Thread: How to make money with lower league teams

vCash

How to make money with lower league teams

Gents, am managing in the lower leagues in Sweden but can't seem to make any money. My ground is tiny and keep falling behind the eight ball with cash. Don't really have any big names either so not heaps of cash being outlayed on the team.
    Any ways of making cash apart from trimming the squad to bare bones?

vCash
    Good cup run will help, being drawn away to a big side etc
    Also, arrange friendlies against bigger sides in pre season will give you a bit of a boast.
    Scout youth players and if your lucky may discover a gem which you can sell on in a year or so.
    Manage your wages, get rid of any high earners and replace with loan players

vCash
    Cheers Charlie, great ideas. Have signed almost exclusively youth players so some of them are turning out to be great.

vCash
    Get Duelund on a free transfer and sell him when he is worth a lot of money!

vCash
    Dueland? I wonder if he'll still be in after now (2007) haha

vCash
    Move all your reserves to your first team to ensure you don't play any Reserve games (at best you get a pittance from playing home reserve games and at worst they actually cost you money!). Arrange a weekly friendly at home against the best teams that will accept your offer and play your reserves against them. This will give you greater control over youth/reserve development and guarantee you at least some income every week. You only get money for home games, I've never seen any of my teams make money from an away game, including cup competitions, although others on here have said they have received a good sum of money after playing a top side away in a cup. Personally I think this might be a bonus for getting to a specific round but I have absolutely no evidence to back this up.

You can also save money on staff by employing free cheap coaches, physio’s and scouts. You only really need one scout (with good Judging Potential) to look for youth players but if you really want to or if you have fog-of-war enabled, a second scout (with good Judging Ability) for “scout next opposition” and a third (good Judging Ability) to scout your region if you need to fill out your squad is probably the very most you need. Judging Ability and Potential are the only relevant attributes for scouts.
    The only attribute important to a physio is Physiotherapy, so get three free physios with the cheapest wages you can find with Physiotherapy at 20. Having 3 Physio’s has been proven (first link below) to reduces the instances of injury and the duration of the injuries, so if you have a small squad the extra physio’s could be vital.
    Coaches are a bit more complicated, but basically Coaching Outfield (CO) and Coaching Keepers (CK) are the only relevant stats. To maximise your training potential each regime (Fitness, Goalkeeping, Shooting, Tactics & Skills) needs to add up to 50 or higher. So again go and find the four or five coaches with the lowest wages that give you at least 50 for each regime.
    Example: Coach A has CO 13 CK 9, Coach B CO 12 CK 15, Coach C CO 18 CK 7 & Coach D CO 9 CK 11.
    Your Coaching Outfield total will be 13 + 12 + 18 + 9 = 52
    Your Coaching Keepers total will be 9 + 15 + 7 + 11 = 42, so you need to add a coach with CK 8 or higher or replace a coach with high enough stats that all regime’s remain above 50.
    I hope that last bit makes sense!
    There is no evidence (I think) that an Assistant Manager adds anything to your team other than the occasional insight into how a player is training or the potential of a youth but they usually demand much higher wages. I don’t doubt that there will be some on this site who will disagree with me on this, so it might be something you need to experiment with for yourself, but it’s certainly worth considering ditching your assistant if you’re really hard-up. The exception to this is if you use holiday mode, in which case you’ll need an assistant to manage your team in your absence.

Check these out for more info:
    http://champman0102.co.uk/showthread.php?t=714
    http://champman0102.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7674

Hope this helps, Good luck!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to trevorplatt For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Love the challenge you have set out, i have never managed in the lower leagues abroad but have in England and its tough but as stated above, arrange games well, make sure you have good coaches for low budgets and they acheive stats that you need, young players that can fit your budget and team are also key.

I have always managed have a good run with small teams and best is still taking Kidderminster (in debt when i started) to League 1 and made them financially viable from just buying (free agents) and selling players on.

vCash
    Thanks for the help guys, will try all those things as never thought of doing it. One of the best part of the games is talking a small team to the top and these "issues" are a part of the process

vCash
    There is a flaw that you can use. I dont consider it as it cheating as sometimes things like this happens in football. You can sign free good players for month to month contract and then immediately sell them. While i was playing in Polish second division i earned like this 5 mln euros. I dont use that trick now as the game is easy without it and sooner or later save will get bored.

vCash

Curzon Ashton

Quote Originally Posted by technoir View Post
    There is a flaw that you can use. I dont consider it as it cheating as sometimes things like this happens in football. You can sign free good players for month to month contract and then immediately sell them. While i was playing in Polish second division i earned like this 5 mln euros. I dont use that trick now as the game is easy without it and sooner or later save will get bored.
    I took over Curzon Ashton in the new data update. They have about 4 players. I signed a bunch of scouts and sent one out for youth players, UK & Ireland and Southern Europe.

I managed to sign a squad on a free basically and got promoted from the Northern Premier League. Half way through the season I search for high value players over 24 that will sign for CA and sign them on a free in June. But sign the players from scout lists that come recommended also.

CA's first season in the Conference was a cracker and we finished 1st. Got to the fourth round in the FA Cup and lost 3-0 to Tottenham and got to the Semi Final of the FA Trophy. Achieved back to back promotions. My issue now is this. I'm about to walk in the third season with a club which historically has always been in about 300K worth of debt. We're now in the green thanks to the continued successes on the pitch.

3 of my best players valued at a fraction of their minimum release clauses have now been sold due to the minimum clause values being met. Although the total incoming will be over 1 million. I'm hesitant to increase all of the wages of the squad.

However players now demand a higher wage. I'm struggling to attract players of a sufficient calibre to replace the players I've lost.

I have a feeling the first season in Football League 2 is going to be a whole new experiences for Curzon Ashton's players, fans and board.

I'm tempted to move on from the club and let it be another managers problem but I want to cultivate the team I've brought together into the Football League but I'm struggling to attract the right players at the right wage.

Any thoughts?

vCash
    Stick and see it through mate

vCash
    I know it sounds odd, but you do need to keep offering players the maximum wage. Providing the finances are OK, then every time you hit the maximum wage, the bar will be lifted, which allows you to attract better and better players. You can do this either with new recruits, or by offering new deals to existing players.

Also on contracts, try offering a £0 relegation clause, rather than a minimum fee. They more than often accept and providing you don't get relegated, you have the player for as long as you want.

The third tip is that a year of consolodation in midtable might not be a bad thing. It allows the club reputation to grow and that again allows you to sign better players.
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash

Thanks

Thanks for the tips guys.

So I'm rocking mid table after the first half of season 3. Playoffs are in sight though.

Got about 300K in the green and the wage bill isn't astronomical. Managed to sign some brilliant youth players courtesy of Ian Thomas Moore's scouting skills.

I think the board will upgrade my Awful training facilities and as you say a season of consolidation may not be a bad move.

Will keep you all updated if you're interested. I'm in December so I'll start to trawl the players whose contracts are expiring in June!

I'll offer everyone the relegation release clause from now on. Good shout. Cheers!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marktrett1 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Yeah the relegation clause rather than minimum fee is a great one, if players ask for a minimum fee clause I offer them a relegation clause of £0 instead, safe in the knowledge I'll never get relegated

Yeah keep us updated mate, the How are you Doing thread is the best place to talk about your current save.

vCash
    Hi Guys,

A recap on Curzon Ashtons story so far.

Won automatic promotion from Northern Premier League. Won automatic promotion from the (by winning the league) Conference. Obviously was a struggle at the start of last season with lots of outgoing players. Balancing the wage bill and working with the board to improve the stadium and training facilities.

Good news, Curzon Ashton in League 2 was not a total disaster. Lost all pre season friendlies, but found some very important players cheaply and ploughed on through. Tactics were switched to a very narrow 451 at first I kept it very cautious and played defensively as I was not convinced we could hold out after a poor preseason.

We lost our first game but we weren't creating enough, so I switched to normal play style and focused on short passing. To my surprise we won went an a long unbeaten run, Lee McGregor was banging in goals all start of the season.

Injury struck and some of my best players out for a month a time. Struggled with the games coming up and lost a few in a row. By the time the teams fitness improved we managed to get to 16th in the league which was a far cry from the heady heights of 1st when the media were throwing superlatives at us and the chairman was pleased with my ambition.

We had a fabulous cup run in the Trophy cup North and ended up winning the final of that against Tranmere Rovers in the league above us. This meant a North South show down between Curzon Ashton and Wycombe Wanderers who at this time of the season were languishing at 17th in the league. Curzon Ashton went 2-0 down and showed superb character to win the Trophy 3-2.

By now we were on the outside of the playoff zone and needs to make 3 points up. Luckily the league was quite tight and some sterling performances from Lee Gregory, Ryan Leonard and Harry Bunn put us in the best possible position in the run up to play off finals.

Finishing 4th and missing out on automatic promotion by 1 points, Curzon Ashton needed to treat the playoff's like the cup and beat everyone they faced.

Every game was a cup final. Beating Macclesfield 1-0 in the first leg and 3-0 in the second leg. We drew AFC Wimbledon in the final which for everyone making the trip to Wembley was a bore 0-0 draw.

Curzon Ashton missed the first penalty and the writing was on the wall but Sam Walker the hero picks out 2 AFC Wimbledon penalties to win the shootout for us.

Curzon Ashton are now embark on their 4th season, their first in League 1 with 1.2 million in the bank with most of their players on relegation release clauses rather than minimum fee and one of their hot prospects for the feature is potentially about to get sold for at least £750,000 to Blackburn (I will negotiate for 1 mil) - Nico Langoff (Maybe regen)

With a couple of key signings incoming such as Nicolai Brock-Madsen and Charles Vernam. Adding to an already strong squad in League One I'm hoping we can comfortably avoid relegation. Another promotion should be impossible!!!

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marktrett1 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Never say impossible!

vCash
    You've just reminded me of Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy. "If you've done 6 impossible things this morning, why not round it off with breakfast at Milliways, the Restaurant at the End of the Universe?"
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    The difficulty is finding a decent keeper that is prepared to join Curzon Ashton to be fair I'll find it hard to drop Sam Walker now as he is directly responsible for our promotion in the playoff final. I have him and Scott Flinders signed both are decent and I have a young regen keeper is the ressies who is improving every week.

I really don't understand why the Football Manager games have gone so far down the realistic football simulation route.

CM01/02 is class. You buy players, pick a team. Can get through a season over a few evenings and tactics are simple.

Curzon Ashton being a League One team is a joke but I'm looking forward to making them an established team in the League. A couple of seasons of mid table mediocrity would suit well now to get the stadium and training facilities upto scratch.
    Last edited by marktrett1; 08-09-17 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Not finished

24. The Following User Says Thank You to marktrett1 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Ok so after 3 days play in league one including pretty much a whole afternoon on Saturday. Season 4 has reached a conclusion for Curzon Ashton. Unfortunately it all went wrong this season and the cycle of back to back promotions has been broken

Curzon Ashton finished 8th in the league for their first season in League 1. Which if some mid season turmoil had have been resolved quicker by the management, harmony would have been restored and the team may have been playing Championship football next season.

So where to begin?

Pre-Season Signings:
    Daniel Bachman - GK - Loan
    Wayne Rooney - AMC/FC - Bosman (More on this to come)
    Michael Mandron - SC - Bosman
    Charles Vernam - AMC - Bosman
    Nicolai Brock Masden - SC - Bosman

So Wayne Rooney - contract was expired he is mid thirties so decided to pop in a cheeky indispensable to the club contract on £1,800 a week, with a 1.2 million signing on bonus and a minimum 2 year contract. (Basically my transfer budget) I started with 350K signing bonus and kept upping it until he agreed terms. He wasn't interested initially but eventually the deal was accepted - perseverance!

Chris Stokes my star left back decided to back stab the team after a couple of losses and blamed the rest of the team. Resulting is a lack of harmony at the club and virtually all players disliking Chris Stokes - my assistant highlighted that he was complacent and becoming entitled. Shifting responsibilities but putting in a 5/6 performance for a few weeks.

I made the mistake of keeping him in the squad and the team went on a monumental losing streak. However I tried transfer listing but the harmony at the club was still bad. I in the end resorted to releasing him on a free. This appeased the rest of the squad and we saw the season out moderately well. The loan keeper left in January and was a major knock for us. Sam Walker despite being the hero the season before performed shockingly in League One he conceded more than double the goals per games he had played.

Good news for the upcoming season. Although I'm still negotiating some new signings I have confirmed Ben Foster as a bosman which I'm hoping will solidify the GK position and instill some confidence at the back (for a whole season). I am also resisting the temptation to blow my transfer budget on another Wayne Rooney esque signing as he was plagued by injury most of the season. On the plus side he has renewed his contract and signalled his intention to see out his career with Curzon Ashton.

Season 5 is incoming...

vCash
    This can work but you will need interest/bids from other clubs.

Transfer list the players you don't want. If there's no immediate interest in them, set their value to zero. If a club makes an offer (zero), look to see if any of their players are available for part-exchange. If so, add one with a high value if it's a decent amount. When negotiating terms with the player, offer him shit wages so he won't sign. He's then omitted from the deal but the value of that player can be used to extract a transfer fee if the club you're dealing with has enough cash.

It doesn't always work but it can make you money. You can add another player to the part-exchange too but keep it realistic.