Thread: Shearer's Newcastle Glory

vCash

Shearer's Newcastle Glory

Shearer's Newcastle Glory

(This story is based solely on the original 01/02 database, also with the SI Games Patch applied)

After moving to Newcastle United for a world-record 15M in 1996, Alan Shearer never won a major trophy with his hometown club. Shearer retired in 2006, and in this story I'm aiming to win major trophies with Newcastle United before Shearer retires in the game. I'll be restricting myself to only using a 4-5-1 formation(with some flexibility in terms of playing a defensive midfielder, a flat midfield 5, or with an attacking midfielder behind the striker), with Shearer starting every game if he is at a minimum Condition Level of 85%. Shearer must play in the central striking role and cannot be substituted unless his condition drops below 75%(85% if he is carrying a potential injury or in need of a rest/exhausted). The only With Ball/Without Ball changes made will be in the final quarter of the pitch, where all midfielders except for the midfield holder being moved into the box. The midfield holder will take up the place of a central midfielder in each part of the pitch in the final quarter, when we have the ball.

Starting Squad

Finances

The stand-out players in the squad at the beginning of the season were Shearer, Kieron Dyer, and Shay Given. Laurent Robert would provide a useful boost in creativity and flair on the left-wing when he returned from injury in 5 months. The board were aiming to avoid relegation, and despite the lack of a large transfer fund I set myself a target of winning the league in the first season, while also aiming to win both the League Cup and the F.A. Cup. I believed that with the right signings I could build a squad capable of challenging for the league.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mcnamee19 For This Useful Post:

vCash

Transfer Dealings

I knew I needed more transfer funds if I were to get the quality of squad that I wanted. It took time, but over the season this is how the Players Out list progressed -

Players Out

While some players were let go for less than their transfer values, I needed the money quick as I needed to have a strongest squad as possible for the start of the season. The late season sales of Hugo Viana and Laurent Robert helped take incomings to 33M.

Players In

The main aim was to surround Shearer with pace and flair, and give him a high level of service. The main transfer target was Andres D'Alessandro, and it took a while to persuade him to come, but we managed it in the end! There were also issues over the transfer fee but as our income increased with the player sales we were eventually able to afford him. There were some great free transfers made, with Taribo West and Babangida the stand-outs. Belsue also got some decent game time at right-back before Karl Corneliusson was brought in towards the end of December. Okoronwko was brought in from Shakthar and together with West made and excellent central defensive partnership. West, Okoronkwo, and Babangida all left for the 2002 African Nations Cup so were missing for a certain period of time. Kristian Bergstrom performed well on the left wing until Pedro Munitis and Aghahowa were brought in towards the end of the season with the money brought in by the sales of Hugo Viana and Laurent Robert.

Season Summary

League Table

It was disappointing not to win the league. We were still in with a chance with 8 games to go, but couldn't keep up with Manchester United and eventual winners Liverpool. Even though we finished as third-top scorers in the league, we let in more goals than any of the top four. One positive to take was Champions League qualification for the 2002/03 season. In my next update I'll post some in-depth details of key/memorable matches during the season.

F.A. Cup Semi-Final

A very disappointing game, where Shay Given did not perform at his best, and we in fact had one more shot on target than Chelsea. Andres D'Alessandro and Pedro Munitis missed this one through injury. Our weakness was at full-back, with both Wayne Quinn and Alberto Belsue both receiving 6/10, and Boudewijn Zenden getting Man-of-the-Match for setting up two of the goals and providing an additional three key passes.

League Cup Final

Another very disappointing game, where Manchester United played a weakened side and we dominated the game, with 17 shots to their 9. Although playing a somewhat weakened side Sir Alex Ferguson did play some of his big players, with David Beckham getting Man-of-the-Match and socring the winning penalty. Beckham set up both of United's goals and provided an additional two key passes. There seems to be a weakness at full-back which will need to be addressed in the summer.

Premier League Top Scorers

Premier League Top Performers

Although we didn't finish the season with any trophies, there was some personal success for our players. Alan Shearer finished second-top goalscorer in the league with 20 goals, while Isaac Okoronkwo and Taribo West were two of the best performers throughout the whole season. If our weaknesses at full-back can be addressed then we can have a much-improved defence next season.

In my next update I'll provide more a more detailed look at the season !

Last edited by mcnamee19; 14-07-17 at 03:51 PM.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mcnamee19 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Really like reading your stories!. Solid first season with the huge turnaround of players. Orononkwo & West is such a beastly centre half pairing.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Shambalane For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I never liked West. He was always a red card waiting to happen and as a result lost more games than he won for me.

Some blasts from the past in those players Fred Risp

Wasn't Michael Chopra a bit of a wonder kid, or was that the .68 update.
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Surprised Bramble was sold, bit of an ODB legend if I remember rightly.

More of an ODB legends story so far with those signings
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shambalane View Post
    Really like reading your stories!. Solid first season with the huge turnaround of players. Orononkwo & West is such a beastly centre half pairing.
    Thanks ! I'm hoping Okoronkwo and West will help keep things tight at the back next season with the introduction of some improved full-backs !

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
    I never liked West. He was always a red card waiting to happen and as a result lost more games than he won for me.

Some blasts from the past in those players Fred Risp

Wasn't Michael Chopra a bit of a wonder kid, or was that the .68 update.
    Thankfully West hasn't been too bad in terms of discipline for me. We did have some issues with discipline in the first half of the season, Babangida was sent off more than once I think. Chopra was a mistake on my part, I didn't realise how good he would get in such a short space of time. I think this is the first time I've played the 01/02 databse with the SI Games Patch...I thought it was just some bug fixes that were included in it but with Wayne Rooney included I realised squads were updated too! Villareal picked up Chopra, and they also picked up Mark Kerr so it was a pretty good season of transfers for them !

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Surprised Bramble was sold, bit of an ODB legend if I remember rightly.

More of an ODB legends story so far with those signings
    Haha it is ! On the Bramble sale I was just going through the squad and selling anyone who wasn't immediately useful to me as River were asking 20M for D'Alessandro and I wanted him in the team to play behind Shearer, and any other signings were a bonus!

vCash

Here's a few more details of how the season went -

Team Lineup

This is how things were in pre-season, with this being the lineup in the home friendly against A.C. Milan -

We lost the game but still created a decent amount of chances, going down 4-3 eventually -

After all the signings this is how our strongest lineup looks -

D'Alessandro was the main target and we got him, and the team overall was strengthened too with the quality of players rising significantly. On looking back I probably should have started Corneliusson in the big Cup matches, he'd hit a run of bad form before the League Cup Final and his Morale was Low, so I decided to put Belsue in, whose strengths mainly lie in going forward instead of defensively, and didn't have great games in either of the big Cup games.

Premier League Home Form

Premier League Away Form

The Home Form was our strength, and although we had some victories away from home, our Away Form really let us down and will have to be improved upon next season.

Key Matches

Newcastle United 2 - 1 Tottenham

After losing 3-1 away to Bolton on the opening day of the season, the first home game didn't start off well, but a great solo run and goal by Babangida levelled the match before Bergstrom scored the winner.

Newcastle United 2 - 1 Arsenal

The first match where we started to believe we could challenge for the league, beating title challengers Arsenal 2-1.

Liverpool 3 - 2 Newcastle United

Another big game against title challengers Liverpool. We had the same number of shots(six each) in the game, but concending three penalties really let us down. The full-backs both got 6/10(although Left-Back Wayne Quinn did set up one of Shearer's goals), but there was a positive in that Shearer scored two goals and got Man-of-the-Match. Okoronkwo and Given also impressed with 8/10 each. Central midfield was a weak area in this game with Jenas and Hernan Vigna both receiving 5/10, and Kieron Dyer receiving 6/10 and not really influencing the game in his attacking midfield role.

Sunderland 3 - 2 Newcastle United

A disappointing result in the derby, especially after being 2-1 up. Away performances like this will have to be improved upon next season.

Newcastle United 3 - 0 Bolton Wanderers

Surprisingly, Bolton were amongst the title challengers this season, even leading the table at numerous stages of the season, especially in the first few weeks where they went successive weeks at the top. They were beaten 3-0 in style.

Newcastle United 2 - 1 Manchester United

The next title challengers to be beaten at St. James's Park were Manchester United. After our great start they probably edged it in terms of chances created but we got the win in the end.

Newcastle United 1 - 0 Sunderland

Losing Shay Given for three weeks to injury was a blow, but it was great to get a victory over Sunderland with Shearer scoring the winner.

Newcastle United 1 - 0 Liverpool

Next up was the visit of eventual Champions Liverpool. In a game we dominated it was Shearer's penalty that ended up being the winner.

Newcastle United 4 - 0 Charlton

The last home game was won in style, beating already relegated Charlton 4-0, with Alan Shearer getting a hat-trick. This left us only needing a point away to Leeds United in the final game to ensure Champions League qualification.

Leeds United 0 - 2 Newcastle United

Leeds were having a disappointing season by their standards, but they still had a talented squad and were one of only two teams to beat us at St. Jame's Park so they were still dangerous opponents. In the end we ran out comfortable 2-0 winners, with Bolton finishing fifth after an impressive season by their standards.

Other Results & Statistics - 2001/02

Arsenal 3 - 1 Tottenham

Sol Campbell scored against former club Tottenham in a 3-1 derby win, with Jermaine Pennant impressing. Tottenham would beat Arsenal 2-0 at White Hart Lane later on in the season with goals from Keane and Rebrov.

Liverpool 1 - 0 Manchester United

A key game towards the end of the season, this came a week after we'd beaten Liverpool 1-0, and they bounced back with a 1-0 win against rivals Manchester United, who were effectively neck-and-neck in the league with Liverpool right until the end of the season. In the second to last game of the season Manchest United suffered a 1-0 defeat away to Sunderland with Kevin Phillips scoring the only goal, whereas Liverpool won all of their remaining games after beating United to clinch the title.

F.A. Cup Final 2001/02: Chelsea 3 - 0 Crystal Palace

After beating us in the Semi-Final, Chelsea went on to win the F.A. Cup 3-0 against First Division Crystal Palace.

La Liga Final Standings - 2001/02

I'm not sure how this happened, but it did! Athletic Bilbao winning La Liga, comfortably ahead of Barcelona and Real Madrid.

Manchester United 3 - 3 Barcelona

I decided to watch this one to see if there would be an English team in the Champions League Final, and what a game it turned out to be! United looked to have overturned the 1-0 away defeat by half-time and were heading to the Final, but a disastrous second half led to them being eliminated by Louis Van Gaal's Barcelona.

Champions League Final 2001/02: Barcelona 1 - 0 Juventus

In the Champions League Final Barcelona beat Juventus 1-0, in what was a bad day for Juventus with Davids sent off after 13 minutes and Buffon suffering a broken toe.

Premier League Top Assists

Premier League Top Assists

Despite only winning the League Cup with Manchester United, David Beckham had personal success as he ended the season with the most Premier League assists as well as being included in the Premier League Player's Team of the Year. Newcastle were represented by Taribo West.

In terms of the other major domestic leagues, Inter won Serie A by finishing two points ahead of Roma, while Bayern Munich won the Bundesliga by finishing one point aheasd of Borussia Dortmund.

Last edited by mcnamee19; 14-07-17 at 04:39 PM.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mcnamee19 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Will keep an eye on this but signing ODB wonderkids

Solid first season and expect you to kick on followin signings

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Cherno Samba Won't get much game time though if Shearer starts every game.
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    Will keep an eye on this but signing ODB wonderkids

Solid first season and expect you to kick on followin signings
    Yeah I was thinking that myself yesterday, after the first season its not really going to look like anything people haven't seen already haha, with funds increasing I can build the squad up again and we should have enough to win the league and some cups, although nothing is guaranteed haha. I'll see how it goes but I might keep this as a personal save game as its not going to be anything out of the ordinary from now on. I should really have kept it to a one-season story and posted updates as I went along. It was an interesting first season and we really should have been higher up the league but I paid the price for not being tactically solid enough away from home and playing Belsue when I had a better alternative in Corneliusson. I might do another one-season story at some point as I think they're quite challenging, and it is definitely possible to take a team from lower down th League to Premier League Champions in one season.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Cherno Samba Won't get much game time though if Shearer starts every game.
    Yeah it was a wasted transfer really haha, I should have kept Chopra and had him on the bench instead of Samba!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnamee19 View Post
    I might keep this as a personal save game as its not going to be anything out of the ordinary from now on. I should really have kept it to a one-season story and posted updates as I went along... I might do another one-season story at some point as I think they're quite challenging, and it is definitely possible to take a team from lower down the League to Premier League Champions in one season.
    That would be a great idea, a one season story with regular updates!

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by samsami View Post
    That would be a great idea, a one season story with regular updates!
    I've got an idea for the team I'm going to base it around , I think I'll finish the Shearer story first and then its either this or the Nottingham Forest story again if I have a new laptop by then!

Quote Originally Posted by mcnamee19 View Post
    Yeah I was thinking that myself yesterday, after the first season its not really going to look like anything people haven't seen already haha, with funds increasing I can build the squad up again and we should have enough to win the league and some cups, although nothing is guaranteed haha. I'll see how it goes but I might keep this as a personal save game as its not going to be anything out of the ordinary from now on. I should really have kept it to a one-season story and posted updates as I went along. It was an interesting first season and we really should have been higher up the league but I paid the price for not being tactically solid enough away from home and playing Belsue when I had a better alternative in Corneliusson. I might do another one-season story at some point as I think they're quite challenging, and it is definitely possible to take a team from lower down th League to Premier League Champions in one season.

Yeah it was a wasted transfer really haha, I should have kept Chopra and had him on the bench instead of Samba!
    Ignore the above post haha! It turns out things aren't as straightforward as I thought they'd be in the following season so I'm going to keep this going, as soon as I get some screenshots done I'll be posting some updates .

22. The Following User Says Thank You to mcnamee19 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Unfortunately health issues will cause a delay in updates being posted for this story, and the Nottingham Forest story. I'll see how things go but if I can't see myself being able to continue them I'll request them to be closed. I won't leave it almost 5 months before updating again as I did in my Nottingham Forest story. Sorry about this.

vCash
    Hope you feel beeter soon fella

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    Hope you feel beeter soon fella
    Thanks Redknapp . Thankfully feeling a lot better now!

Just getting some screenshots together and should have another update posted later on .

vCash
    An update on the above post, I haven't had a lot of access to the home PC tonight but screenshots will be posted tomorrow, sorry again for the delay!

vCash
    Sorry, yet another delay for the update on this after I said it was coming today, it will be posted eventually. The next post I make will be a story update, and I'll post when I can instead of setting deadlines I can't meet haha!

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mcnamee19 For This Useful Post:

vCash

Back in business -

Before I update the Newcastle part of the story, England made it to the 2002 World Cup Final -

2002 World Cup Final: Brazil 1 - 1 England

It had to be Gareth. Although to be fair he hadn't been backed up well.

Transfer Targets

I mentioned above that I expected the following season to be pretty straightforward, with finishing fourth meaning that I could bring in the transfer targets that I wanted. I needed to strengthen at Full-Back, and planned to bring in Wilfried Bouma from PSV for this. Okoronkwo was going to be shifted to right-back and I planned to bring in a quality central defender or two to partner Taribo West in central defence. I also wanted more quality on the right-wing. Babangida and Ryan Williams were going well there but I wanted more end-product and targeted Transfer-Listed Luis Figo. I wanted central midfield to be more solid, and had two relatively cheap targets in mind for this. Julius Aghahowa was sold to Rangers to fund all this, with his sale and the TV money expected to be enough. It turns out that Bouma and Figo didn't want to come....

Central midfield was sorted pretty early, bringing in Guiliano Giannichedda from Lazio and also bringing back club legend David Batty from Leeds.

Both had great stats for central midfielders, albeit mainly on the defensive side of things, but this is what I was looking for.

Giuliano Giannichedda

A pretty decent signing if you're looking for a solid central/defensive midfielder. Wasn't getting played at Lazio and cost 2.2M, paid over 24 months, plus some add-ons.

Bojan Djordjic

This signing actually happend by chance. Manchester United were interested in Nolberto Solano, and in an attempt to bring up the price I asked for Djordjic in exchange. I was only expecting a higher offer to come in but Fergie offered 2.7 M plus Djordjic, so I thought why not, it adds a bit more depth to left-wing.

David Batty

There's no screenshot here as Batty went and retired at the end of the season, despite playing a decent number of games over the season. He's still a legend even if he did retire earlier than I expected. I'm also to blame in taking a bit too long in getting a screenshot done, but trust me he was decent. He also filled in as captain when Shearer was out injured.

Newcastle 1 - 0 Slovan Liberec

Tactics

Summary

This result together with a 1-0 win in Liberec qualified us for the Champions League Group Stages. That defence still needed sorting out, even with Francisco Javier Arce coming in improving us at right-back. A big mistake was made in not realising he would be classed as a "Fgn" player, and with Okoronkwo, West, and Babangida all important parts of the team, it would be hard to fit him in.

Transfer Summary

Transfers In

Transfers Out

A pretty decent season for signings overall, with some quality brought in to bring the overall quality of the squad up. Woodgate and Klompe were brought in to cover the need for two new central defenders, with one being back-up. Some players were unhappy at the lack of squad depth but all these signings sorted that out. Manolis Ligkos was brought in in the second half of the season to add a bit more up front when used off the bench, or when Shearer was out injured.

League Summary

We had a great start, going unbeaten and winning our first six games, and sat nicely at the top of the league, with a nice 2-0 win over Inter at home to go with it. Everything was going well until this happened -

Sunderland 2 - 0 Newcastle

Summary

Match Stats

Player Ratings

Shearer was out injured for a month but we still had a decent enough team out to get a draw at least. We didn't take our chances. This was the start of a bad week.

Sparta Prague 1 - 1 Newcastle

Summary

Match Stats

Player Ratings

This effectively knocked us out of the Champions League. We needed Sparta Prague to win away at Inter on the final day to finish in the top two, which didn't happen.

Newcastle 0 - 2 Chelsea

Summary

Match Stats

Player Ratings

Even with Shearer back we didn't take our chances. Given had a bad game and didn't save the only two shots that came his way. Despite his great stats Given was starting to put in the odd performance like this. This result made us lose top spot in the league.

In one week we'd lost in the derby and lost our unbeaten record, been effectively knocked out of the Champions League, and lost top spot in the league. After this we never got any real run of victories together to get close to top spot. We finished the season with a 10-game unbeaten run though, winning seven of those games.

Premier League Final Standings 2002-03

We finished a disappointing third. In the next update I'll post about the cups we were involved in and a few more of the matches in the league!

Last edited by mcnamee19; 07-08-17 at 06:36 PM.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mcnamee19 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    good effort...d'asselandro....awesome old skool player

vCash
    You bought "sick note" Woodgate ! Better buy some more physios.

Mike Duff and Teddy Lukic are old skool faves. Deco must be getting on a bit
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

vCash
    Ah, Mike Duff... Hello, old friend!

Batty retiring

Must say I don't recognise that Italian midfielder at all though.
    The Alphabet Game #3

vCash
    Should have been fired on the spot for losing to Sunderland!!

36. The Following User Says Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post: