Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 313738394041
Results 1,001 to 1,017 of 1017

Thread: The Alphabet Game #3 - April 2017 Data Update

vCash
    Alright decided to pick up on this since there is not a sign of a new Alphabet Game yet (And I will just restart when there will be one!)

At Belenenses I had to clean up the mess following the relegation first. There were a couple of players leaving on a Bosman and already some signed. I cancelled all but one of the new arrivals, because they were really bad.

With 4.2 M in the minus I had nothing to work with and in the summer I landed mostly free transfers. Two 1.5 M board injections and some sold players later, I had just over 2 M to invest in players. There were little to no quality players interested to join us so I decided to make due with what I had and only bought three players for squad depth.

The season started well and we quickly had a lead over the rest of the teams. The Taca de Portugal ended for us in the 5th round when we lost after penalties to Gil Vicente. Despite a quick red card for us we still dominated the game, but couldn't score and lost the penalty lottery.

In the league we steadily build our lead to giant proportions and clinched the title with 8 games left to play. With this price and the promotion in the bag, I started my search for a 'C' job.

At the beginning of August 2018 (3rd season) the position I've had my eyes on for some time finally came available. I'm going back to my home country of Holland to manage Cambuur Leeuwarden who just relegated from the Eredivise.

A: Ards (Champions '16/'17 NIFL Championship, Winners '16/'17 NIFL Cup)
    B: Belenenses (Champions '17/'18 Portugese Segunda Liga)

Last edited by GFRay; 22-11-17 at 10:40 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to GFRay For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    How do you find enough hours in the day for all you are doing GFRay?!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ebfatz View Post
    How do you find enough hours in the day for all you are doing GFRay?!
    Haha, not sure mate!

I've got a relaxed job which allows me to work a lot from home. Besides that I have no missus right now to bother me or spend time on!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GFRay For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Dominance with Watford continues as we win the Championship with 107 points. Now for the Premier League; I've £18m in the transfer kitty so hopefully can get us ready to be competitive at that level, but I'd be surprised if we beat Man Utd to the title first time given the form they are currently enjoying both domestically and in Europe.

XV de Piracicaba seem to be enjoying life under Thiago Henrique Zanelli but I continue to monitor his situation and pray for another eligible club or two to emerge back into playable leagues...

Previous Clubs:
    Ards: 9th in Premiership, lost playoff & relegated
    Ballyclare: 4th in Championship
    Cliftonville: 5th in Championship
    Derry City: 8th in Premier Division
    Esbjerg: 12th in 1st Division
    Falkirk: non-league
    Gamba: 7th in J2 League
    Huddersfield: 17th in Premier League
    Independiente: 14th in Primera B Nactional, 7th in Primera B Nacional Group 1
    Jämshög: 1st in Division 1 S.G., won promotion playoff
    Kayserispor: 11th in Super Lig
    Leganés: 7th in La Liga
    Man Utd: 1st in Premier League, UEFA CL winner, EFL Cup runner-up
    NEC: 17th in Eredivisie, 4th in Playoff Group 1, relegated
    Osasuna: 2nd in La Liga
    Panegialios: 9th in Superleague
    Queen of the South: 9th in Premiership
    Rotherham: 1st in League One
    Sivasspor: 3rd in Super Lig
    Telstar: 7th in Eredivisie
    Ural: 3rd in Premier League
    Ventforet: 8th in J1 League, Club World Cup runner-up

8. The Following User Says Thank You to NormandyWept For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    At Cambuur I faced the same situation at Belenenses: There was no money and a debt so nothing to work with. Luckily Cambuur had already attracted some decent players on a Bosman and the squad was pretty well balanced. As it turned out I only needed a backup left central defender and a good striker which I both brought in on loan. At the winter break I sold some dead weight and loaned three more players as their replacement. Since our wages where too high and I couldn't get rid of some top earners, the board had to inject 1.9 M and 925 K into the club to help with the running costs.

In the KNVB Beker we qualified from our group stage with all wins. We cruised through the 2nd and 3rd round with ease and managed to beat mighty Ajax 4-3 in the quarterfinals in a thriller of a game. In the semi-finals we played VVV Venlo, but undeservedly lost 3-1 which denied us the final.

We started the Eerste Divisie with 10 won games in a row and quickly build a gap. Eventually we easily clinched the Eerste Divisie title with 7 games left to play.

And so the search for a 'D' team begins...

A: Ards (Champions '16/'17 NIFL Championship, Winners '16/'17 NIFL Cup)
    B: Belenenses (Champions '17/'18 Portugese Segunda Liga)
    C: Cambuur Leeuwarden (Champions '18/'19 Dutch Eerste Divisie)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GFRay For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I've only gone and pipped Man Utd to the title!!

We led them for a lot of the campaign but they always had games in hand. When we slipped slightly in March I thought they'd overtake us, but they continued to stumble in the games in hand and after we drew at Old Trafford in the penultimate game they duly slipped up in midweek to miss out on the chance to even take it to the final day.

Somewhat ridiculousy, my counterpart at Man Utd won Manager of the Year. I get that he's a world champion, but he didn't just win the league with a newly promoted team, did he?

XV de Piracicaba remain one of the most stable clubs in the world, but there are a lot of insecure jobs in Brazil so I'm hopeful of Thiago Henrique Zanelli being tempted away somewhere to give me a chance to advance in the alphabet. If not, I'll see what I can do with Watford in the Champions League...

Previous Clubs:
    Ards: 1st in Championship
    Ballyclare: 9th in Championship, relegated
    Cliftonville: 6th in Championship
    Derry City: 1st in Premier Division
    Esbjerg: 13th in 1st Division, DBU Pokalen runner-up
    Gamba: 11th in J2 League, relegated
    Huddersfield: 18th in Premier League, relegated
    Independiente: 1st in Primera B Nacional
    Jämshög: 13th in Superettan
    Kayserispor: 5th in Super Lig
    Leganés: 5th in La Liga
    Man Utd: 2nd in Premier League, Club World Cup winner, EFL Cup winner, UEFA CL runner-up
    NEC: 7th in Eerste Divisie, 2nd in Playoff Group 2
    Osasuna: 1st in La Liga, Copa del Rey winner
    Panegialios: 10th in Superleague
    Queen of the South: 9th in Premiership, Scottish Cup runner-up
    Rotherham: 22nd in Championship, relegated
    Sivasspor: 4th in Super Lig, Turkiye Kupasi runner up
    Telstar: 8th in Eredivisie
    Ural: 2nd in Premier League
    Ventforet: 8th in J1 League

12. The Following User Says Thank You to NormandyWept For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    Great work guys, hope them X and D jobs come up soon.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to AMC For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Great work guys, hope them X and D jobs come up soon.
    Is MK Dons considered a D club or an M club?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GFRay View Post
    Is MK Dons considered a D club or an M club?
    Definitely M, as it's the short name that counts (what appears when you look at the league table and job screen), as opposed to long name (what appears at the top of the page when you click on the club) or common nickname.

I'm still interested in a new edition, does anyone have anything to add to the ideas already put forward?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to CMAdventurer For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I had Watford going well, through to the Quarter Finals in the Champions League, but struggling to compete with a rejuvenated (=heavily-invested-in) Man Utd who we trailed by 10 points in the Premier League. But then XV de Piracicaba finally opted for regime change, and so I move on to a new letter. Let's see what I make of Brazilian football...

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NormandyWept For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Finished 3rd in the state championship and lost the Semi-Final. The only clubs who have been a match for us have been Sao Paulo and Corinthians, so I'm hopeful of being able to do some serious damage in Serie C when the national league resumes in August...

Elsewhere, at my former clubs:
    Ards: 6th in Premiership, Irish Cup winner
    Ballyclare: non-league
    Cliftonville: 5th in Championship
    Derry City: 1st in Premier Division, League of Ireland Cup winner
    Esbjerg: 4th in 1st Division
    Gamba: non-league
    Huddersfield: 6th in Championship, won playoffs, promoted
    Independiente: 18th in Primera Division opening stage/20th in closing stage, relegated
    Jämshög: 16th in Superettan, relegated
    Kayserispor: 7th in Super Lig, Turkiye Kupasi runner-up
    Leganés: 15th in La Liga
    Man Utd: 1st in Premier League, UEFA CL winner
    NEC: 5th in Eerste Divisie
    Osasuna: 5th in La Liga
    Panegialios: 12th in Superleague
    Queen of the South: 2nd in Premiership
    Rotherham: 12th in League One
    Sivasspor: 2nd in Super Lig, Turkiye Kupasi winner
    Telstar: 4th in Eredivisie
    Ural: 4th in Premier League
    Ventforet: 9th in J1 League, J League Cup winner
    Watford: 2nd in Premier League

21. The Following User Says Thank You to NormandyWept For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    Fingers crossed that's the case mate

vCash
    So I decided to try the challenge starting off at Ards and after trying to find a few new players it was obvious nobody had ever heard of Ards and 2 loan players were the best I could do.

To be honest I thought I would Holiday the 1st season and see what happened and after 23 games it was a stroll

Finished the season winning the Championship drawing 4 and losing 4 whilst losing the League cup QF on penalties

A: Ards (Champions '16/'17 NIFL Championship)
    B: ...Searching for one and there's only 2 Free, Blyth Spartans and Barco from Spain 2B. Applied for them both but I think it maybe another season at Ards as I'm the worst manager in the game!

***BREAKING NEWS*** eve sham takes charge of Spanish team Barco (not barca ) - Got my work cut out here with no squad and 250k transfer budget

**Update: well I managed to sign 16 players for £120,000 but with running costs my remaining Transfer balance is 0 I played half of the season and was 5 points clear, put it in holiday mode while I jumped in the bath and finished 4th just in the playoffs A further 6 games in the playoffs were mainly disappointing , drawing 4 and missing out on promotion by 1 point!
    A new job offer from Bangor back in N.Ireland, should I stay or go hmmmm???
    Last edited by evesham; 30-11-17 at 05:16 PM.

vCash
    Fun season in Serie C: a weird competition with a league, a knockout round, and a final group stage. We came through all of that and finished in the top two of our group to secure promotion:

That left the small matter of a Final against the other group winner to make sure that we got into that competition History screen and that I completed 'X'. We prevailed over two legs to do just that:

No 'Y' jobs around at the moment but there are plenty. I've turned down Yeovil three or four times in my career: they should ring me again for a different answer! In the meantime, as usual I carry on and will try and revamp the squad for a shot for another state championship and then a Serie B campaign.

Previous clubs:
    Jämshög: 7th in Division 1 S.G.
    Ural: 1st in Premier League
    Ventforet: 13th in J1 League

25. The Following User Says Thank You to NormandyWept For This Useful Post:

vCash
    So I finished 2017/2018 with Barco in 4th qualifying for the playoffs but failing to win promotion. After a miserable time in Spain I applied for Bangor back in Northern Ireland...

..and it must be the luck of the Irish I won the NIFL for a 2nd time (previously with Ards) and also the Irish Cup against Irish Premier opposition Glentoran
    I've applied for a few minor "C" clubs but I'm starting saturnv4 alphabet challenge

27. The Following User Says Thank You to evesham For This Useful Post:

vCash
    XV de Piracicaba were having a good season, into the last 16 of the Brazilian Cup and just one point away from sealing play-off qualification, when Yeovil Town finally decided enough was enough after their fourth in loss in five games saw them slide into the relegation zone. I was appointed with just one game of the Premier League season to go, and with our fate out of our hands. Thankfully, two other teams slipped up, meaning our 1-0 win over Torquay was enough to finish 16th and secure Premier League football for next season.

Now to improve the squad: we need midfielders in particular and there's a cool £66m budget available to get things done.

Previous clubs:
    Ards: 10th in Premiership, relegated
    Derry City: 2nd in Premier Division
    Esbjerg: 11th in 1st Division
    Huddersfield: 8th in Premier League,
    Independiente: 7th in Primera B Nacional, 1st in Primera B Nacional Group 3, lost playoff quarter-final
    Kayserispor: 6th in Super Lig
    Leganés: 13th in La Liga
    Man Utd: 1st in Premier League, Club World Cup runner-up
    NEC: 9th in Eerste Divisie
    Osasuna: 4th in La Liga
    Panegialios: 14th in Superleague, Kypello Elladas runner-up
    Queen of the South: 1st in Premiership
    Rotherham: 18th in League One
    Sivasspor: 3rd in Super Lig, Turkiye Kupasi winner
    Telstar: 13th in Eredivisie
    Watford: 3rd in Premier League

vCash
    Won the League Cup (forgot to screenshot it) and wrapped up the league with Yeovil with a game to spare:

...which still left time to get the Zaragoza job and win three of the last four games. That meant a comfortable midtable finish in the Segunda, so next we'll try to push for promotion.

I'm relieved that in this game I won't have to use the cumbersome 'Job Information' UI any more! :-)

Previous Clubs:
    Ards: 1st in Championship
    Derry City: 4th in Premier Division
    Esbjerg: 8th in 1st Division
    Huddersfield: 12th in Premier League
    Independiente: 11th in Primera B Nacional, 6th in Primera B Nacional Group
    Jämshög: 8th in Division 1 E.G.
    Kayserispor: 7th in Super Lig
    Leganés: 14th in La Liga
    Man Utd: 10th in Premier League
    NEC: 6th in Eerste Divisie, 4th in Eerste Divisie playoff group 2
    Osasuna: 9th in La Liga
    Panegialios: 1st in Superleague
    Queen of the South: 3rd in Premiership
    Rotherham: 5th in League One, lost playoff final, EFL Trophy winner
    Sivasspor: 3rd in Super Lig
    Telstar: 17th in Eredivisie, 1st in Eerste Divisie playoff, avoided relegation
    Ural: 8th in Premier League
    Ventforet: 9th in J1 League
    Watford: 14th in Premier League
    XV de Piracicaba: 1st in Serie B

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NormandyWept For This Useful Post:

Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 313738394041