyone heard about this one?

    Named after the late great Nelson Mandela, this is when people remember a different event than is recorded in the history books. In the example of Nel Mandel people remember him dying in 1991 in jail and there's textbooks that say the same apparently


    other examples are the logos of well known brands changing, like Ford and VW, i thought brands update their logos all the time but seen someone who claimed to be restoring a 1940's ford and tve "newer" version of tge logo was stamped into tge engine block.


    alternate timelines, change in human consciousness, evidence for simulation theory a few theories on the reason the effect is being noticed at this time.


    Anyone experienced it? I don't remember Nelson dying in 1991.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to 316'sRegen For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Join Date
    31-10-11
    Posts
    21,483
    vCash
    4500
    I've just had to Google the subject to find out a bit more about what this meant as I have no idea what you're on about

    I got this:

    https://www.buzzfeed.com/christopher...-make-you-ques

    Some of those certainly could have fooled me. The Queen lyrics and the Star Wars quote from Darth Vader for definite!
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

  4. #3
    Craig Forrest's Avatar
    Craig Forrest is offline Manager
    Official Challenges Mod
    Programmer
    Forum Enforcer
    VIP
    Holy Trinity Member
    Join Date
    02-03-12
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    4,121
    vCash
    1547

  5. #4
    316'sRegen Unattached
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I've just had to Google the subject to find out a bit more about what this meant as I have no idea what you're on about

    I got this:

    https://www.buzzfeed.com/christopher...-make-you-ques

    Some of those certainly could have fooled me. The Queen lyrics and the Star Wars quote from Darth Vader for definite!
    The Queen one is a new one to me but many drunken nights that song was played, many cup finals, karaokes etc. "We are the champions....... OF The Woooooooooooooooooorld!" is how the song ends, right? That's how i remember it. Remember singing it that way, remember 100% the song blaring that bit back, i must check it out on spotify

    I actually collect Monopoly sets, the guy's monacle was never there? Na, that's just wrong. I remember in ace ventura: when nature calls there was even a joke Carey does about a monacled dude, referencing monopoly! The monacle was the wee man's trademark feature.

    I kind of posted this thinking someone could explain it or offer something even plausible as an explanation but you've just gave me 2 new ones!
    Last edited by 316'sRegen; 19-01-17 at 05:47 PM.

  6. #5
    316'sRegen Unattached


    That's not the right ending (2:55)



    not definitive proof but why give the guy a monacle, costumes etc are specifically designed for movies. If the monop guy never had a monacle at any time in history, why include one in the character?



    Last edited by 316'sRegen; 19-01-17 at 07:10 PM.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    07-07-12
    Posts
    3,163
    vCash
    590
    Once you hear about the Mandela effect it sounds amazing, but most of it is easy to declare.

    One of the most 'proven ones' is the famous line 'Life was a like a box of chocolates my momma always said' (from Forest Gump). Most people (including me) tought it was 'Life is like a box of chocolates.'

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJh59vZ8ccc

    But it is just one of these 'once you hear it, you can unhear it'-situations. Because of the accent of Tom Hanks the words was and is are very close to eachother and it's hard to hear the difference. Also 'is' instead makes more sense to the human mind, why the hell would she say 'was', so the mind thinks the word logically is 'is'

    Same is with 'No, I'm your father' instead of 'Luke, I'm your father'. As 'Luke, I'm your father' is more of a great quote this one stays more in the memory.


    -Queen song: The 'of the wooooorld' is real, but just not in the original version
    -Can't remember Nelson died before a few years ago, can't remember monopoly guy without a mustache.

  8. #7
    316'sRegen Unattached
    I'll agree to all of that except the monopoly guy
    the monacle was the thing in question and I remember it for sure, I've collected these things for 15 years

    The Tom Hanks quote, grammatically correctly spoken would be the word "was"
    He's telling what his mamma used to say so when describing the past tense to the lady on the bench "was" would be correct (and script writers will usually obey these rules)
    Last edited by 316'sRegen; 19-01-17 at 08:40 PM.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    07-07-12
    Posts
    3,163
    vCash
    590
    Quote Originally Posted by 316'sRegen View Post
    I'll agree to all of that except the monopoly guy
    the monacle was the thing in question and I remember it for sure, I've collected these things for 15 years
    To me 2 things I'm pretty sure about is the VW-logo (which definitely had the V connected to the W without the space) and absolute sure 'Revelation' used to be 'Revelations' in the bible. (also in Dutch)

  10. #9
    316'sRegen Unattached
    I've rationalised most of them but i can't shake the monopoly man, or Uncle Pennybags to give him his proper name.

    This also bothers me: http://www.muscularmustangs.com/database2/fordlogo.php

  11. #10
    Join Date
    03-03-12
    Posts
    14,573
    vCash
    5103
    Queen "We are the champions" had me - not really mch for the rest

  12. #11
    316'sRegen Unattached
    My rationale for that one was that usually if the full song is played the whole room is drunk, or celebrating. Everyone sings along and sings the last part (that doesn't exist and was never there in the first place). Maybe we even think the DJ muted it to let everyone get their shit in at the end. Then we collectively mis-remember it in the euphoria of enjoying it.

    convoluted but plausible

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to 316'sRegen For This Useful Post:


  14. #12
    Join Date
    31-12-14
    Posts
    97
    vCash
    500
    Think the Mandela Effect is an odd name for this. How anyone can think he died in 1991 is a mystery to me. Him being freed was one of the most iconic moments in recent history and his death, just 4 years ago, was a huge event. The Mandela effect described, pertaining to history, is just ignorance nothing more.

    Popular, mass misremembering of film quotes is a different thing entirely and very common due to how they are repeated via TV and word of mouth.

    Take Field of Dreams most famous line "if you build it, they will come" ...... it's "he" not "they". Or Get Carter..... "You're a big man but in bad shape"..... it's actually "out of shape"

  15. #13
    Join Date
    31-03-13
    Location
    Happyland
    Posts
    852
    vCash
    8500
    This one will be hard to explain but sure.

    Probably one of the most famous quotes in Swedish sports history is from the game between England and Cameroon in 1990. At least thats popular belief. Cameroon is losing and the TV cameras show their bench and the players are looking bit unhappy of course. The commentator then says "Things are looking dark at Cameroon's substitute bench", just meaning that they aren't looking very happy. Later on the quote got famous because it seemed slightly inappropriate.

    Some year ago or so, a guy at Swedens biggest internet forum created a thread where he wondered why there is no audio of this on the internet when it is so famous. Then people started to drop in and saying that "Oh, I remember seeing that so well. Really cracking and we got a good laugh". Some others claimed that "No no, that quote was in fact in a Nigeria game in 1994, I remember exactly in which apartment I watched it and with whom". Turned out different people were (independently from each other) completely sure that they have watched different games with that quote.

    So the research began. Many people seem to have taken part in re-viewing the games and pretty fast they could dismiss the Cameroon v. England game. The quote is not there. Neither in another of Cameroon's games in that championship. Soon enough people had watched basically every single game with an african team in WC 1986-1994, watched the Word cup reviews from those years and so on. The quote? Nowhere! They found however some quotes that slightly could be mistaken for the famous one, but not exactly near it.

    TL;DR: the probably most famous sports quote in Sweden, that very many people are sure that they watched live, have turned out to me likely to never have happened.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Felix For This Useful Post:


  17. #14
    316'sRegen Unattached
    Quote Originally Posted by kengandhi View Post
    Think the Mandela Effect is an odd name for this. How anyone can think he died in 1991 is a mystery to me. Him being freed was one of the most iconic moments in recent history and his death, just 4 years ago, was a huge event. The Mandela effect described, pertaining to history, is just ignorance nothing more.

    Popular, mass misremembering of film quotes is a different thing entirely and very common due to how they are repeated via TV and word of mouth.

    Take Field of Dreams most famous line "if you build it, they will come" ...... it's "he" not "they". Or Get Carter..... "You're a big man but in bad shape"..... it's actually "out of shape"
    It's called that because when he died in 2013 this was the first time the effect was seen/discovered. The people don't remember just the fact that Nel died, they remember being taught about it in school, they remember details of the funeral on TV and Winnie giving a heartfelt speech. The people even call it "a different timeline" but they will all say just as insistantly as yourself that they don't know how we can;t remember what they do It's named after him because he was the first example of the effect.

    I agree with the movie things, they are mis-remembered, also I would say conflated ("If you book them they will come" from Wayne's World probably bleeds into Field of Dreams)
    The Forrest Gump one annoys me because the quote is his mothers, not his so it's pretty basic (GCSE) English.

    There's a video I watched with many many examples where The Simpsons did knock offs of movie scenes, we've all seen loads of them but in every example they showed the Simpsons would make such little tweaks to the quotes, which invariably are the mis-remembered versions. Now how long have the re-runs of The Simpsons been on, 25 years? So they have tainted the actual memory.

    But what about the FORD logo? No one has commented on that but there are lifelong Ford heads that say the F is wrong, I agree with them as well.


    Spoiler!
    Last edited by 316'sRegen; 20-01-17 at 07:53 PM.

  18. #15
    Join Date
    20-06-12
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,200
    vCash
    4255
    Forrest wasn't actually quoting his mother but paraphrasing her, which I think adds to the confusion. Can't say I've ever noticed the Ford one, I was certain that We Are The Champions ends differently though.

  19. #16
    316'sRegen Unattached
    "My mamma always said that life was like a box of chocolates" <--- it's just past tense, that's all.

    It is also confusing that on the box of the movie the quote is the one direct from mamma:
    "Life is like a box of chocolates, you never....."

    Possibility of conflation again because of that. It seems the movie ones are a lot of the times band wagonners trying to be the first to find these, I find the logo ones more convincing.

    Do you remember the Ford logo as the image in the last post mate?
    I don't remember the curly stroke on the F ever being there.

  20. #17
    Craig Forrest's Avatar
    Craig Forrest is offline Manager
    Official Challenges Mod
    Programmer
    Forum Enforcer
    VIP
    Holy Trinity Member
    Join Date
    02-03-12
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    4,121
    vCash
    1547
    Memory is such a fucked up thing..... and it changes with time, interactions, and experience

    I remember watching a show where they took about 20 volunteers on a hike through a wooded area.... at one point the walked past a heavily treed area that was cordoned off with police tape, and a guy in a blue "police-type" shirt standing there.... the volunteers couldn't really see anything past the guy and they kept walking.

    They interviewed the volunteers about it 8 months after the fact, and all of them had different recollections of the event.... some were sure that there was some kind of crime scene with multiple cops .... some were absolutely sure that they had scene wreckage, perhaps of a small plane.... two people were 100% positive that it was something to do with aliens.... none of the people said "it was some yellow tape around an area that was difficult to see with one guy in a blue shirt"... their memories had adjusted for things they'd imagined, discussions they'd had with friends and family, stuff they'd seen on TV or read in the news..... it was really interesting

  21. #18
    Join Date
    31-10-11
    Posts
    21,483
    vCash
    4500
    The Ford logo looks pretty normal to me?
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

  22. #19
    316'sRegen Unattached
    idont remember seeing the pigtail part on the stroke of the F.

    when you look at it from further away it does knd of disappear but i find it odd that at some point in my life i didnt see a larger version of the logo. wasnt super sunday sponsored by ford? surely their logo fills the screen at several points in that?

  23. #20
    Join Date
    31-12-14
    Posts
    97
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    The Ford logo looks pretty normal to me?
    Me too, and I still don't understand the Mandela link.

    This is just stupid people being wrong and deciding it must be a conspiracy, no?

  24. #21
    316'sRegen Unattached


    do you know what conspiracy means?


    of course there are crazy theories of tge cause of the mandela effect. The CERN facility has fractured 'the veil' between universes and ofher timelines are being spliced with ours, theres a photo of one of tge scientists wuth a big mandela poster hooked round his neck.


    theres one off 4chan where a user clamed to be a scientist working in an alternate dimension, altering our reality for our own good.


    lots of theories.




    but what i find interesting about it is that large numbers of people have the same alternate versions of history in their memories. are they all stupid?

  25. #22
    Join Date
    31-12-14
    Posts
    97
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by 316'sRegen View Post


    do you know what conspiracy means?


    of course there are crazy theories of tge cause of the mandela effect. The CERN facility has fractured 'the veil' between universes and ofher timelines are being spliced with ours, theres a photo of one of tge scientists wuth a big mandela poster hooked round his neck.


    theres one off 4chan where a user clamed to be a scientist working in an alternate dimension, altering our reality for our own good.


    lots of theories.




    but what i find interesting about it is that large numbers of people have the same alternate versions of history in their memories. are they all stupid?
    Yes. Very much so.

    In general I find that half the people in the world have below average intelligence. This handful of people are almost certainly in the lower percentiles.

  26. #23
    316'sRegen Unattached
    IQ has been tested and measured.

    like all traits, it follows a bell curve pattern but varies between races.


    even if all these people are mis remembering, i would say if you got them all and tested their IQ you would probably get a strikingly similar bell curve to the first one

  27. #24
    Join Date
    31-12-14
    Posts
    97
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by 316'sRegen View Post
    IQ has been tested and measured.

    like all traits, it follows a bell curve pattern but varies between races.


    even if all these people are mis remembering, i would say if you got them all and tested their IQ you would probably get a strikingly similar bell curve to the first one
    I find it remarkable that a serious piece of analysis would be done on such a strange subset of the population. I'd love to see the data. It sounds very interesting.

  28. #25
    Join Date
    31-03-13
    Location
    Happyland
    Posts
    852
    vCash
    8500
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Forrest View Post
    Memory is such a fucked up thing..... and it changes with time, interactions, and experience

    I remember watching a show where they took about 20 volunteers on a hike through a wooded area.... at one point the walked past a heavily treed area that was cordoned off with police tape, and a guy in a blue "police-type" shirt standing there.... the volunteers couldn't really see anything past the guy and they kept walking.

    They interviewed the volunteers about it 8 months after the fact, and all of them had different recollections of the event.... some were sure that there was some kind of crime scene with multiple cops .... some were absolutely sure that they had scene wreckage, perhaps of a small plane.... two people were 100% positive that it was something to do with aliens.... none of the people said "it was some yellow tape around an area that was difficult to see with one guy in a blue shirt"... their memories had adjusted for things they'd imagined, discussions they'd had with friends and family, stuff they'd seen on TV or read in the news..... it was really interesting
    Reminds me of a lecturer I saw two years ago. They had taken a bunch of college students and asked them a lot of questions, one of which were "have you ever flown in a hot air balloon?". Of those who said no, the researchers contacted their families and got photos of them at young age, then edited them into a picture of a hot air balloon trip. Then again they confronted the students with the photos and asked them why they said they have never flown like that, when they obviously have.

    What's interesting isn't that many of the students changed their mind and said that yes, they now remember flying in a hot air balloon, but that many of them also could describe from where the trip took place, who was onboard and so on... And they don't had ant intention of lying, but when they saw the picture and were told that it happened, they actually believed that it did and started to recall false memories from the event.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •