Results 3,451 to 3,471 of 3471

Thread: Jack to a King? – A Swansea City Story – by Redknapp69

vCash
    I don't think you need to be desperate to sign any more strikers, really

2. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by samsami View Post
    I don't think you need to be desperate to sign any more strikers, really
    No - think we are good as we are now and will cancel the incoming transfer as we have enough numbers and don't see him as better quality than what we have

bIg season for Salmon though otherwise he'll get sold

vCash
    I'd be getting both Salmon and Symes signed up to new deals now regardless of whether you might sell Salmon down the line.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Salas is great but the standout there is 23 goals in 26 games. WOW!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ebfatz View Post
    I'd be getting both Salmon and Symes signed up to new deals now regardless of whether you might sell Salmon down the line.
    Symes for sure and he's keen to sign

Salmon - meh - don't want to sign a player on a LT deal if not part of my plans (can understand to hold value but if no interested parties then I'm stuck with him) - we'll see how Salmon goes after a few months

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Salas is great but the standout there is 23 goals in 26 games. WOW!
    Yeah - Symes has made such an impact when playing!

And he's scored big numbers like 2 or 3 (and I think even 4!) in 1 game as well - so when he fancies it he's on

Have to question whether he should be first pick AHEAD of Salas/Keane for next season?!

vCash
    Salmon is a fan legend!

Should be signed to a long time contract and should retire at the club!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ZanSnake For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ZanSnake View Post
    Salmon is a fan legend!

Should be signed to a long time contract and should retire at the club!
    Wahahahaha - he did do really well last year - not sure what happenedd this year

Too big for his boots? Bright ights and ladies of Swansea too much for him?

I thought it may have been lack of chance to make an impact from bench but I did give him a lot of starts and still no joy!

Will be doing a couple of "Where are they now" posts over the weekend

Then we'll crack on with the game next week over the summer, see what deals go through, where we'll go for pre-season etc!

vCash

Something different to break up the season……..

A quick trip down memory lane to see how the players released by the Swans over the years have got on since……….

Here are those we sold/released OVER THREE years ago

Of those that have departed, some have now retired such as…………

Barry Hayles – journeyman forward who was a stop gap for us and helped out
    Michael Howard – VERY average att’s but was BRILLIANT LBfor us – Soooooooo steady – like Denis Irwin
    Mark Yates – he was a BEAST DM for us but when I think we signed him was 32
    John RobinsonWELSH International and was a solid player but struggled to hold down a first team place
    Lee Matthews – Don’t really remember him but he’s now Northampton manager!
    Emerson ThomeBEAST DC – only played a couple of seasons for us at 34+ but was a steady rock
    Henning Berg – Everyone knows him for his Man U and Blackburn career but was superb for us
    Damien Lacey – one of the Swans “originals” – like Michael Howard, had very average att’s but was a DESTROYER of a DM

Paul Burns

Swansea Career?

Signed as a youth player on a FREE

Couple of goals when started out this story but didn’t get a sniff of a chance since then!

Sold for FREE to Rob Roy club (GREAT NAME!) in Scotland

What’s he done since?
    Torn it up at Rob Roy and his att’s have improved

All relative at that level though!

Was I correct to sell him? (Yes/No/Maybe)

Hell yeah!

What’s he up to “In Real Life” I hear you ask?!

Had a nice career in Scottish footie but then needed security so came out of the game and working an an engineer!

Richard Dunne

Swansea Career?

We dropped £500k on him from Man City on the hope of being a BEAST defender that could cover a couple of positions

Didn’t perform then kicked up a stink on a few occasions when he lost his place and upset dressing room

Sold for a £200k profit to Villa

What’s he done since?

Had a better 2nd season at Villa and I’m surprised they sold him for a loss

Shite at Ipswich but flourishing in Scotland now!

I always think “what could have been” – he has good defensive att’s so it’s frustrating it didn’t work out

gif upload

Had a real good career and a solid CB and leader

Now a pundit on BT Sport

Alan Tate

Swansea Career?

Signed on a free from Man Utd

His versatility was maybe his downfall as he couldn’t really nail RB or DC down during his Swans career with us

I was very much torn to leave him go as he does have good defensive att’s and fine leadership qualities but we sold him to Brum for £425

What’s he done since?

Still at Birmingham now 4 years later and a key player for them and consistently performing

He’s a Swans “Cult Hero” so I would have liked to have kept him. One of those calls that’s always tough to make

gif upload

Ended up playing local footie for Port Talbot Town and then in 2017 had his testimonial vs Man utd

But nobody will ever forget him for doing this

Darius Vassell

Swansea Career?

Superb att’s and we were VERY excited to sign him on a Bosman from Villa

Put in very good performances but just didn’t hit the back of the net enough

We then got £725k+ PLUS Ledley King AND Steffan Iversen in a swap deal with Spurs

What’s he done since?

Same as at Swans. Good performances but goal ratio nowhere near good enough

The curious case of Darius Vassell

It was a shame, but based on his goal record and the deal we got in return then…………

After a spell in Turkey, he went back to Leicester but then from the age of 31 to 36 he did not have a club and only retired then at 36!

Now he’s doing some co-commentary for Aston Villa’s matchday channel

Gylfi Sigurdsson (not – not THAT one!)

Swansea Career?

Signed on a Bosman from his Swedish club as a versatile defender (and I HAD to buy him ‘cos of his name!)

Did a decent job for me covering a few positions but failed to play the next season when surplus to requirements

Was then sold to Wigan for £325k

What’s he done since?

Still at Wigan 4 years on and been great for them

They finished 3rd in Championship and currently in the play off to see if they get promoted to the Premier League!

Yeah – was no more than a stop gap and a versatile one for me but glad he’s having a good first team career now

No idea sorry – anything I find brings up the SWANS LEGEND Gylfi that we all know and love
    Last edited by Redknapp69; Today at 01:30 AM.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Vassell doesn't score enough goals for his ability... very realistic

16. The Following User Says Thank You to the villan For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the villan View Post
    Vassell doesn't score enough goals for his ability... very realistic
    Wahahaha - very true!

Bizarre he’s never done it anywhere in the game

I couldn’t fault his effort and teamwork but he was paid to hit the back of the net!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Maybe i'm being a bit harsh on him in real life, just had a look at his stats and his record was decent when he was younger but the goals seemed to dry up when he was 24/25.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to the villan For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Shows how far you've come, there was some dross back then

Forgot all about Hayles

Vassell, remember being disappointed you got rid after just a year but that was a great deal. You Levy'd Spurs!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash

24. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the villan View Post
    Maybe i'm being a bit harsh on him in real life, just had a look at his stats and his record was decent when he was younger but the goals seemed to dry up when he was 24/25.
    Yeah - crazy to think he didn't have a club from 31 to 36 either!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by samsami View Post
    Dross .... lol....
    New word for you

That "dross" got us up the leagues though

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Shows how far you've come, there was some dross back then

Forgot all about Hayles

Vassell, remember being disappointed you got rid after just a year but that was a great deal. You Levy'd Spurs!

How very dare you Mr Hendo - you more than anyone would know how such players pulled us through the leagues!

Bazza Hayles was a 1 season wonder I think. Still had some fine att's at his age and "knew the leagues" well - was a great foil for whoever was his trike partner

I got a great deal "on paper" - didn't really work out that way though. We'll prob come onto Iversen and King in future but neither really performed - prob made some cash on them being sold though

vCash

Willy Gueret

Swansea Career?

I needed a backup keeper and gave Millwall £24k for him

Did what he needed to do as a backup and actually did ok when stepping in for “Big Rog” in season 2

Released on a FREE at end of contract to Chester

What’s he done since?

Pretty much been a first teamer but performances have been average……….at best!

Hell yeah! Never better than a backup in the league we were in at the time!

Most famous for getting arrested after the game when Swansea were promoted

Swansea legend Leon Britton picks up to the story. "All promotions are very special but the promotion at Bury was a great day,"

"The game was great, we managed to score so, so early through Adrian Forbes and then the last 10 minutes it was about trying to keep the fans off the pitch.
    "They kept coming on and I remember Lee Trundle had been subbed at that point so Kenny Jackett sent him around to the other side of the crowd to try and get them to keep off the pitch.
    "After the game, we had Willy Gueret getting arrested after celebrating in the directors’ box and we ended up waiting outside the police station on the bus with a bottle of Jack Daniels - which was his favourite drink - waiting for him to get back on the bus."

Wayne Carlisle

Swansea Career?

Bought for £50k as such a versatile player!

Was great covering full back areas and CM for me in his time here. Never moaned about his situation and plugged all manner of gaps!

As we progressed through the leagues I wasn’t convinced by his quality and also didn’t know his best position

Sold to Reading for FREE but 25% of next transfer fee

What’s he done since?

Playing week in, week out and some fine performances – but they are in League 2 (the “old” 4th Division)

Probably, although if I knew his best position he could have flourished playing with higher quality players

gif upload

Stayed in the game in various coaching roles and now heading it all up at Exeter City!

Rory May

Swansea Career?

A £150k “punt” on him being a good striker when I was sucked in by his finishing/heading/jumping and strength att’s!

Didn’t perform in reserves as a kid and never got a first team chance

Bit Stoke’s hand off when they offered £70k and 25% of next fee for him

What’s he done since?

He’s had his chances at Stoke and not taken it – now wants to move on – hope he does as we’ll get a tickle!

Yep – not one of my finest punts!

Had more clubs than Jack Nicklaus

Liam Miller

Swansea Career?

Picked up for a song from Celtic!

He was a solid squad rotation player for me in the CM spots

Mutual agreement for him to leave to get more game time as we accepted a £350k fee from Sheff Utd for him

What’s he done since?

Had a rather good season with Sheff Utd then bizarrely they didn’t play him

He left on a Bosman but I’m surprised he’s dropped out of the leagues for Non-League Oxford where he is tearing it up – LOOK AT THOSE STATS!

I look at those att’s and I think not, but midfield is an area which has been tough competition over the years

gif upload

He didn’t half have some good clubs on his CV (below) and then when coaching in the US he was undergoing treatment for cancer.

I’m very sad to say he passed away last year at such a young age

And an emotional match took place in his memory - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45637667

Steve Phillips

Swansea Career?

Signed on a Bosman to be our 2nd keeper behind “Big Rog”

Did really well when he came in for him in first season. A fine 2nd keeper for me

But an offer of £1.1m with 25% future fee was far too good to turn down from Dundee Utd!

What’s he done since?

Bizarrely they have not played him ONCE

From the role he was performing – no

But for that offer when we needed the cash – it was a no brainer!

Finished his career at Yeovil last year – and now he’s their goalkeeper coach!

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash

30. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

vCash
    So to the aftermath of that remarkable season.

Surprised your world rep is still so low, maybe it'll take until after the summer update for it to correct itself and push you right up among the elite. Plenty of money in the bank too, and still season ticket money and TV revenue to come ahead of next season, I know you love a bosman but with all that money and an increased rep you should be challenging to get some of the best players in the world, although wages maybe a problem. Did you ask for the training facilities to be improved as well as the ground expansion or are they already the best they can be?

Agree with keeping Vaughan for the season ahead before he leaves on a free, I never understood the signing of Williams in the first place. Funny how no one looked at agility for a keeper till I mentioned it in Mark's story and now he's first to mention it with Jevric I fully agree with him though you should definitely be able to find better out there, check the national u21 sides again, and to be honest I'd just get the two best available ones on loan, they aren't going to play anyway so may as well not pay wages for them.

Right back looks well stocked with Johnson, Andrews and the incoming Ferreira, no harm in keeping with Jones if he isn't unhappy and of course is a Welshmen. Rustico and Finnan both doing a job at left back but at 32 (33 next week) and 33 it'd be good to get a younger option in too, shame Webb didn't work out as he'd have filled that role, so take yourself off to the national u21 sides again, a young Bixente Lizarazu should be around now I wouldn't renew Finnan's contract either, £21.5k per week for someone who isn't your first choice left back is too much, and at 33 his stats may decrease rapidly at any point. I think you'd already signed Malcolm before I said he was decent, that was on .60 though not .68 so that might be the difference, nice versatile option to have though but no quarrels with you listing him.

Centre backs I'd sign Luisao and Marinho, both the best stats wise, while Luisao is only 28 so you can have him for a good 5 years if he performs. I'd rather Pugh over Shaw, two years younger and much better marking and tackling stats, although both concern me positionally.

Agree with the others, no work to be done at DMC. maybe just start looking at potential players to replace Davids next year. I also concur with your thoughts about the current midfielders at the club, with Hartson gone maybe Bellamy will see more game time up front next season. Got screenies of the incoming players? From what I remember it was only Perez I liked the look of, this could be the best area to splash the cash on one or two players. Ah I see Mark asked further down, Perez and Simon should be signed, Lambert is horrendous though, creativity 8, passing, dribbling and finishing 10, they're not the stats of a top Premiership and European attacking midfielder at all!

You can definitely find better than O'Connor up front, hopefully Salmon will come on to a game again this season. That's some scoring rate for Symes while Salas had a hell of a season at 34! Hopefully Tevez has settled now and kick on next season, some good options along with Keane here.

None of them players are a miss for you, some story about Gueret though!

vCash
    What did Gueret get arrested for?!

That was some deal for Phillips!

Carlisle should have been great, never performed for you.

vCash
    Steve Philips is one of my all time favourite ODB goalies. Many a top title won with him between the sticks!