Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack to a King? A Swansea City Story by Redknapp69

vCash

Late show seals victory for the “Jacks”!

Second game in the league and the 1st at “Fortress” Vetch Field! Home to Rushden & Diamonds

Terry Evans still out as RB while Paul Reid and more importantly Lee Jenkins both have injuries that puts them out for a few days and both will miss the game.

Given that, Gareth Phillips come into the midfield 3 where and straight in goes Goodfellow for his debut – Watkin (who I think will cope well with away games due to experience and his tough guy attitude) drops to the bench. Keaveney omitted from squad

A very tight first half which we shaded but could not get the goal

2nd half is much like the first and Jackson takes the mantle of running the game. After 63 minutes he take the ball forward and batters it in the back of the net!

Then a nervy end to the game until Jackson goes past a couple and slots it home!

Again a top TEAM performance! The stats and result make it seem more comfortable than it was “watching” it

Spoiler!

Swansea navigate easy passage to next round of EFL Cup

Away to Bury in the 1st round of the EFL Cup

We kept our strongest team going to keep the good rhythm going and it paid off!

10 minute spell ended the game as we scored 3 goals through Thomas, Jackson and Phillips

While O’Leary added one for good measure in the closing stages

Domination and went a lot smoother than I could have ever have hoped for!

EVERYONE played their part in this game. Very good vibes flowing through the club at the moment

Spoiler!

Everton will be the next opponents in 2nd round of League Cup – at the Vetch field – Shame it’s not away as we would have made a few quid off that

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

GFRay is online now Member of the Month
    Tactics Mod
    UML Mod
    VIP
    vCash
    Good start Redders!

Do you use your own player instructions on that 4-1-3-2 or the default ones?

vCash
    Interesting that you're adopting different tactics home and away. It's always something that I've thought about but never employed. Too lazy to change it Might have to do that in my next game.

Goodfellow yet to score and subbed in both games so far!
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GFRay86 View Post
    Good start Redders!

Do you use your own player instructions on that 4-1-3-2 or the default ones?
    Have NEVER used player instructions in all my days of playing CM

I'm very much a simple kind of fellow when it comes to tactics. Never wib wob, choose a standard tactic or make my own up and then let's just see how it goes

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Interesting that you're adopting different tactics home and away. It's always something that I've thought about but never employed. Too lazy to change it Might have to do that in my next game.

Goodfellow yet to score and subbed in both games so far!

I always do that as sort of real life I suppose but then sometimes I find it doesn't work and just stick with the same

Goodfellow just a random sub in 1st game

2nd game he had a niggle at HT so changed him

vCash

An away point with 10 men!

2 games in 2 days is a real test for this small squad.

First up is Leyton Orient away. We have a full strength team out for this but Watkin comes in for his experience and more of a defensive look in CM.

We had the better of the 1st half but couldn’t find the elusive goal

Then the game changed………RED CARD for O’Leary after 32 mins when he had already been booked. Squaring up to an opponent after a challenge. No need for it

We made a tactical change and took off Watkin and left Thomas up front on his own given he seems to be our key threat

The 2nd half was as much about holding them out as it was trying to take advantage of any counter attacks we had.

A draw it is then – will take that given we were a man less for most of the game!

A big shoutout to the central defensive spine of Smith/Mumford and Lacey who were excellent!

Spoiler!

A thumping win against 2nd placed Exeter!

At home to 2nd placed Exeter just 2 days later!

Quite a few fatigued players but given we are playing one of the front runners (we are 3rd) then I felt I had to stick with my chosen first XI in thinking this is my best chance of a positive outcome

WOW – dominated the first half and 3 goals up by HT courtesy of Jenkins and a brace for Thomas

Exeter came back into it 2nd half but couldn’t get past our defence.

Jason Smith rounded the game off with a 4th

As I was confident at HT I took of Mumford and Jenkins as hoping they can be fit for the next game in a few days time. Late subbing off star striker Thomas for Steve Watkin

Again the team is playing great but the pick of the bunch were the strikers. Thomas MOM but Goodfellow with an excellent game and unlucky not to get a goal

Spoiler!

Current League table and Swans are flying high and just realised that ZERO goals conceded

After the game there was much hype around young James Thomas in the bright start he had made to the season. I agreed that he had started well but privately told him there is no letting up if he wants to realise his dream of being one of the country’s best.
    He’s recently signed a new deal and is loving life in South Wales

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash

The month starts off with me winning “Manager of the Month” for August

It’s obvious what will happen next isn’t itwhen you win that……………………….

Red mist falls again as Swansea lose first game of the season!

The whole squad back to full fitness so a full strength team is chosen!

We started the game well and had the better of the first half

Just as the half was ending this happened……………….

Spoiler!

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

No sub changes made but Goodfellow dropped back into a AM/FWD position

1 minute later , and Jamie Cook from their teams fecking waltzes about 60 yard without any of our guys touching a glove on him and 36 year old(!) Neil Redfearn fecking scores!

I am FUMING at half time

No doubt Jenkins is in for a big ban and he is my key midfielder. But feck that, we’ve got a game to get back into here!

We gave what for in the 2nd half and to be fair to the lads, they put a shift in, but we couldn’t hit a barn door today

A devastating result – but maybe one that brings us down to earth and the realisation we are not to going walk this league!

Spoiler!

Lee Jenkins has since been fined 2 weeks wages. He made no comment and I’m not fecking surprised – he should be ashamed of his actions
    The FA has also suspended him for at least 3 games – there could be worse to come

Transfer deadline has no closed with no more In’s/Outs from Swansea – we will go with what we have!

After the window closed, Sunderland came in with a 375k Transfer for Andrew Mumford. He’s a very good player but everyone has their price. I countered back with 1 million and a 25% sell on fee. Sunderland gave up!

I was delighted to see Lee Jenkins extended his contract from 2003 to 2005. Deserved based on his season form before the red case

A vital winner gets the Swans back on track!

At home to Carlisle and a full team apart from the banned Jenkins

An action filled first half with chances everywhere

We opened the scoring in the 32nd Minute with Jason Smith with a bullet header from a corner!

2nd half and we came on strong looking for the second goal

But we got sucker punched in the 73rd minute by a header from a set piece goal. Mumford who was carrying an injury may lost some of his leap vs his opponent

Frustrated by this, I made a triple sub

Still no goal for Goodfellow, and Jackson and O’Leary in CM replaced

And it worked a treat! Philiips got on the end of Lacey’s ball to get the winner!

A real tough game there but credit to the lads for digging in deep to pull the rabbit out of the hat!

Spoiler!

Final news of the update is Southampton poaching one of our coaches – but we did get 70k in return and I have identified what looks to be an upgrade as well

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Great work so far! Unlucky with that loss but the season is long and you got straight back on track with a win right afterwards. Seems like you have managed to show the other teams in the league that your not there to fool around!

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ThePsi For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Yes - I am suprised so far how well it is going as the squad isn't great and am just doing a bang average 4132 tactic with no wib wob

I seems to have a few players who are standing out which is Thomas who seems a goal machine, jenkins in midfield (until he started ) and "Big Rog" in goal who is a Swansea stalwart!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    So what does the table look like now, after that loss and that win??

17. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by samsami View Post
    So what does the table look like now, after that loss and that win??
    In 2nd place

I'll put a table up goig forward with every post

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Thomas scoring for fun, hopefully Goodfellow will do likewise soon.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to AMC For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Thomas scoring for fun, hopefully Goodfellow will do likewise soon.
    Interesting update coming tonight on these 2

vCash
    A love triangle involving Miss Swansea?

24. The Following User Says Thank You to AMC For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Interesting theory for down the line

vCash

Just looking at the home attendances over the first few games
    Rushden (H) – 6,218
    Exeter (H) – 5,635
    Carlisle (H) – 7,721

So – with a capacity of 10,420, we still have more work to do in order to show the City that we have a team who is capable of playing entertaining football

“5 Star” Swans demolish Rochdale in a thrilling 2nd half!

Steve Watkin comes in for Goodfellow and Phillips for Reid in midfield to have more solid look for this away game v Rochdale. Lee Jenkins still suspended

We completely outplayed Rochdale in the first half but thwarted by Neil Edwards in their goal…………….that was until James Thomas struck in the 41st minute!

The 2nd half was much of the same – but Rochdale couldn’t hold out. An inspired Kristian O’Leary scored a brace as well as Jackson and FINALLY Goodfellow opens his Swansea account with a goal!

Rochdale did pick up a consolation but nothing more than that

Pretty much everything we touched in the 2nd half turned into gold here. A very big result given Rochdale are still in the play off places

Spoiler!

Swans are ”Universally Challenged” by Cambridge!

Absolute hum dinger of a first half with both teams going right at it

Cambridge score first - This was yet another goal where a simple knock down, then the player was not picked up to run at goal and score

Goodfellow tries a pot-shot in th2 4th minute and to his amazement in goes in!

Kitson was once again Cambridge’s danger man and although Freestone does well to push away his shot, the follow up is tapped in

We trail 2-1 at home at HT – much to do…………..

The 2nd half ticks along with us huffing and puffing but to a man the Cambridge defence were superb and just one of thos days where you feel it won’t go your way 

Goodfellow was named MOM but O’Leary had a shocker. O'Leary seems like a Jekyll and Hyde character on the pitch. Sublime 1 week, Shambles the week after!

Spoiler!

Latest standings in the table…………..

Last edited by Redknapp69; 04-09-17 at 12:01 AM.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Two strange games. Everything went well against Rochdale and then you lose at home when you were by far the better team!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by samsami View Post
    Two strange games. Everything went well against Rochdale and then you lose at home when you were by far the better team!
    Yep - just one of those days sadly

Huge games in next update - Welsh derby v Wrexham and the 2nd round EFL League Cup tie v Everton

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Just caught up, glad to see Goodfellow off the mark! It's looking very tight up there in the league table.
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Just caught up, glad to see Goodfellow off the mark! It's looking very tight up there in the league table.

yep - still early doors in the season and not much in it.

I'll be chuffed if we get in the play offs

Will check in a month or so about any potential January or Bosman signings

But there is transfer news in one of the next updates.............

vCash
    Nice idea and a very good start to your tenure, especially without the use of wib/wob. Loved your interview at the start.

Looking forward to seeing how this pans out.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to CMAdventurer For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CMAdventurer View Post
    Nice idea and a very good start to your tenure, especially without the use of wib/wob. Loved your interview at the start.

Looking forward to seeing how this pans out.

Thanks - more interviews to come as well as some likely off field action

FYI - about half the squad is Welsh so at the moment I have no issues hitting the 3 Welsh players minimum as part of the squad - I think this will be more of a test in the seasons to come but I'll be keeping an eye on it so we have "lovcal" talent key to the club

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash

So – It’s EFL Cup time – 2nd Round against Everton at home. This is going to be tough. If it was away we would have had a windfall but 6,246 head to the Vetch Field to see us taking on Premier league opponents!

A brace for a 17 year old bluenose on his debut knocks the Swans out of the Cup!

A much as we respect the opponent, I didn’t want us to be deep and be sitting ducks so the plan was to go out for a hard fast start!

And that’s exactly what we had with Jenkins and Thomas exchanging passes with the later gliding past an aging David Weir. With his left peg Thomas strikers into the back of the next – WHAT A START!

Maybe it was normal that the players wanted to hold onto the lead which played into Everton’s hands who had the best of the remaining first half and the inevitable equaliser came but from a set piece source. 17 year old Stephen Beck scores on his debut from the free kick!
    Take a look at him as well – looks fecking awful but a genius at set pieces as he just proved

Spoiler!

So 1-1 at HT which I would have taken before the game

With a local derby v Wrexham in a couple of days time, the last thing I want is extra time so implored the guys to go out and give it all they could

A cracking effort in 2nd half we were arguable the better team, but that man again Stephen Beck capping a dream debut by getting the winner

The lads were on their knees at the end of the game and did the City proud which was appreciated by the crowd

Gutted to be going out of the cup at what looks to be a 2nd string Everton side but we’ll learn lessons from this and held our own for much of the match. No time to rest with a Welsh “derby” coming up……..

Spoiler!

Injury News
    First choice Left Back Michael Howard is out for a month and will likely miss the next 5-6 league games.

There is no real alternative. I’m tempted to bring Ashley Williams in for some gametime but he’s only 16 and is absolutely awful from an att’s wise

Depending on the game I may throw him in and see if he can improve or maybe move Kristian O’Leary as he’s versatile and has excellent positioning

3rd vs 4th in the clash of North v South, Wrexham v Swansea in the League derby!

A hard fought draw in the battle of Wales!

There are quite a few tired bodies but the thought of a game vs Wrexham and the next league game not for a week make then “go again”

Goodfellow is struggling with his stamina and is something he’s working on in training so Watkin comes in for him and Keaveney on the bench

O’Leary slots in at left back and is a gamble from myself

Bizarre start to the game where Carl Bradshaw from Wrexham and our star striker James Thomas are both injured in the 4th minute – no reason given for the injuries and I am hoping it is not serious for our main man

20 year old Jon Keaveney comes on for Thomas. Go ‘ed lad!

Wrexham are the better team in the first half and deservedly go ahead in the 24th minute but shoot themselves in the foot by making a mistake and gifting the ball to Watkin to score an equaliser just before half time!

Alan Tate is exhausted at HT with recent games catch up with him and replaced by Theobald

The 2nd half passes with a lot of effort by both teams but lacking in quality and ends in a draw

With an injury to our star striker early doors, coming off the back of the Everton game and away at a local rival, I’ll take a point. But seeing Wrexham’s GK being named MOM is a bitter pill to swallow.
    Shout out to Jon Keaveney for a big impact when he came on for Thomas

We will look to have the guys recover as much as possible before the next game in a week’s time

Spoiler!

That draw see’s us keep 3rd place. 4 points behind the leaders but we’ve had a sticky spell of late

Post Match Interview – Wrexham Daily Post Reporter

Reporter: How would you describe that game?

Redders: It’s called Football and between 2 teams?!

Reporter: Ah very clever, anyway, how was the intensity between 2 Welsh team pitchside?

Redders: What? I have no idea what you are saying? Everyone knows you lot “up North” are a bit odd. You’re lucky we weren’t at full strength today otherwise you’d have got pummelled back to Anglesey!

Reporter: Are you struggling with size and quality within you’re squad then?

Redders: Look, every player that pulls on the white shirt will give their all for “Cyril the Swan” but yes – looking to add to the squad where we can will be something we can look at. But for now, and after an intense few games I will be taking the lads for a bit of R&R tomorrow to the “Three Cliffs” down the Gower Peninsula

Spoiler!

Injury News

After the press conference, it is confirmed that James Thomas is out for a month. This is a HUGE blow for a player that has scored 7 in 11 as well as 5 assist and 2 MOM with a rating of 8.18
    Can Goodfellow now prove he has the potential and work in a partnership with Watkin/Keaveney?
    Last edited by Redknapp69; 04-09-17 at 10:44 PM.

39. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Big blow losing Thomas for 2 months.

Trying to rack my brains of some good Welsh players but memory is failing me. Pretty sure Andy Williams was one that started as a freebie once? Paul Evans, an MC too?
    The Alphabet Game #3

vCash
    Big blow losing Thomas for 2 months.

Trying to rack my brains of some good Welsh players but memory is failing me. Pretty sure Andy Williams was one that started as a freebie once? Paul Evans, an MC too?

It's just the ONE month but still a blow

Crikey - you're going back the years on the Welsh players

I'm happy with what I have at the mo and the intention is to pick up quality Welsh players in future if I can - not to say those 2 were not

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast