Thread: Windows 10 User Account Controls

vCash

Windows 10 User Account Controls

One thing that has been annoying me with the patches is that when you start up the cm0102.exe, you get an annoying prompt from Windows User Account Control asking if you want to allow the app to make changes.

I know that you can alter the UAC settings, but call me “paranoid”, however I don’t really want to let the bad guys have free reign on my laptop with any rogue apps that they might manage to get on it, so until now, I have suffered the clicking on YES. However I’ve discovered a registry tweek that allows you to control how UAC responds to programs run as Administrator.

You need to run regedit to edit your registry settings. When in, navigate to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\System
    You are looking for the ConsentPromptBehaviourAdmin key

On my laptop it defaults to 5, however
    0 allows administrators to perform operations that require elevation without consent (meaning prompts) or credentials (meaning authentication).
    1: A value of 1 requires the admin to enter username and password when operations require elevated privileges on a secure desktop.
    2: The value of 2 displays the UAC prompt that needs to be permitted or denied on a secure desktop. No authentication is required.
    3: A value of 3 prompts for credentials.
    4: A value of 4 prompts for consent by displaying the UAC prompt.
    5: The default value of 5 prompts for consent for non-Windows binaries.

I have changed this to a 0 and now cm0102.exe, and other apps run as Administrator, will fire up without any annoying prompt. Apps run as user are unaffected and still get prompted.
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash