Page 162 of 193 FirstFirst ... 152158159160161162163164165166172 ... LastLast
Results 4,026 to 4,050 of 4808

Thread: Jack to a King? – A Swansea City Story – by Redknapp69

Tournaments Won: 4

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Great to see Langfield do well again.

Looking forwards to seeing how you prepare for next season!

Langfield impressing

Yes - a BIG overhaul of squad (older guys moving on, bringing in youth, a LOT of change needed at DC and MORE players who are WELSH as quota has gone up to FOUR from next season)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ebfatz View Post
    I don't find that. Super solid in the County Championship wherever I've been.
    Agree Ebz - I've always found it solid enough

I'm shite at tactics so has served me reasonably well over the years in CML/DTL comps etc )nowhere near as good as you guys that are good with tactics)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Dalglish's Smile View Post
    IT is really strong, especially scores a lot of goals for a NWW formation, but can be exploited down the wings IMO, especially by wingbacks
    My fullback have generally done well over the years with 4132 - can't say I'm detailed enough (or care that much) to look into it further like some of you guys do which I find brilliant as we all look into different things and the likes of yourself, Madscientist, Samsami etc love all that

vCash
    I'll have to check what the opposition is playing whenever I lose. Good knowledge
    Looked back at last 5-6 league games we lost in league (all relatively recent)

Looks 50/50 whether they had wingers or not

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    Looked back at last 5-6 league games we lost in league (all relatively recent)

Looks 50/50 whether they had wingers or not
    I think KDS meant wingbacks and not wingers but I may be mistaken.

vCash

Final game of the season away to Arsenal who are stranded in mid table

But fair play, they are on the march and have only been improving during the season

Team News

NOTHING on the game so I rest the first team players to avoid any unwanted injuries/suspensions!

A few goodbye’s here!

Vaughan comes into goal for what will be his last game before contract expires

Yepes and Shaw in DC – don’t see me wanting to keep either!

A midfield of Giggs, Richardson (remember him?!) and Simon

I want to try Bellamy up front as I’m thinking of doing that next year – he partners Tevez. Randall given a bench spot. Talented kid but not really done it in the reserves or made an impact when given (very few) chances

The Game

"Who cares about the scoreline? – let’s all play rush goalie in the final game!

We’ve DESTROYED them first half – Tevez especially lively – but you know what happens………….

Arsenal score on brink of half time!

But we’re on level terms as Pisani goes on a mega run and blasts low into the corner!

Short lived though as Guayre grabs his 2nd of the game as he heads home from Vassell’s cross

Both teams have nothing to play for and it’s kamikaze stuff at the end – everyone forgets about defence and jut wants to attack

All of which means no more goals but an entertaining game for the fans to finish the season off!

Ex Swan Vassell gets the MOM vote today

Spoiler!

Man Utd and Liverpool win but it makes no odds to the table – Top 4 remain where they are

While Norwich, Bolton and Forest get relegated!

Finance Update

We receive a nice chunk of prize money which is well needed for the coffers!

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash

9. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Forest fans take consolation from the fact that their 13 points is still better than Derby's 11

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Kenny Dalglish's Smile For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by samsami View Post
    End of season. The fun starts!

And there's money in the cashbox again.
    Not sure it's fun but a decent rebuil and restructure starts!

A little cash in the pot but that's wiped with 1 top player

The WELSH scouts are out!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Dalglish's Smile View Post
    Forest fans take consolation from the fact that their 13 points is still better than Derby's 11
    Wahahahahaah - good point - they were bloody awful that season IRL weren't they

vCash
    won ONE game.

ONE!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Kenny Dalglish's Smile For This Useful Post:

Tournaments Won: 9

vCash
    Vassell at Arsenal

Let's see if you can raise some cash for players you want to move on. Every little helps!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Vassell at Arsenal

Let's see if you can raise some cash for players you want to move on. Every little helps!
    Good 'ol Darius - grafted hard but numbers not great with us - seems the same since he left!

Most of our "outgoing" players willbe on a fre or little cash as oldies!

vCash
    Season and Squad Review

As is the norm at the end of the season I meet with the Board (Swans Trust) to review how the season went and what state the squad is in and to discuss and summer dealings

Swans Trust: Redders, another season gone then – your NINTH with the club

Redders: Blimey – how time flies when you’re having fun!

Swans Trust: A very good season in our eyes. Another trophy in the cabinet and “oh so close” in the League and Champions League

Redders: Aye - VERY much an up and down season if we’ve ever had one! Great to bag an early cup and that’s probably the closest we’ve come in the Champions League! But we faced a cracking team in Barca

Redders: But I have to admit severe frustration in the Premier League. We had a very big (albeit early doors) lead and then ourselves and Man Utd both had wobbles. But then our form back end of the season was poor and we paid the price

Swans Trust: What do you put that down to?

Redders: Well, a few things but for sure we prioritised the Champions League. But going forward I think we should focus domestically again and look to win the league if possible.

Swans Trust: Why the change of tac? It has been a burden financially bringing in the experienced players – but we appreciate they helped give us our best chance to date

Redders: Agree and in my last couple of years I want to try and leave the club financially stable. The premier League is also our “bread and butter” and it would be great to give our fans another league title if we can!

Summary

League: Lead the league but a boatload of points early doors, then imploded, only for Utd to have a dip and we climb above them but then tables turned during the run in! – 2nd

Champions League: A helluva run and some HUGE wins along the way against the like of PSG, Juventus, Bayern Munich and Roma in Quarter Finals. No shame going out to Barcelona but we do have a tinge of regret of that 1st half in the 1st leg – what could have been……… Semi Finalists

League Cup: Sunderland, Norwich, Coventry and Chelsea all despatched before beating Blackburn in the final – WINNERS!

FA Cup: Dumped out in 3rd round after we were down to 10 men but still got superkeepered by Birmingham – 3rd Round

Stats

Goalkeepers

Swans Trust: Goalkeepers then – always an area we’ve been strong in – looks like same again this season?

Redders: Pretty much so – yes. Yury as ever has been excellent. But like last season. He had a bad spell at the worst time – during the run in and business end of the season

Swans Trust: What’s the reason for this? Do we need to be worried?

Redders: To be honest I think he’s just blown a gasket. He played 52 games and physical but also mentally goosed. But he does have more competition for his place next year as well in Jamie Langfield that we signed in January

Swans Trust: He looks to have done ok when given the chance. Competition for Yury can only help him (and give him a breather in some of the “easier” games)

Redders: Indeed – we’ll see who’s up for the battle in pre-season!

Swans Trust: Then we’ve been informed that WELSHman Jason Vaughan doesn’t ant to sign a new deal and will leave on a free at the end of the season

Redders: Yes, and I have no complaints. He has been a very able “backup” over the years and been a fine servant for us. It’s only right he’s allowed to go play first team footie somewhere

Swans Trust: Leaves a hole to fill then – anyone in mind?

Redders: Not as of yet. We may try and source a local WELSH lad but I’m loathe spend a load of cash and wages on 3rd choice

Swans Trust: OK – well, we are in pretty good shape here – quick loo stop and then we’ll come onto the defence………..

Please let me know of any player screenies you would like to see
    Last edited by Redknapp69; 10-05-19 at 07:57 PM.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

ebfatz is offline Social Media Bod
    Former Holy Trinity Member
    Stories Mod
    Tournaments Won: 1

vCash
    Young Welsh up and comer to be signed then. Stick him in the reserves and let him grow. Wouldn't get near first team action with those two ahead of him anyway. The occasional bench spot maybe.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Young Welsh up and comer to be signed then. Stick him in the reserves and let him grow. Wouldn't get near first team action with those two ahead of him anyway. The occasional bench spot maybe.
    Slight issue in that - ZERO WELSH keepers under 24

vCash

25. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Langfield should get a chance. But what a pity that you don't have any Welsh goalies!!!
    Yeah - will be a pre-season attle for No.1 spot!

Well,we had a LOT of WELSH goalies over the years - to the point where you guys suggested they should be sold

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Definitely needed to get a teenage Welsh goalkeeper in, shame there doesn't seem to be any out there. Try typing Welsh into player search and see if there are any teenage freebies who are goalkeepers

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Definitely needed to get a teenage Welsh goalkeeper in, shame there doesn't seem to be any out there. Try typing Welsh into player search and see if there are any teenage freebies who are goalkeepers
    That's the search criteria (with GK posiion) I did!

Suppose I could trawl Welsh league teams

Nowt in Wales U21's either

vCash

Swans Trust: Full Backs then. Again, historically another area where we have been blessed over the years

Redders:
    Yep indeedy and we’ve also brought in some European experience last couple of years which has given us mixed results.

Redders: OK – Left Backs up first then……….

Left Backs

Swans Trust: Well, I think we can all agree that Owen Hargreaves has been an excellent signing!

Redders: Completely! He’s at his peak now and is playing like it! Supremely versatile. He’s mostly been at LB but has covered RB admirably as well and could even play in DM. Delighted with him and he’s a nailed on first team player next year!

Swans Trust: How have our 2 Italians done this season then? Rustico and Pisani?

Redders:
    Well, Pisani has done pretty well. He has largely covered Hargreaves but when he has come in he’s been solid and even bagged a couple of goals with 3 assists!

Swans Trust: Looks a solid backup to Hargreaves then – happy days

Redders: Agree. Now onto Rustico………..

Swans Trust: That tone doesn’t sound good

Redders: He’s had a real poor season for me. His attributes are still fantastic but he’s struggled for some reason. Could be age, rumours that he hasn’t fully settled. He’s been played mostly DC but also DL and hasn’t done great in either this year. Given his age and his contract runs out in a year then I think we should transfer list him

Swans Trust: We agree based on Pisani is an able deputy and also as we agree the squad should be more youthful. He’ll be informed of the decision straight away.

Right Backs

Swans Trust: Are we looking equally as comfortable on the right hand side Redders?

Redders: Not so much………

Swans Trust: Sounds worrying?!

Redders: Well, it’s not as bad as that. We do have the ever dependable Lee Andrews. He was brilliant for us. His form tailed off a little towards the end due to number of games and I had to play him out of position in DC but he is for sure likely to be our first choice RB next year.

Swans Trust: And with his deal expiring in 2 years, he’s willing to sign fresh terms for only 14k a week so we’ll look to tie him down

Redders: Lovely stuff. OK, next up is Paulo Ferriera. I’ve been disappointed with him. Granted, he hasn’t had that many opportunities, but when he has, he hasn’t exactly set the world alight. However, unless anything else crops up then he can remain as a backup player as I’d likely switch Hargreaves if required

Swans Trust: Sounds reasonable and again, he’s on a low wage

Redders: Finally, young Dean Phillips. Hasn’t really cut the mustard in the reserves and he’s out of contract next month so we’ll leave him go and wish him well.

Swans Trust: Fair enough. We do have some other WELSH exciting prospects who have done well in reserves we’ll talk about later. OK -in summary it looks like we are ok in this area. If something does crop up who’s preferred to Ferreira we can look at that but otherwise it’s not an area we need major focus on

Please let me know of any player screenies you want to see!

32. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash

vCash
    I say, let's give those Welsh exciting prospects a chance then!
    They are more midfielders though!

We'll come onto them later.......

vCash
    Centre Backs

Swans Trust:
    Centre Backs then Redders. There seems to have been a lot of chopping and changing here – this seems like it might take a while…………….fancy a whiskey?!

Redders: It will! On the rocks for me please

Redders: OK – let’s start off with a positive then. Olaf Mellberg is a proper defender and never let’s me down. Don’t get me wrong, he may not be my preferred 1st name on the team sheet for me but he’s played more games this season there than anyone else which says something! Very dependable. His contract runs out next year and he’ll be 33 then so it’s likely we’ll keep him for next seasons then leave him leave on a free as a mark of respect

Swans Trust: Fair enough – can’t fault a 7/10 player! Talking about expiring contracts – Stephane Henchoz?

Redders: He was amazing for us 2 years ago and solid enough this season but legs now seem an issue. He will leave next month with our VERY best wishes

Swans Trust: Agreed – he did a fine job for us but the fella is 36 now! (and on best part of £49k per week!)

Redders: Marinho up next then. He had a slow start to his career with us but when he came into the team he didn’t really look back and was at a high standard. Very pleased with him. But his contract expires in the next few weeks

Swans Trust: Sounds like an extension for a year then?

Redders: I disagree – I can see how you took my words but if we are serious about getting fresh blood in then we have to be ruthless here. He is another we will let go and wish him well

Swans Trust: Ruthless Redders with the “old guard” – some of the pundits will be impressed with this

Redders: Ryan Pugh next up. He was seen as the better player out of him and Shaw that we signed last season. He’s learned his trade in the reserves for a few months and then slowly was given an opportunity in the first team. He’s done ok. A few rickets early doors but has improved since. I’m happy to keep him as a squad player for next season

Swans Trust: Where does that leave Shaw then?

Redders: Not particularly shone in the reserves which for sure is a lower level and then when he was given chances in first team struggled – I think he has more development as a lad but it’s not really a project I want to invest a huge amount of time in. I recommend we transfer list him but if there are no buyers then we can see if he improves at all in reserve football

Swans Trust: Tell us about the “livewire” that is Mario Yepes then?

Redders: Well, he’s been our poorest perfomer in the recent season. No idea what’s happened but he’s REALLY struggled in games. Maybe he’s missing South America. He has a year left on his contract but from last seasons form and his age we should transfer list him and see if we can free up the wage

Swans Trust: OK – well, that sounds like a LOT of “out’s” and only Pugh and Mellberg to remain! But the club has been busy behind the scenes working with you and there are a few replacements – tell us about them……….

Redders: Cedric Ferrand and Martin McCann are both VERY young central defenders but both look extremely talented. McCan has been playing the Premier League for strugglers Norwich – and he’s been a standout performer getting rave reviews – we are excited by him and he could be straight in the first team!

Swans Trust: Great to hear – a risky strategy, but one we like. Let’s go for it!

Redders: Then, everyone will be pleased to know we have FINALLY got the WELSHman David Vaughan. He may not have the best defensive att’s but he’ll for sure be in the first team squad given our new quote of FOUR WELSH players in the XI

Swans Trust: The fans are very excited by that signing! But one they are not sure about is Mohamed Hassan – what do we know of him

Redders: Well, not too much! The fella didn’t start playing untul he was 25 years old! But he has some beastly att’s. Hey – it’s a proper “punt” but one I’m willing to take given it’s a low transfer fee and we can gauge him as a squad player

Swans Trust: OK. So that’s 6 centre backs by our reckoning. A good number but in some ways if an absolute belter came onto the market it should be one to consider given this is a key position

Redders: I agree – and thanks for the backing!

Please let me know if you want to see any player screenies

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Can't argue with your comments.

LB - Disappointed with both Italians, Pisano been OK though.

At RB - Definitely need fresh legs there.

DC - Old people's home! Good to see you're planning to fresh things up a bit. Could be just what you need to stop the kind of drop in form at the end of the season.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post: